Sign in to follow this  
Eken

Black Window? in middle of screen since latest patch

Fix this damn error thingy that are constantly on the screen ever since the latest update of the game...

http://i.imgur.com/fdCx7Ra.jpg (513 kB)

Could not agree more! I'm very bummed about this.

Please don't anyone get their panties in a bunch defending BIS or attacking me about this. We're on the same side. I'm a huge fan of BIS and the Arma series. That's why I bought the supporter edition - gladly gave extra cash and bought in early to help things along. I know it's beta, and I know they have their reasons for doing this... but I still feel like I'm getting a bit 'o the shaft here. I was under the impression that I was going to be able to enjoy the game while it progressed through alpha-beta-release. But this decision has made the game unplayable.

Yeah, yeah, I know it can be argued that I can *probably still play the completely vanilla stuff w/o this. I say 'probably' because I wouldn't know. Because I have almost Never played the vanilla game. Only a bit here and there. Since day 1, I started not with the stock SP missions, but with my own missions in the editor, and with norrin's revive script (just for one example).

I don't write scripts, I just use them. But that's always been part of the wonderful attraction of this game. The fact that we can do that (thanks to the wonderful community of script writers, many of whom devote much time to helping folks enjoy all those scripts). I take bits and pieces that sound tasty to me, toss them into a mix of my choosing, and smile 'n play.

Not gonna make silly statements like "I'll never play Arma again", or any crud like that. Nor will I stop supporting BIS. Just more than a bit bummed that I had to stop enjoying the game (for now) after buying the supporter edition.

Hoping they decide to let people opt-out of those messages sooner rather than later. Please re-enable to "show script errors" option.

So, will BI actualy do something about it or just let it be? Since it really ruins the game experience. Having a huge fucking black window in your scope while trying to snipe someone is really hard... Started to use crosshair instead cause of it... And it FPS drops as hell everytime this shit comes up.

The solution is to fix the script errors you are seeing, not complain about being notified of them.

Risks of running dev version

Edited by Best2nd
Le me dumb

Risks of running dev version

Dev version? I'm playing regular beta.

The solution is to fix the script errors you are seeing, not complain about being notified of them.

It's generally not our own scripts and missions though -if this is this case, why not show the whole .rpt during every mission :rolleyes:

Would it really be so bad as to output similar to .rpt outside the game mission?

I am getting this error as well,

I have tried using "-nologs" parameter but to no avail.

It is being caused by SQFs having using undefined variables.

Problems with JayArmALib and CBA

I am getting this error as well,

I have tried using "-nologs" parameter but to no avail.

It is being caused by SQFs having using undefined variables.

Problems with JayArmALib and CBA

Problem is the latest patch.

Its not really a problem and its not a bug in the latest build.

Its BI's way of saying "If your making scripts/mods, do it right" basicly.

Contact the author of the scripts/mods that give theese errors and make them fix it.

I agree its not fun to see this box all day long, but if its there, somebody made a mistake in a script basicly :)

Contact the author of the scripts/mods that give theese errors and make them fix it.

I agree its not fun to see this box all day long, but if its there, somebody made a mistake in a script basicly :)

The thing is that people have been doing it right (or atleast were doing it right at the time), then this update came along and ended up spitting tons of errors out on commonly used scripts that had no errors before.

why not show the whole .rpt during every mission :rolleyes: Would it really be so bad as to output similar to .rpt outside the game mission?

^^This +99999999

I don't see any justification for forcing error messages in end users faces for the supposed sins of mission developers. These error messages would be better directed to the RPT file.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

It is a problem, people are making threads about it voicing their irritation by it. That's a fact, it's not a matter of opinion or perspective.

We can get all moral about it and make it out like BIS is on some crusade to improve mission developers code, but really all they are doing is shaming them for trivial mistakes and forcing it onto the end user, who don't get any benefit from seeing all those error messages in the first place. These errors should go to the RPT. Any mission developer that cares will be checking the RPT anyways.

I understand what you mean but at the same time i understand BI's intention of not hiding it for anyone during development, thats not the right signal to send.

As far as i know it has been stated the option to disable error messages will come back when we hit a stabile state.

I seriously doubt they put it in just to piss people off, there has to be some kind of rational thought behind it and the undeclared variables are obviously doing something detremental to the game, since they want us to hunt them down and fix them now.

This patch is just pure evilness by BI... And its getting ridiculous that they havent fixed all the problems that is... My game crashed 3 times now within minutes.. And the black window as I said, does major fps drops... I get usually around 5-6 crashes a day, but now I already on 3 crashes.. Whats up with this patch :/

^^This +99999999

I don't see any justification for forcing error messages in end users faces for the supposed sins of mission developers. These error messages would be better directed to the RPT file.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

It is a problem, people are making threads about it voicing their irritation by it. That's a fact, it's not a matter of opinion or perspective.

We can get all moral about it and make it out like BIS is on some crusade to improve mission developers code, but really all they are doing is shaming them for trivial mistakes and forcing it onto the end user, who don't get any benefit from seeing all those error messages in the first place. These errors should go to the RPT. Any mission developer that cares will be checking the RPT anyways.

What's with the persecution complex? We're in beta. Things are going to change. Things that previously had been working. This is a great way to keep us alerted as to how our scripts are being affected.

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

And the black window as I said, does major fps drops...

No, it's showing you your script errors. The error window isn't causing frame loss, but the broken script it is reporting might be.

No, it's showing you your script errors. The error window isn't causing frame loss, but the broken script it is reporting might be.

The window brings fps drops.... Whenever its showed my fps goes down.

The window brings fps drops.... Whenever its showed my fps goes down.

Again - it is showing because something is wrong with a script. Your framerate drop is being caused by something else, possibly the script whose error it is reporting.

The showScriptErrors window is like a warning light on your dashboard. It isn't using any resources.

Unless the script causes a catastrophic exception I dont feel we need to know about minor script issues with variables popping up on my screen

Edited by The_Blackfish

What's with the persecution complex? We're in beta. Things are going to change. Things that previously had been working. This is a great way to keep us alerted as to how our scripts are being affected.

No complex on my part, just an affinity for some drama in my vocabulary. I was responding to those who talked about the undefined variables rather than the presentation of the error messages. The point was that there is a separate stable and dev branch for a reason. People playing on stable expect to play, not get spammed with verbose logs smack bang in the middle of their screen. I have no problems with change or with the additional checks for undefined variables, these are good things. We just need a better way of being presented with error logs when we need them, which is currently not the case.

People playing on stable expect to play, not get spammed with verbose logs smack bang in the middle of their screen. I have no problems with change or with the additional checks for undefined variables, these are good things. We just need a better way of being presented with error logs when we need them, which is currently not the case.

It could be argued that, since the game is still beta, the stable version is a dev version of sorts. We are all beta testers, even if in name only. Still, the idea of forcing showScriptErrors on the dev branch only seems like a reasonable compromise.

Most of the server owners have told me that theres no error in the their scripts but Bohemia who failed.

Most of the server owners have told me that theres no error in the their scripts but Bohemia who failed.

This comes down to the idea of using undefined vars as a feature. Surely scripters can appreciate this is not a finalised game and things can and will change throughout development.

Report the errors to the mission maker and they can amend their scripts as appropriate.

Edited by Furret

I also thought it was BIS who failed, but in the end it was just my own script errors :icon_redface:

After few raging hours I finally got all my errors fixed and now it's all good again, and nil does still work. o/

(And lol, remember to use private with your variables)

Most server owners don't know what they are talking about if that's what they are saying.