Hi! AI in Arma3, has many deficiencies that can be solved without loss of game performance.

For example, after command "Find Cover" the AI will never be hiding inside buildings. 

Unfortunatelly this command is useless and requires significant editing.

In this case, at least a most units should take cover inside buildings (if the any building is nearby) 
But no one unit will not do this.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOcctYUZCe8&feature=youtu.be

When I look at this video, then I do not see what they are looking for shelter in general! Most unit only ran up to the fence or left in place in the prone position. I think, for command "find shelter" you @BIS, need to create special osnap-positions to which AI will have to move. These points can be placed inside buildings, internal corners of buildings, or in dense bushes. This feature will not adversely affect the performance and can significantly improve the AI!

Why AI don`t know how to use Parachute ?  They land  where the wind blows and do not listen any  commands of squad leder.

This make paradrop 100% useless

Are you saying AI stop following commands after parachuting?

I'd say at this point any bugs like that should just go on the tracker. Since BIS has essentially transitioned to bug fixing before the next DLC that would make the most sense. And I hardly ever see any of the devs in threads like this one anymore.

Why AI don`t know how to use Parachute ?  They land  where the wind blows and do not listen any  commands of squad leder.

This make paradrop 100% useless

works fine for me, agree about the lack of canopy control, but that's to be expected, as soon as my guys hit the ground I call a "regroup" or if too dispersed, give them a way point net to me, never had them not show up though

For me-  all AI always think that they  use non-steerable parachutes. No matter  vanilla or with ace3..

I`m always have 300-700m "dispersion".

Is it norma?

For me-  all AI always think that they  use non-steerable parachutes. No matter  vanilla or with ace3..

I`m always have 300-700m "dispersion".

Is it norma?

The AI cannot fly the canopy like a human player, there are no algorithms for them to do so, so the canopy is pretty much a non steerable one for AI, it was the same for A2 as well.

The higher your exit the wider the dispersion, same with the speed of the dispatching aircraft, if it's on regular, again the separation between jumpers is greater, there's basically 2 methods in A3, a simple "eject" where all paratroopers e\get dumped out in a group, often colliding with each other and dying, or there's a slight delay in the "eject"  sequence, which is far more realistic. 

So if you think about it, the slower the dispatching aircraft is flying, the smaller the dispersion area will be. I always set the way point before the drop to limited , and a flyInHeight of 300m, so 300-700m's isn't too bad to be honest, I've had 2,000m's before with just a 4 man recce team had to wait fucking ages for them to catch up, but if they're likely to get too close to the enemy, I will give them alternative way points to avoid enemy contact.

• Like 5

Just wanted to quickly say thanks for all the AI improvements in the last few months! Along with #AIDriving (yay!!!) there've been some really nice "minor-but-oh-my-god-so-annoying" bugs that got fixed (dodgy target switching, vehicle guns preferring north, etc). Really loving the current bug-fixing focus :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, danil-ch said:

I've found out why the AI almost stopped using grenades against infantry. Turns out that AI soldiers only start using them when they run out of ammo for their main weapon.

Also depends on the addons you use, I've been using the C2 addon and FOA addon, and the AI team mates are not shy at all in using 40mm's or throwing frags, without so much as a "grenade!!" or "Frag out" call.

@road runner - it about vanila behavior. I personally dont remember when my team used frags last time. They can use smoke grenades but not frags.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

AI do use frags in vanilla

I didnt noticed this.... ever.

In the remote chance this hasn't been mentioned in 177 pages.

Vehicle Gunner AI skill seems to have no impact on the ability of the AI to lead and hit targets.

AI crew with 20% skill set in Eden are able to lead and hit a moving target perfectly from +1000m, the same as 100% skill crew.

No fun for players.

• Like 4

7:50 AI use grenades.

Best example for the current AI grenade usage may be observed in Infantry showcase. On current version they don't use them at all.

• Like 2

On 19.12.2016 at 2:00 PM, danil-ch said:

7:50 AI use grenades.

Best example for the current AI grenade usage may be observed in Infantry showcase. On current version they don't use them at all.

In 2012 it's works =)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pr9inichek said:

In 2012 it's works =)

So over time, functions stop working.....

Opfor units see the "B_TargetSoldier" as a civilian for some reason.  Here is a printout of an opfor units nearTargets:

21:58:38 [[6574.88,5311.08,-0.272558],"B_TargetSoldier",CIV,-999997,131d90080# 174663: invisibletarget_f.p3d,0.150071]
21:58:38 [[6577.09,5306.01,-0.269314],"B_TargetSoldier",CIV,-999997,131dc0080# 174619: invisibletarget_f.p3d,0.15965]
21:58:38 [[6582.06,5310.4,-0.299908],"B_TargetSoldier",CIV,-999997,f49d0080# 174581: invisibletarget_f.p3d,0.176322]

• Like 1

Ah I think I may have made an error - I createVehicled the target soldier, but looking at it's config, it's a static weapon with an ai brain.  I'll try doing createVehicle then createVehicleCrew and see if it appears as an enemy to the Opfor soldiers. (Will check after work).

Instead of letting this rot over in the CBA thread, I figure I'd share this incase someone that understands it wants to make a ticket. User Special Ed isolated this, but doesn't care to report it himself.

SetUnitPos "UP" has been partially broken for some time now in Arma 3, which can cause units that go into combat behavior to 'stutter', raising and lowering their weapons.

Simple to reproduce - throw in the player as a rifleman roughly 5 meters away from a wall - then throw in an Opfor guy named BadGuy on the other side of the wall about 5 meters away facing away from the wall - set him to safe mode, no stance selection, normal speed. Put in a radio alpha trigger, code : BadGuy SetUnitPos "UP"; Put in a radio Bravo trigger, code : BadGuy Setbehaviour "COMBAT";  Run the test, after a few seconds hit radio alpha, then after a few seconds hit radio bravo - switch to spectator and take a look at him on the other side of the wall - he should be doing the weapon raised/lower dance in nearly perfect repetition. After radio Alpha, you can also trigger this bug by firing your weapon instead of forcing combat behavior - and in this case the bug is still there, but sometimes with random delays between the weapon up/down action. One will only get the results above by doing things exactly as I laid out.

On the flip side, there is also an issue with SetUnitPos "UP" when setting it initially on a unit that has a waypoint plan - Place a friendly unit nearby the player, set him to up stance initially in his object properties box, set him to walk and set him to safe mode - then give him one waypoint plan position a distance away - run the test and he will actually walk there with weapon raised, while he is actually in "safe" mode.

These tests were done with no mods running at all to be sure as well.

I wonder why Ai with pistol in inventory often rather choose this small weapon over their sniper or assault rifles....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vasily.B said:

I wonder why Ai with pistol in inventory often rather choose this small weapon over their sniper or assault rifles....

maybe bug in 1.66..

• Like 1

I think it's (partially) to do with Armor values on vehicles - if you put Special Forces/Viper Team down in the editor plus a crewed Hunter near them, then they shoot with rifles and launchers.  If you switch the vehicle out for a crewed Prowler, they stand there like idiots doing nothing.

Re:  AI and invisible targets, they need a crew before the AI detect them, so all is ok I think.  See here for details if interested:

5 hours ago, Vasily.B said:

I think this is a long standing bug (has been there for 2 years?), that I can't explain yet. In the middle of a mission you turn around to find out one of your squad mates has decided he will continue the mission using only his pistol. He has a rifle, he has ammo, there are no enemies in sight.

• Like 3