Despite the fact there's not a single use of word "AI" in http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415 there's no need to worry. The AI will have to face new situations (and our engine masters great challenges), but the mentioned overall ongoing effort is still on and we'll try as much as we can to give AI the needed love, fixes, improvements, tweaks and polish ;)

Hey you read my mind :mad:

Great to hear it at least mentioned officially :rolleyes:

Despite the fact there's not a single use of word "AI" in http://www.bistudio.com/english/comp...roadmap-201415 there's no need to worry. The AI will have to face new situations (and our engine masters great challenges), but the mentioned overall ongoing effort is still on and we'll try as much as we can to give AI the needed love, fixes, improvements, tweaks and polish

Always nice to hear, looking forward to seeing the ai evolve over time.

Edited by -Coulum-

Despite the fact there's not a single use of word "AI" in http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415

...AHEM!

OMG WTF LRN2REED N00B!

But, yes, as Oukej does correctly point out, we're approaching the new features and content with AI very much in mind.

Such details were considered too specific for this high-level roadmap, but - carrying on our recent efforts to increase/improve comms - further information will be shared as development goes on. #announcementception :cool:

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

OMG WTF LRN2REED N00B!

wut? TRLld :computer:

Despite the fact there's not a single use of word "AI" in http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415 there's no need to worry. The AI will have to face new situations (and our engine masters great challenges), but the mentioned overall ongoing effort is still on and we'll try as much as we can to give AI the needed love, fixes, improvements, tweaks and polish ;)

Thanks, much calmer now :)

Ranting time.

I can only re-iterate again how bad the helicopter AI is. If you want

1) to run on a dedicated server

2) have a reliable helicopter insertion and

3) have a couple of enemy units within visible range of the chopper

getting the insertion to work is a game of chance. I cannot even count the number of different stupid things that happened in the course of the last three hours I was trying to get an airborne landing operation to work. One time, the insertion chopper took off with half my squad still in it (who subsequently plummeted to their death), another time the chopper pilot just hovers around with their tongues lolling out stupidly (okay I made up the last part). Disabling AI/FSM, setting combat mode and behaviour, it all works SOMETIMES but not reliably. If you have four choppers, like I have, then the chance is big that at least one of them doesn't do what they should. And this isn't even taking into account the deaths I had because the chopper pilot couldn't keep still on the ground until the troops were far enough away... with a certain regularity, an AI gets crushed under the chopper or by the tail.

Even worse, unarmed choppers go on attack runs like there is no tomorrow. And in order to slow down, they flare up so high that every machine gun on the planet can hit them.

Seriously, since recording is not an option on dedicated servers (not that it was even an option, more than two recorded units and it skips like hell), it's best not to even plan a mission with chopper insertion. Result: Another mission scrapped.

The saddest part, though, is that in spite of all the ranting, it won't change. It never did. These problems were there in Arma 2 right from the start, and have been whined about a hundred times, just like the abysmal driving ("fear not! We shall stop the CSAT tank force by cunningly placing a chicken on the road", and "how do you know an AI vehicle is in town? The signposts are only missing on one road").

("fear not! We shall stop the CSAT tank force by cunningly placing a chicken on the road", and "how do you know an AI vehicle is in town? The signposts are only missing on one road").

:-))))))

The fix of the issue with move waypoints (affecting also majority of the playable content) will be on the Development branch with the next update. We are sorry again for the inconvenience.

More precisely with "next .exe update" (which probably won't be today due to a different issue)

Improved: AI's losing sight of target

Could you please explain us a bit more? What was actually improved?

I'm curious as well ....

Yeah, would be nice if they could state what feedback tickets they address, if any. Lots of info in those

Yeah, would be nice if they could state what feedback tickets they address, if any. Lots of info in those

they do with other things, but the AI team are those cloak and dagger types.. you don't see 'em until it's too late.

:happyagentSmith:

hi, Can someone confirm ? After yesterday update arma3 server does not start if more than 23 mods are starting. Simply if there is 23 mods or less you can see dedicates host created and no. of port visible on the window. If more than 23 mods it simply does not start correctly.

hi, Can someone confirm ? After yesterday update arma3 server does not start if more than 23 mods are starting. Simply if there is 23 mods or less you can see dedicates host created and no. of port visible on the window. If more than 23 mods it simply does not start correctly.

