Speaking of skillFinal, seems the interpolation algorithm is either bugged or intentionally altered so that when running setskill on clients on local units, the resulting final skill is a lot higher (about twice or even higher for accuracy) compared to when it's executed on a server, on units local to server.

This when CfgAISkill class settings, difficulty settings in profile, setskill parameters were identical on server and client.

To be clear, calling setskill then skillfinal with local arguments only.

On a server, you get as expected, considering coefficients used in interpolation are <1, lower final skill values.

But on a client:

unit setskill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.396464];

unit skillfinal "aimingaccuracy" => 0.623674 ! how come ?

What's the magic formula here ?

Edited by Robalo

Sure you can, just disableAI FSM. Makes them quite a bit dumber though, but very fast.

Remember I tried this in A2 for a retreat script but IIRC it did not work if the AI already entered Combat mode. Great if this have been fixed and there now is a way to snap the AI out of their obsessive desire to kill or be killed. Have to dig out that script and try it someday or maybe you are willing share your code for a test?

/KC

Speaking of skillFinal, seems the interpolation algorithm is either bugged or intentionally altered so that when running setskill on clients on local units, the resulting final skill is a lot higher (about twice or even higher for accuracy) compared to when it's executed on a server, on units local to server.

This when CfgAISkill class settings, difficulty settings in profile, setskill parameters were identical on server and client.

On a server, you get as expected, considering coefficients used in interpolation are <1, lower final skill values.

But on a client:

Make a FT ticket with repro and link it here, Robalo.

But on a client:

Make a FT ticket with repro and link it here, Robalo.

There's one already :)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18365

However -

... via https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/skillFinal. It's a command mainly for informative and testing purposes. Shouldn't also be used for non-local units.

Oukej,

Dunno how I missed that note :)

Can you confirm that it's just an issue with skillFinal command and that the skill interpolation is working as expected (considering setskill is executed on local units, but on clients) ?

Thanks!

A while ago I was testing the AI subskills with different AI presets for my community server purposes. I created a spreadsheet with the results and i thought to share it here because maybe it can help in fixing and adjusting AI by devs.

The only downside is that the test was performed while AGM_AI (we're using it in our dedi) was loaded which changes class CfgAISkill to the following values:

class CfgAISkill {
 aimingAccuracy[] = {0,0, 1,0.8};  // {0,0,1,1};   v1.26 defaults
 aimingShake[]    = {0,0, 1,0.6};  // {0,0,1,1};
 aimingSpeed[]    = {0,0, 1,0.7};  // {0,0.5,1,1};
 commanding[]     = {0,0, 1,0.8};  // {0,0,1,1};
 courage[]        = {0,0, 1,0.7};  // {0,0,1,1};
 endurance[]      = {0,0, 1,0.7};  // {0,0,1,1};
 general[]        = {0,0, 1,0.9};  // {0,0,1,1};
 reloadSpeed[]    = {0,0, 1,0.8};  // {0,0,1,1};
 spotDistance[]   = {0,0, 1,0.9};  // {0,0.2,1,0.4};
 spotTime[]       = {0,0, 1,0.7};  // {0,0,1,0.7};
};

Testing environment: Editor Preview

Command used: skillFinal

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iCOY0FxWzDw5HGvogIiz4V3Im5EBuBgHqrz7vkQDCB4/edit#gid=0

Important note - there's been a serious issue with AI skill when reading the mission.sqm by a dedicated server (see http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22077....

Calling off what I've claimed here partially. incorrect testing on my side :rolleyes: (fallen into a similar "locality" trap myself). Will provide more info asap.

I think I'm gonna write things that people already wrote in the past weeks and months. Also I'm not a programmer, so I can't be significantly helpful by posting codes or something like that. I just try being a little bit helpful by giving some feedback! :)

(Oh, and sorry for my english: I'm not mother tongue :) )

Before I write anything else: I speak as lover of the awesome Operation Flashpoint and the whole Arma saga; I define it as my favourite videogames series (and OFP my favourite videogame ever).

In the last weeks I've been playing A3 and I've been loving it very much (unluckily I play it with the lowest settings because of my 7\8 years old PC).

I saw many important improvements if comparing A3 to the previous games: AI now using covers; player's character and AI movements are better and more fluid; commands are faster and more immediate; better physics; nice graphic and more (more and more, but unlucily I have university exams and I can't play as much as I would like :D).

On the other side I found many problems, some of them afflicting the game since the first OFP!

What I mean is:

- Terryfing driving skills: how is that possible that soldiers driving a vehicle aren't able to avoid an obstacle on their path and when they hit it, they get stuck and take ages to make a very simple manouver to correct the path?

- Slow and confused pathfinding (in particular when in "combat mode") giving many problems. One of these happens when asking AI to get into a vehicle. The path (this happens also when in non-combat mode) is absolutely unrealistic: it is an "angle shaped" path, which also wastes your time (6 seconds to get into a vehicle due to a longer nonsense path instead of 2 is frustrating)! Moreover, AI gets completely disoriented if the vehicle in which they are ordered to get inside moves also for only some centimeters.

- Buildings use: AI almost never uses houses and the great covers they offer; never shoots through windows etc.

- Close quartier combat (which is also connected to the previous point): the impression I have when in CQC is that AI is disoriented and doesn't even know how to behave.

An example: yesterday I had my character crouched behind a wall, I then got on my feet and an enemy soldier - steady in a house entrance on the other side of the wall - saw me and started shooting. I crouched, so he couldn't see me anymore.

At this point I've switched to 3rd person camera and what I saw was the soldier aiming at my last known position. I thought: "Wow, cool! That's realistic too!" but soon I had to change my mind because he remained there aiming at that old position completely immobile, not moving around, not finding a new cover...Nothing! Just looking there and waiting for what...Death? I could easily get around him walking crouched behind the wall and kill him without any problem indeed.

