Sign in to follow this  
admiral526

ArmA 2 video freezes / sound continues

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with ArmA 2 when I enter a server on the internet. After about 5-10 minutes video just freezes, but I can still hear all the shooting, movement and chat warnings. I am able exit the game only using Task Manager. I tried reinstalling the game but the problem was still there. The game played well for me three months ago on the same computer with Win8 Pro, before I re-installed the windows. Now I removed anything related to ArmA 2 on my PC and I'm doing a complete re-install of the game again. Is there any solution to this freezing issue?

Note#: I bought ArmA 2 via Steam.

Thank you. I hope for a quick reply as I tend to start playing the game as soon as possible.

EDIT: First of all I reinstalled the game but the issue seems to stay.

Secondly, I can play ArmA 2 in windowed mode for about 20 mins and then it freezes, but I am also able to see a pop up message in the bottom right of my desktop saying:

"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 311.06 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Thirdly, I even can't play campaign without freezing.

My graphic card is nVidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB

Edited by admiral526

I'm an AMD addict, however a quick look at NVIDIA's (abysmal, broken) support pages suggests your drivers are well out of date - current releases seem to be 326.x. Well worth updating if so, after using Driver Sweeper or similar to clean up folowing the NVIDIA uninstall.

Have you checked:

1. Error messages in the RPT file (no idea where that is in Steam, search C:\ for "Arma2OA.rpt"). Make it easy for yourself & us by select all - delete - save, then start the game, play till it freezes, then post the RPT in a spoiler. Post your full system specs also.

2. Look in the Win 8 Event viewer ->Windows logs, both application & system for potentially related error or warning messages; also look in Win 8 Event viewer ->Applications & Services Logs->Hardware Events &, if there is one, any NVIDIA-specific log (AMD card have any entry here called "ACEE"). Post any that look relevant and where the time relates to the game that just froze on you. If there are more than one or two, use a spoiler.

Edited by Orcinus

I will look for the driver updates tomorrow and do as you said in the 1. option.

BTW, I looked at my nVidia Control Panel and saw that ArmA 2 performance is Fair (which means not very good).

AIUI that card should give decent performance with A2/OA/CO depending on settings. Post your Arma2 &/or Arma2OA config file in a spoiler.

I have updated my drivers to 320.46 (which is the latest for my graphic card) via software I downloaded form nVidia site called GeForce Experience. The software also offers some kind of game optimisation for better performance, but I didn't want to touch that before I post you that RPT file.

Are you sure I can remove all of the text from arma2.rpt because it looks so important. I need to make sure I don't ruin anything in the game because reinstalling is a real pain.

No worries, you can't ruin anything. The RPT file is simply a text record of messages from the game and, sometimes, from mods or addons (e.g., CBA). By default the game will log warnings and error messages. It is an essential 'tool' when creating a mission, mod or addon because not only can you see if errors are generated, but you can use commands such as diag_log (see the BI WiKi) to monitor & debug the progress of a script.

It's entirely one-way, so you can write notes in it, delete the text, or even delete the file (the game will create a new one as soon as it needs to write to it) without any effect on the game.

Before bothering with their optimisation check whether they even have a profile for CO. Even if they do there is more to optimising than just GPU settings.

After I updated the drivers I went to play ArmA 2, my favourite server and surprisingly there were no freezing issues... I managed to play 40 minutes in total - and then I lost connection thanks to my internet provider -_-

However, if the problem reappears I'll make sure to post that RPT file.

Thanks for your support Orcinus.