Sign in to follow this  
Eken

Black Window? in middle of screen since latest patch

Still, it gives fps drops :/

Like stated a page back, it doesnt mate.

The "black box of death" that pops up doesnt do anything to your game, its the error its displaying thats causing issues with the game.

Fix the error, the box will be gone and the script should run better :)

I believe BI wouldnt give a rats ass about undeclared variables, if it didnt do anything to the game, but since they are pointing them out now we can only assume they have a detremental effect on the game it self.

Its really hard for me to understand why people are yelling at BI for pointing out usermade mistakes.

Its like going to a carwash and then yelling at the guy who owns it because you forgot to close your windows in the car, during the wash.

When it comes to displaying the errors like they do now, i think its a great solution. Right in your face so you are forced to deal with it. Errors should NOT be hidden away tbh.

Its a hell of alot easier to provide feedback (both to BI and mission makers) when you have the error written all over the screen, compared to the error being hidden away in a log somewhere. Even if its "minor errors".

I'm sorry, but are you daft?

It is an indicator, not a process. It isn't doing anything other than telling you about the problems the game is having with certain scripts/configs/etc. Saying that it causes frame loss is no different from saying that your car's fuel gauge makes you run out of fuel.

This has been a problem for me since I started using AiA? Want to take an awesome screenshot? Can't, because there is some insignificant error in some script somewhere that I can't be assed to fix. In the middle of a firefight? Can't see the guy because the game is more concerned with telling you that a variable isn't defined? Too bad you got shot.

If it doesn't crash the mission, if it doesn't make the mission not do what it should, then it is not worth ruining my gameplay experience for.

Errors are only an issue if they cause problems. The only thing causing a problem right now is that damn, unmoveable, unmoddable (trust me, I found the script that makes it and tried to get rid of it that way), and unhideable bastard black box.

Make matters worse? They say that it should only be enabled in the dev mode in the latest patch, low and behold its still enabled in both the dev mode and regular mode.

If it doesn't crash the mission, if it doesn't make the mission not do what it should, then it is not worth ruining my gameplay experience for.

Make matters worse? They say that it should only be enabled in the dev mode in the latest patch, low and behold its still enabled in both the dev mode and regular mode.

Don't worry, you'll be bathed in blissful ignorance once again soon enough. Deleting the offending script probably wasn't a good idea and certainly no way to fix the issue.

The patch to return the masses back into unwitting supporters of bad code just went into dev branch the other day and there hasn't been a stable branch patch yet so that's why you're still seeing it in the stable build still.

Don't worry, you'll be bathed in blissful ignorance once again soon enough.

Thank heavens! ;)

I've always thought it would be nice to be able to move the showScriptErrors window around or have it default to a less obtrusive spot on the display, since I often play with it enabled to keep an eye on things, but really - this whole controversy was a non-issue as (here it comes) we're still in beta.