Sign in to follow this  
sgt.sev3n

objectlimit for arma 3 ?

hello, i have read somethere in this forum that there is a limit for object placing. for arma 2 the limit was 4,000,000 objects per terrain.

how is the limit in arma 3 ? are we able to have more than 4,000,000 objects on a single terrain ?

if by objects you mean trees & rocks, i managed to place more than 4,000,000 without issues.

if by objects you mean trees & rocks, i managed to place more than 4,000,000 without issues.

yes i mean trees, rocks, buildings, signs, , wreckage objects like destroyed car, helicopter etc...

so if you can place more than 4,000,000 without problems, did you placed them in the ingame editor or with the editor visitors3 ?

He may have used world tools but cannot go around Visitor - afaik! Although there could be a way to directly implement the objects into the pew using Mikeros DePew...haven't tried!

When importing that large numbers of objects though, be aware that you have to split up the imports...I tried to import more than 1 million objects at once which led to a Visitor out of memory error.

Have a look at THIS chart to see the number of objects placed by BI.

The larger the object count, the less playable - but I guess you already had figured that out. That's one of the drawbacks I encountered when making my home terrain. It features large forests..and the average tree density in Germany is 800 in a 100x100m square! Okay, you can count out the small ones...but to create a realistic scenery, you gotta have to put done that density somehow...and thats whats not really possible atm...possible to create - yes, but also accessable to a large variety of users with thier respective specs - no.

I guess the biggest map ever made by man comes from PMC:

I guess the biggest map ever made by man comes from PMC:

Well, not just PMC

I did a 41km terrain too, called Sands. But my design was specificlly aimed at providing a BIG high frame-rate environment for aircraft operations (heap of airbases), hence the object count was kept lower.

Worked very well for that purpose.

Another terrain called Waves (released with my Frigates pack) was based on the same project, except I simply placed it 90% underwater :D

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?86880-Sands-41km-Desert-Terrain

sandsb.th.jpg

sandsc.th.jpg

Sands_9.jpg

Sands_A.jpg

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Sorry Gnat, just had PMC in mind because they combine large terrain PLUS a huge object count :)

He may have used world tools but cannot go around Visitor - afaik! Although there could be a way to directly implement the objects into the pew using Mikeros DePew...haven't tried!

I checked again and you were right, i only had around 3000000 objects. But i will try Depew to see if we can increase this limitation.

I've done 153km. 5,000,000 was the max object limit for the .pew file that buldozer/ visitor could handle without crashing, at least for me on several attempts to go beyond that. I'll also add there are terrain/ object geometry lod issues at this map size.