Sign in to follow this  
NordKindchen

replacement for rocks/stones - possible?

Hey guys!

Would it theoretically be possible to build a replacement mod for ALL existing stones and rocks in the game?

For example: I really dont like how the cliffs of stratis look. In the current century stones can be modelled better.

Therefore I am thinking about an addon that simply replaces certain stones/rocks and cliffs with a worked over variant.

Would this theoretically be possible?

greetz!

Just downloaded 17th century 3d rocks they look pretty good.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ive searched everywhere for 17th century 3d rocks but couldnt find them. Could you maybe send me a link?

Greetz!

Thanks for your help guys!

Ive searched everywhere for 17th century 3d rocks but couldnt find them. Could you maybe send me a link?

Greetz!

It was a joke referring to your "In the current century..." :)

PuFu basically posted the solution :D

....^^

Thing is I actually saw something similar for Arma2. A rock replacement set from...whom I dont remember the name;)

It could have been related.

I had a crack at it last night after reading your post and having a look at the rocks around the island. I agree with you that they dont look right. They're a bit over-bright and far too 'clean' looking.

So, I unpacked rocks_f and altered the sharp rock+moss+moss top textures, making them darker and more 'sea-worn'. Great so far. Then I looked at the config file in rocks_f and it's...just about empty.

No visible way of altering it to direct the game to look at modded textures. So I'm guessing the config that needs to be edited is in map_stratis.pbo perhaps or something similar.

Pretty sure it can be done, and made to look better than vanilla rocks. I'll keep looking into it as it's a bit of a challenge :D

*Edit for NK info...Arma 2 rocks here :D http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11601 although these are importable rocks and not mods of existing map ones**

BSW

Edited by BusStopWilly

Hey BusStop! Thanks for the comment! Thats actually exactly the rocks I meant;)

Are you still working on the rocks? Maybe we could work together - I worked 3 years as a graphic artist in the gaming industry so I have some kind of feeling for textures;)

But I dont know how to alter the rocks in Arma 3.

Give me a call!

Greetz!

I think you may need someone with a LOT more scripting experience than me, I'm quite the noob. I had that short crack at it then gave up.

I'm a numpty for doing the textures first (the fun part) and leaving the script till last, not realising the rocks config was nigh on useless.

Try and keep the thread going, I'm sure someone out there knows the answer, maybe like I said, the config ref. for rocks is in a different .pbo to what the textures are (rocks_f).

I think there's also a recent addon that unlocks a lot of editor stuff and some of them are rocks, but whether they are the 'coastal' rocks or normal land ones I dunno. Maybe that can shine a little light on it?

BSW