Sign in to follow this  
Tales_From_Topographic_Oceans

Shooting civilians and getting shot

this is my custom mission

Ok. I have populated a small town full of CIVILIANS (not WEST or RESISTANCE).

I am part of an EAST squad that goes into town. If I start shooting the civilians, after I shoot about 4 or 5 of them, my squad says "under fire" and turns and shoots me. why? I did not shoot at them. Why would they kill me for shooting civilians?

I know the CIVILIANS are neutral so I am not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I want to ge able to go into town and have the option to shoot CIVILIANS without my squad shooting me.

how?

i think you open the mission.sqm file in notepad and change civ to guer i think

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why would they kill me for shooting civilians?<span id='postcolor'>

I have said it before: OFP soldiers have a mind of their own!

What would you do if your commander went nuts in a civilian town and started shooting everyone he see?! Stand and stare at it?

They have done it earlier, when west and east joined forces to rid the world of all the evil cars on the island. Killers weighing tons I tell you. Especially empty ones, they can take a leap at you any time...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dawdler @ April 28 2002,10:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why would they kill me for shooting civilians?<span id='postcolor'>

I have said it before: OFP soldiers have a mind of their own!

What would you do if your commander went nuts in a civilian town and started shooting everyone he see?! Stand and stare at it?

They have done it earlier, when west and east joined forces to rid the world of all the evil cars on the island. Killers weighing tons I tell you. Especially empty ones, they can take a leap at you any time...<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif o man thats funny wow.gifbiggrin.gif

in earlier versions my squad fragged me for shooting an empty barrel sad.gif

Try grouping the civilians with a west unit. Then set the possibility of precence of the west unit to 0. Now the civilians should be concidered as enemies. But now also your squad would start shooting the civilians. Therefore you should put setcaptive true on all civilians so that your squad can't shoot them except you wink.gif. Try it, it should help.

When any team shoots civilians, the game considers it almost like it would a team kill, so each civilian kill that you get changes your rating to negative points. Once your rating is low enough, it'll make your teammates want to kill you.

I discovered this by accident one day while running over a bunch of civvies in my tank. When I got out of the tank, my AI gunner blew me up.

I wanna add one more here:

One time i made a battle between US and Russian (a big one)

To watch this fight, i placed a resistance soldier as player,

and set the resistance as friendly to all.

After enjoying this battle a while, i got bored and decided

to shot 2 or 3 russians, and guess what, yeah the US shot

me for that. If you shoot on objects in a non-enemy-state

to you, you get the bad rating. I think, at least your squad

should stay loyal to you, if you do anything wrong.

You could use the add rating command to fix that (i haven't

used it yet, but there are a lot of out here, who did).

The way it works is pretty simple. Each enemy you kill gets you +1 rating point. Each friendly (or neutral) you kill gets you -1 rating point. Once the rating is in the negative you are considered as a renegade by everyone and are shot on sight. So if you kill 50 enemies you are free to shoot 50 friendlies before you get shot at.

Is it that simple?

Doesnt the (killed) unit's rank count in this?

What about if mission editor manually changes player's

rating to, say, -1000?

Will friendly units kill you then?

The negative rating system makes sense. I don't like it but at least there is an explanation. The funny thing is, I was #8. After shooting civilians, I was shot by #1, while I was dying, I heard "#1 cease firing, oh no #8 is down." I had a sense that not everyone in my squad approved of my execution.

The threshold seems to be about 5 or 6 before my squad turns against me.

I guess what I need to do is to convert them to RESISTANCE and remove their weapons but then my squad will kill them too.

I am not trying to create a massacre but I am just seeing what happens.