Sign in to follow this  
StateBDog

Safety of Hosting A Server?

What are the risks of hosting an Arma 2 Combined Operations Takistan Life Dedicated Server? I wish to host one but do not want to put myself at risk, or anyone on the server, for that matter.

My main concern is if my IP address can be stolen or that someone who joins the server or is involved with it will be able to access or harm my computer. I know that in order to have the server up 24/ 7, which I intend to have, one must pay a company, website, etc. to host it, such as NFO hosting. How safe are these? Can they harm or access my computer, steal my IP address, or take advantage of me, considering that I am paying them (safety of that)? Which one is the best to use, as far as safety, price, and quality go? How is Battle Eye installed into the server? How do I stay completely safe of it, all around over time? What should I be, particularly, aware of? Is the Takistan Life mod okay to use?

Resources would be appreciated as well! Thanks!

What are the risks of hosting an Arma 2 Combined Operations Takistan Life Dedicated Server?

Risk to yourself = Next to nothing

Risk to the server = Possible DoS/DDoS attacks (Unlikely unless you make someone angry)

My main concern is if my IP address can be stolen or that someone who joins the server or is involved with it will be able to access or harm my computer

No, You don't need to worry about that.

I know that in order to have the server up 24/ 7, which I intend to have, one must pay a company, website, etc. to host it, such as NFO hosting.

You can own a server yourself and run whatever you wish. It doesn't _have_ to be purchased from a company.

NFO hosting. How safe are these?

In what respect do you mean "safe"? The service they sell and provide?

Can they harm or access my computer, steal my IP address, or take advantage of me, considering that I am paying them (safety of that)?

No, A server provider can't "access your computer" because you bought a server from them.

Which one is the best to use, as far as safety, price, and quality go?

OVH. 100%.

How is Battle Eye installed into the server?

Good luck is all I can say on a Windows Server.

How do I stay completely safe of it, all around over time?

Safe from what? If you mean Hacking then have Battleye enabled and setup correctly (also see Battleye Filters)

What should I be, particularly, aware of?

Hacking wise; In Takistan Life at this moment in time, Local Teleporting, Spawning in cash

Is the Takistan Life mod okay to use?

It's not a mod.

Thank you SOOO much. What I meant by "safe," in regards to the hosting providers, is if any, which I am sure is the case with some, will take advantage of my information in any way. In other words, I wanted to know which provider was, in the user's opinion, was the most professional and best one to use, which you answered. I was just trying to type out the mental list I had; I'm obviously new to this. Thanks again!