Sign in to follow this  
sofianebilal

Night is too bright after 0.55 dev

I've updated with an ArmA 1 picture http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159882-Night-is-too-bright-after-0-55-dev&p=2449155&viewfull=1#post2449155.

"A picture looking directly at the moon versus one where there is no moon... not a proper comparison. "

The effect is pretty much the same, just checked, I won't post another picture. Everything is blue, both towards the moon and around.

Why are you comparing with a game launched 7 years ago?

*sigh*

Real example of REAL LIFE:

I would not have spotted it if it wasn't from the yellow arrow pointing to it... the sound would indeed have been the real reason for me to spot it. Different topic again.

To sum all of this: The color of the sky is dependent on where you are on earth, how much light source you have next to or near you, the position of the sun and finally the position of the moon. The stars also have an effect if you don't have a huge city near.

Stratis is not near any big city. The sky will not be blue all the time but it will often be. It will often be other colors too. But not pitch black. Too much light sources in the sky.

You really can't use any photo or video as a reference, ...unless you adjust the brightness and colours to match what you saw in real life when video/photo was taken.

Now Arma 3 night sky is indeed a bit too light. It won't be pitch black at night as long as we have the atmosphere. But it sure is darker.

Also, if you are in a town with streetlamps, your eye adjusts to the brightness, and sky looks darker compared to what you see if there is no light sources around.

Now, when surrounded by lamps in a town, you really feel that it is almost like morning light, while it is about 1 am at january.

You really can't use any photo or video as a reference, ...unless you adjust the brightness and colours to match what you saw in real life when video/photo was taken.

Now Arma 3 night sky is indeed a bit too light. It won't be pitch black at night as long as we have the atmosphere. But it sure is darker.

Also, if you are in a town with streetlamps, your eye adjusts to the brightness, and sky looks darker compared to what you see if there is no light sources around.

Now, when surrounded by lamps in a town, you really feel that it is almost like morning light, while it is about 1 am at january.

Jackpot! You are exactly correct. Different light sources have different color temperatures. The sun, for example, gives off a very warm color temperature. An led, for example, can give off a cool color temperature. Our eyes perceive (visible) color and light much differently and better than any camera sensor could. Our eyes adapt much better than a camera sensor can.

Now, not in reply to you Azzur, are you guys complaining about the blue color temperature or just the general brightness? I feel that the brightness is just perfect for a full moon. The color temperature can really have an effect on how you perceive and image. A warm hue may make the game actually look like it's in a warm tropical zone, whereas a cool hue will make it seem like it's in a cool area. The blue hue at night I feel adds in immersion as if it has cooled down at night. Color temperature has long been used in the film and video game industry to help reinforce a visual.

I present to you, The History and Science of Color Temperature:

I'm not talking about the color temperature or color of the game in general or the overall brightness

I am trying to talk about what has happened for the color of the night sky after the version 0.55 dev , and only about his !

I'm not talking about the color temperature or color of the game in general or the overall brightness

I am trying to talk about what has happened for the color of the night sky after the version 0.55 dev , and only about his !

Okay! Now that you mention the sky, I see what you're talking about. A bit of a misunderstanding and language barrier I believe. There is no difference in the color of the sky.

Well, the night sky is not black, it is very deep dark blue. Arma 3 night does look and feel a Lot better than in previous games.

Still I think the darkest night should be a bit darker.

The blue moonlight should maybe tone down also, but not much.

Well, the night sky is not black, it is very deep dark blue. Arma 3 night does look and feel a Lot better than in previous games.

Still I think the darkest night should be a bit darker.

The blue moonlight should maybe tone down also, but not much.

I agree with you the night sky is not completely dark, but very blue

dark, but not as bright as in the game after the DEV Version 0.55

whereas before this , the night of the game was perfect!

i also think I understand why many people do not see the difference while other see it

the answer is quite simple and the monitor that are involved or adjustment of its last, I saw the screen that I had posted at the very beginning on another monitor , and it's true that I've seen the sky is not bright!

now I'm back on my screen and I try adjust my monitor and the game, I got a black sky, but the color of my game have become too dark!

now the question is why I had seen a dark sky before the 0.55 dev and after this without changing the tuning I've seen something else ?

it would be nice if a developer can explain why it was changed , especially since it's not just me that's concerned!