You are in a wrong thread, buddy.

06-05-2014

EXE rev. 124216

ENGINE

• Added: AI aiming error is now influenced by wounds and reloading
  • Improved: AI's losing sight of target

E.g. If you run into some cover the AI should be less prone to head-shot you once you reappear ;)

Part of http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159711-Development-Branch-Captain-s-AI-Log&p=2535506&viewfull=1#post2535506 (FT links there)

The other one - wounds and reloading, that's probably clear but jic - if an AI is firing at you and runs out of ammo, needs to reload, or you manage to hit it, but not kill it, it will need some time to reacquire the aim after such action. Getting hit obviously causes much more disturbance.

All 3 changes are also part of http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159711-Development-Branch-Captain-s-AI-Log&p=2598737&viewfull=1#post2598737

E.g. If you run into some cover the AI should be less prone to head-shot you once you reappear ;)

Part of http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159711-Development-Branch-Captain-s-AI-Log&p=2535506&viewfull=1#post2535506 (FT links there)

The other one - wounds and reloading, that's probably clear but jic - if an AI is firing at you and runs out of ammo, needs to reload, or you manage to hit it, but not kill it, it will need some time to reacquire the aim after such action. Getting hit obviously causes much more disturbance.

All 3 changes are also part of http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159711-Development-Branch-Captain-s-AI-Log&p=2598737&viewfull=1#post2598737

Thank you!

Awesome changes!

Now back to my biggest problem with the AI:

Driving on roads.

I know that driving AI is very complex but could you at least stop them from going offroad in right turns? That alone would solve many problems.

As it is now they will always go offroad if the road bends to the right, happily running into street signs, wooden poles and fences. Can I somehow help?

Cool stuff. Is this a temporary effect (ie. just after the ai has been hit), or a long term effect (as long as a ai is wounded)? Sounds like its just temporary, but I just want to make sure, and can't test at this moment.

Always nice to see the AI changelog bumped!

@Tonci87 Yes please give some love to the AI drivers as atm I cant trust them to get me from A-B, most of the time when going through a town they will get stuck on the corner of a building or just drive in to a wooden post on the side of the road.

"Oh and one more thing" :) when I get out of the back of a Marshel (NATO IFV) and the driver is in my squad, he will run me over!!

they do with other things, but the AI team are those cloak and dagger types.. you don't see 'em until it's too late.

:happyagentSmith:

True. They are the Top Men after all ;)

Great addition, something that was desperately needed.

What is still needed though is for the AI's accuracy to remain degraded if they have taken damage from a hit.

Cool stuff. Is this a temporary effect (ie. just after the ai has been hit), or a long term effect (as long as a ai is wounded)? Sounds like its just temporary, but I just want to make sure, and can't test at this moment.

Instant and temporary, as a result from the hit (player looses his/her aim due to the shock as well). Low health level, similarly to high fatigue, affects the weapon sway for both AI and players in a similar fashion already. I must admit though that AI is rather good at compensating it and would probably benefit if the range (of how good it is at it, proportionally to the skill) was extended.

---

So far it seems the subordinate's disobedience (movement, target acquisition, in combat behavior) and driving are the most pressing issues, right?

The driving is complicated in regard to different causes (and their combinations) of bugs - from vehicle configuration, map data, dynamic circumstances to AI behavior itself, precision and time.

For both, even though the issues may seem obvious, we are gathering the data and isolated situations. With the help of our fresh reinforcement Iceman we've categorized the AI stuff in feedback tracker a bit more and there is also a path-finding primary report here http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18340

For exact spots on Altis and Stratis there's a ticket here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18324

So far it seems the subordinate's disobedience (movement, target acquisition, in combat behavior) and driving are the most pressing issues, right?

The next issue in line for me would be the action menu. It's not purely an AI issue but it reflects heavily on commanding AI, and it seems like a simple issue in terms of complexity (though maybe I'm wrong). Please put the more common commands for the AI, rearm and inventory, at the beginning of the action menu list, and not at the end of it. It requires the player to scroll through sometimes 10 pages of actions just to get to these options, which are ALWAYS at the end.