Sign in to follow this  
geordiegaz

new to the ARMA series

Hi guys,

I'm new to the arma series after coming across a few vids of the game on youtube and thinking this game looks amazing. So i bought the deluxe edtion and i am in the process of downloading and installing the game as i type. I'm a big online gamer albiet on the ps3 and love fps games I.E battlefield and cod.This i am not expecting to be anything like the fore mentioned games i am expecting it to be alot better. So as i am pretty new to the world of pc games apart from the footy man series i would like some advice and maybe ingame help from what seems to be a great community, firstly i am more interested in the online play with other real life players aspect of the game and would like to know which server i should join and also if anyone on said servers would be willing to take me under there wings and make me there protige and teach me about the game. as i said i am new to pc games so getting used to pc controls will take some time so please have patience with me (can i use a wired xbox pad to play this). thanks for reading guys and hopefully will make a few friends on here maybe join a clan?

GeordieGaz

you could join a player group there - most of them have their own servers which are often locked btw. I guess 100% of them help new members of course.

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?168-ARMA-3-BETA-SQUADS-AND-FANPAGES < first two threads

If you dont want to join, search for TDM / DM servers or Servers with "pvp" in their name, or playing maps like "blitzkrieg"

but I recommend you to first learn a few steps and play the SP Missions. Learn to identify the outfits (enemy / friend) and maybe some buttons ;) dont press "g" a lot!

and one final tip: dont get lost, once you recognize the whole potential of arma, it maybe confusing at first.

Quick piece of advice: If you want to/would like to test out the game's vehicles, I would suggest going into the Editor, double-clicking a spot on land (or water for the Ships and Submarines classes) and then choose the desired vehicle in the dropdown menus and then click OK, then click Preview and you'll be playing as their driver/pilot, so that you can try them out without any risk to others!

Note: For the helicopters, if you choose Flying in the Special drop-down menu then the preview/practice will start with that helicopter hovering in midair, and Elevation to set a desired starting height/altitude (if Flying is used but Elevation is left at 0, it will default to 50 meters' altitude); if you want to test out AA missiles, this is what you would do with your target(s).

Also, vehicles that specify "Player as driver" will also have gunner and/or commander seats if you want to start in those seats, i.e. to test weapons.

You can also plant infantry to try out the default loadouts' guns ("small arms"), and plant crates (Side = Empty, Class = Ammo) to try out some of their gear as well.

Alternately, you could go

, download the linked showcase mission in the description (it's newer than the version at Armaholic), then move that file into the Missions and/or MP Missions folder(s) in your Arma 3 game directory (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Missions or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\MPMissions), the latter of which will put it in the Scenarios list (SP), the latter of which will put it in the Missions list (MP) when you set up a lobby/server for four-player co-op.