I feel like on those nights when the moon is completely missing, the sky is way too blue and bright. It should be nearly black. I live in a heavily wooded area and at night, with no lights in the area, if the moon is nowhere in sight then the sky is black and the stars are pure white. There is no blue anywhere to be seen.

I understand that Arma is still a work in progress but man I hope they finalize the night lighting. There's no way it's that bright on a moon-less night.

I live in Sweden. Looking outside right now the night sky is dark purple sort of and clearly distinguishable from the pitch black trees etc...

Really don’t know what OP is complaining about but I would say it should be darker… but the color seems about right.

I live in Sweden. Looking outside right now the night sky is dark purple sort of and clearly distinguishable from the pitch black trees etc...

Really don’t know what OP is complaining about but I would say it should be darker… but the color seems about right.

and me I live in the mediterranean (stratis is located in the Aegean Sea "Mediterranean Sea")

and I can tell you we now see that the sky is very dark :)

I precise night with a half moon, very dark blue, approaching black !

The greater the overcast, the blacker/darker it is. The month also affects it a little, I think.

I played with random weather on my server one night a couple weeks ago. It was heavily overcast. I couldnt see shit. I turned off my NVG's and got instantly totally disorientated. I have lived in a desert my whole life and the weather is usually great, nights with some moon and no street lights are pretty bright and have a blue hue to them. Not as much as arma but I also know having a blue day and a dark night with active lighting is a balancing act that they are doing quite well. They are still tweaking. Honestly though the nights are far more realistic now then ever.

We used to walk around in the desert at night in pitch black. Hardly ever was it dark enough to be completely black. Most of the time once your eyes adjusted you were safe walking around and you could see the ground pretty easily. It does get really dark out there sometimes too but it has to be no moon, overcast with no stars. It is rare. But it happens that way in game too.

It all depends on the atmosphere conditions, the stars in the sky, clouds and moon and your distance from a big city. So what the devs at arma are seeing can be 100% different from what you see. Either way you can trust they are making it as realistic as they can from what they are seeing and observing, not that its some arcade settings that they think is right. My opinion is that they are right on with where I live, and its half a world away from where this is set. And I know different places will look different. Keep in mind its all a compromise.

I seem to enjoy the night. I seem to have a hard time seeing at long distances without NV(night vision). I can't use a Sniper rifle or use my binocs/range finder at all. I do agree however that it's kinda too blue. I would suggest making an option to make it either very dark or light.

I seem to enjoy the night. I seem to have a hard time seeing at long distances without NV(night vision).

This is called darkness. It happens at night.

This is called darkness. It happens at night.

I'm responding to the OP who said he can see extremely long distances in the night.

I would be happy if the darkest night sky was just a little darker, colour is fine.

But the stars are a bit too ...big/bright? I was out last night, came home about 1 am, sky was clear, and I opened my Photoshop and tried to paint the sky I saw at that moment, colour, darkness and saturation just like it was outside.

Then I put it side by side with a screenshot from Arma 3. That was identical. I was Sure my painting would have been darker than the screenshot.

It is summertime. The darkest time of the night is not as dark as it would be later of the year.

But the stars were hardly noticeable. When the sky gets darker, they are more visible, but at the brightness in Arma night (or finnish summer night), they do not show that bright as they are now in the game.

hi!

here is what the night was like before the 0.55 dev

and here is what she looks like now!

for me it was much more realistic before 0.55 dev !

I can't say I dislike the new night...

I prefer them over the one before...

Matter of taste i suppose...

hi!

here is what the night was like before the 0.55 dev

and here is what she looks like now!

for me it was much more realistic before 0.55 dev !

In the second video the moon is up. If you have a moonless night you can't see anything without nvgs, just silhouettes against the sky.

What I will say that the sky is a lttle bit too blue. IMO it needs to be a darker tone to feel right.

This is what a moonless night looks atm (July, 1st 2035, 02:00h) : arma32013-07-2715-34-ieayr.jpg

And this is with 100% overcast:

arma32013-07-2715-40-9kuyf.png

I don't know how you can make that any darker tbh

Edited by Derbysieger