- AI different squads not sharing infos + AI deafness. E.g.: if I meet a patrol of two men not too far away from other squads in a city quarter, then I kill one of the patrolling men (the one behind) with my NOT silenced pistol, what I have got is that the other man in front of him keeps walking like nothing happened.

If instead the other one sees me, if I can kill him without letting him shoot (maybe while he's alive I crouch behind a cover so he can't see me and I get around him), other squads will never know what happened...even if he had chance and time to call for reinforcements!

- AI will barely try saving his own life by retreating, also temporarily, behind a wall and waiting for some help.

- AI never uses smoke grenades!

I do hope that this feedback will be useful; I hope I'll have enough time to be more helpful with some videos, but I can't guarantee this since I'm studying hard because of university exams. :)

Great job with A3 anyway, I'm loving it very much!

Edited by otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA]

Added: AI rate of fire randomization (new parameter aiRateOfFireDispersion)

Can we please get more info on the above ? What does that parameter do exactly ?

Thx

Not sure if this belongs here but I'll give it a shot. I know how to configure CfgAISkill to modify the AI on the server to my liking. I was wondering if it's possible to modify the AI on a per unit basis created at the class level. What I mean for example is that I want to create two sets of CSAT rifleman, one who is "recruit" level and one who is "veteran" level. I'd like to be able to adjust their abilities in a custom class I make similar to their class they're made from, as seen here:

class O_Soldier_lite_F: O_Soldier_base_F

{

author = "$STR_A3_Bohemia_Interactive";

_generalMacro = "O_Soldier_lite_F";

scope = 2;

displayName = "$STR_B_Soldier_lite_F0";

weapons[] = {"arifle_Katiba_ACO_F","hgun_Rook40_F","Throw","Put"};

respawnWeapons[] = {"arifle_Katiba_C_ACO_F","hgun_Rook40_F","Throw","Put"};

magazines[] = {"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","SmokeShell","SmokeShellRed","Chemlight_red","Chemlight_red"};

respawnMagazines[] = {"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","16Rnd_9x21_Mag","SmokeShell","SmokeShellRed","Chemlight_red","Chemlight_red"};

camouflage = 1.2;

linkedItems[] = {"V_BandollierB_khk","H_MilCap_ocamo","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio","NVGoggles_OPFOR"};

respawnLinkedItems[] = {"V_BandollierB_khk","H_MilCap_ocamo","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio","NVGoggles_OPFOR"};

cost = 90000;

};

Is it possible to include CfgAISkills inside my created class so that in Zeus I could spawn both a Recruit Rifleman and a Veteran Rifleman and they will have extremely different AISkills on each.

I'm wondering all this again at the class level. I do not want to adjust AI abilities on the mission editor or through Zeus while in-game. I want to try and create these two sets of units entirely through a pbo I write up based on the default CSAT classes but with their AI already modified so when they are spawned into game they already by default have their AI Skills adjusted.

Is any of this possible or is CfgAISkills only something that works on a server-level for all units, as that's what I've found of how it works so far.

Cheers

Thanks, but all there is a reference to a ticket. One can only guess what it does, would be nice to get more info.

Updated, sorry for the lack of initial info.

In case you'd find the course of the property not giving you satisfying results, let us know.

Updated, sorry for the lack of initial info.

In case you'd find the course of the property not giving you satisfying results, let us know.

Initially I thought it was about adding variance to the burst length but I read that it's actually adding a variable delay between shots.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Guys, I have found a crucial AI bug that needs ASAP fix (link in my signature). 0022452: AI commander rearm order bug

Guys, I have found a crucial AI bug that needs ASAP fix (link in my signature). 0022452: AI commander rearm order bug

Oh damn that's real bad... Is this on the stable branch?

Also, BIS, please move all the "take XXX" commands to the END of the AI action list.

Oh damn that's real bad... Is this on the stable branch?

Also, BIS, please move all the "take XXX" commands to the END of the AI action list.

I don't use stable, so I don't know. I also agree with your "take XXX" suggestion.

Take xxx action is the most useless of them all. Oftentime I get like 5 or 6 pages with always the same shit, and ofc I've got no idea where any of these items are. This usually results in me sending my soldiers to a position 20 minutes away...

Well, this is embarrassing. The priorities of those actions were adjusted because of that already but it seems it got lost in the translation. Thanks for the notice!

Well, this is embarrassing. The priorities of those actions were adjusted because of that already but it seems it got lost in the translation. Thanks for the notice!

In addition, a welcome change would be not showing actions that include objects which are too far away. You wouldn't want to open a door or pick up something that's a couple kilometers from you.

In addition, a welcome change would be not showing actions that include objects which are too far away. You wouldn't want to open a door or pick up something that's a couple kilometers from you.

Yes, but sometimes you need to send one of your units few kilometres away to pickup something, or do something else.

hm. wouldn't it make more sense to send the unit there first and then issue the command to perform the action once he is actually near it?

hm. wouldn't it make more sense to send the unit there first and then issue the command to perform the action once he is actually near it?

Of course.

I was just playing some scouting missions in EP2 (1.38 stable) and something happened I never seen before in Arma games. At night, an AI with no NV and a flashlight on Mk20 sprayed me trough the wall! More then once! On lowest AI difficulty preset! I am absolutely shocked...

Is this a thing now or was is only this one going berserk? :D I reloaded couple of times and once he was running like 75m away from me with a building between us. As soon as I peaked corner he did a 180 and started shooting, all in an instant.

Though I noticed that sometimes, after you load a save, AI are in aware mode or even know where you are and engage when they were patrolling in safe mode before save. It seems if you save too close to them (>100m?) and they are on your screen they sometimes get bugged after load.