Sign in to follow this  
ZoneTrooper

No Brightness or Gamma adjust in Multiplayer

Hi what you guys think about deactivating Brightness or Gamma settings in Multiplayer,so that all players have the same chance to make a kill?

Right now when you play on a server of ARMA 3 and it is night,most people just adjust there Brightness and Gamma lvl in ARMA 3,that makes

Nightvision googles kinda useless.If they put the brightness and gamma on maximum,they nearly can see as good as they see when its daylight.

In Multiplayer this is a HUGE advantage when people are using maximum brightness and gamma in multiplayer,without using nightvision googles.

Or if thats to much,decreasing the brightness and gamme lvl in MP to brigthness 1.2 and gamma 1.5.

Right now you can put the brightness on 1.5 and gamma on 2.5 with these settings,you can even snipe people like it is daylight without nightvisions

or thermal vision/infrared.

I think that should be mission controled not globaly disabled/restricted.

Not a very good idea. Some people change those settings so that they can see better because of medical conditions etc. Also different monitors and such like. You'll always get people trying to get the best score by any means possible.

Not a very good idea. Some people change those settings so that they can see better because of medical conditions etc. Also different monitors and such like. You'll always get people trying to get the best score by any means possible.

I dont think its because of medical conditions,most of them i guess 95 percent just changing it to see better then the others.And that gives them a huge advantage against other players,so in multiplayer there should be a locked number for Gamma and brightness.

So that all people have the same chance to make a kill or play on the same lvl like others,and not just set the settings on maximum and play like it is daylight.You can try it out in a mission,you will see the difference is EXTREM when playing gamma 1.1 and brightness 1.1 vs both on 1.5 or 2.5

Yeah buddy, I didn't mean the majority but a (very) small minority have to do this. I cant see your idea taking off to be honest. Maybe forcing players to wear NVGs, that's a possibility.

Just came in my mind that probably those people have already tuned gamma and brightness from video card control panel so even they don't need to adjust gamma and brightness that much.

Other point in this is that you can't really stop gamma "hack" because you can just alt+tab and tune it from the video card options or quickly tune SweetFX for example but tighter gamma and brightness forced from the server side would probably decrease the amount "hacking".

Why would you disable brightness and gamma settings? Not two monitors are the same, and white/black balancing can vary as day and night (pun intended). I personally need to turn up my gamma slightly to be able to see anything remotely dark (not even pitch black or nighttime) with any detail.

And as Jimmy points out, you can change this in places where ARMA and BattleEye can't even detect the changes - why waste resources there of all places, when they are better spent on other areas of the topic of "fair play".

Why would you disable brightness and gamma settings? Not two monitors are the same, and white/black balancing can vary as day and night (pun intended). I personally need to turn up my gamma slightly to be able to see anything remotely dark (not even pitch black or nighttime) with any detail.

And as Jimmy points out, you can change this in places where ARMA and BattleEye can't even detect the changes - why waste resources there of all places, when they are better spent on other areas of the topic of "fair play".

Tbh, that is a very good explanation.

Forcing NVGs would be unaceptible too, some of us like to use natural night vision for as long as possible before switching to NVGs.

For me NVGs are a waste of hardware I have spent a fortune on going from three monitors in glorious technicouler down to a single monitor producing a picture like an ancient green and black CRT monitor.

Usually when it reaches the stage of needing NVGs I will leave the server anyway.

The gamma hack is a problem that BIS alone cannot fix.

The alternative is no night missions, make sure all players have NVGs or have the mission during brighter nights.

Is this not the superior arma 3? Give people flashlights a couple dozen glowsticks and call it a day.

Itll be just like the night showcase.

Is this not the superior arma 3? Give people flashlights a couple dozen glowsticks and call it a day.

Itll be just like the night showcase.

Yep thats right,also raising up the the Gamma/Brightness makes flares fired from GL useless,also glowsticks.

I mean in real its the same like it is in arma,when you are out somewhere in the forest you also dont have anykind of light except the one from the vehicles or flashlights.

In my eyes it just takes the tension the heat out of the game when people use this kind of feature,like adjust there brightness and gamma to maximum while i´m hunting.

I mean at night you still see pretty good,just not when you are in a forest and it is 1:00 AM of course you dont see something then,except you have flashlights or GL´s with flares.

Also in most cases a Special Force troop have Nightvisions,but it would be cool if people could play normal without adjust there gamma and stuff like that.

I think the best way would be blocking adjustment during the mission (starting right after getting to the server). That way you don't know the weather conditions and you have to set the brightness/gamma universally.

You can adjust them on the monitor anyway.

Not as effective as adjusting in-game settings but would still be enough to give an advantage in certain situations.

Unfortunately this is the one thing that cannot be controlled and thus Arma PVP is an impossibility when dealing with fairness. Only local competition is a possibility because if your buddy is gamma exploiting then you can walk over to his screen and punch him in the face. Can't quite do that online with total strangers from across the world. Gamma and brightness exploiting absolutely ruins the game for anyone who's trying to have a legitimate fun experience that is both immersive and realistic. And to anyone who thinks pumping up gamma beyond +/- 10% of the default is required to make the game look as it's intended on YOUR monitor, no. You are straight up in denial and trying to justify your exploit. Thanks for ruining online gaming.

OP just stick with coop based online missions. Anything that involves player versus player in a night setting will guaranteed be an unfair and ruined game. Not Bohemia's fault. This cannot be controlled.

Anything that involves player versus player in a night setting will guaranteed be an unfair and ruined game. Not Bohemia's fault. This cannot be controlled.

Fixed that for ya. :)