All these options are better than firing from 75m because even if it hit its target (extremely low chances) the damage inflicted will be too low to make a difference.

Oh you know they will pull that off, that will be the new problem. "I've been head shot killed by an AI using a pistol from 75 mts. bla, bla bla" kind of winning will follow through.

Oh you know they will pull that off, that will be the new problem. "I've been head shot killed by an AI using a pistol from 75 mts. bla, bla bla" kind of winning will follow through.

Another myth to debunk. Heh.

:yay:

Cheers

• Like 2

Thinking about what I would like the AI to do in that situation:

If there was cover, the pistol guy would use it and try and close the distance.

If there was no cover, he should pop caps off like a madman, trying to put them off their aim while they close the distance (like Martin Riggs for example)

• Like 2

Thinking about what I would like the AI to do in that situation:

If there was cover, the pistol guy would use it and try and close the distance.

If there was no cover, he should pop caps off like a madman, trying to put them off their aim while they close the distance (like Martin Riggs for example)

A mixture of above and very odd time retreat would be very entertaining . I say very odd time retreat as I'd be worried they'd end up like heli attack pilots and resort to flee ( staying still in the air doing nothing) more often than not.

I've just checked Arma 1 and the fleeing looked the same even there.

So it require some care......

Was this with vanilla A3?

Did you even hit it?

I'm getting annihilated shooting at a gunship at that distance when standing upright, out in the open.

At least 4 out of 5 times.

Repro mission.

Video:

Cheers

• Like 3

It can be affected by the difficulty and AI's skill (morale). Also usually it only happens only if the helicopter's crew doesn't have any chance to immediately look in your direction.

We are aware of it, it would be even better to revise fleeing. However I'm sorry to say we can't give it a priority atm.

It can be affected by the difficulty and AI's skill (morale). Also usually it only happens only if the helicopter's crew doesn't have any chance to immediately look in your direction.

We are aware of it, it would be even better to revise fleeing. However I'm sorry to say we can't give it a priority atm.

Turned the chopper a few degrees away from me, it became clueless about the shooters position if not looking in the general direction in the first place.

That's odd.

Wouldn't it be possible to make AI aware of the fact that they're sitting in the most powerful vehicle on the entire battlefield and act accordingly?

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello there. I write to know what AI improvements are on the way (except for the AI driving, which is already being improved).

I've noticed that some Arma AI long-time problems are still alive. First of all it's almost impossible to play stealth against the AI, since it is aware of everything...sometimes it's also able to spot you if you stay behind it! Very often the AI is able to spot the player everywhere, also behind bushes\trees which looks like almost useless to hide (or at least the bush hiding logic is completely unclear to me).

Other times AI is also too fast in reacting: if the enemy soldier sees you with the last corner of his eye, he immediately reacts, turns against you and shoots you with great precision...I mean, Arma is a war simulation, not a Terminator one! :)

Many of these problem can be easily found just by playing the first Adapt mission (I had completed the campaign the last year, but I've started playing it again some days ago and I'm finding too many AI problems...).

I don't know if there have been improvements when playing stealth as commander with AI teammates, but I remember that things were even worst in that case.

:)

First of all it's almost impossible to play stealth against the AI, since it is aware of everything...sometimes it's also able to spot you if you stay behind it! Very often the AI is able to spot the player everywhere, also behind bushes\trees which looks like almost useless to hide (or at least the bush hiding logic is completely unclear to me).

Not true at all.

If you slow walk in crouched position you can sneak up to 5m behind an enemy.

It's pretty authentic now, when wearing a ghillie suit you can lie in the grass 5m next to a road and have AI patrols walk right past you without noticing.

Of course this won't work if you've already exposed yourself or engaged the enemy, then you need to break line of sight, reposition and stay low for a while.

Breaking line of sight and concealing behind bushes is working just fine, there's a video earlier in this thread showing how well it works.

AI came a long way in arma 3.

• Like 8

Hello there. I write to know what AI improvements are on the way (except for the AI driving, which is already being improved).

I've noticed that some Arma AI long-time problems are still alive. First of all it's almost impossible to play stealth against the AI, since it is aware of everything...sometimes it's also able to spot you if you stay behind it! Very often the AI is able to spot the player everywhere, also behind bushes\trees which looks like almost useless to hide

:)

As grumpy has shown in his splendid videos. AI is coming along in Arma 3. might not be perfect but when compared to other games it is quite good in alot of areas considering the size and scope of arma 3. yes it is by no means perfect and there are some improvements that are needed .I think the team does a good Job communicating and working close with players on alot of issues.

You must remember when sneaking up to move as grumpy did and factor in AI reaction to sound.

I hitted it most the time + it happen very often with APC's (when apc shoot to the chopper). Tried on 0.40 and 0.25 skills. Give it a go if you will be ready, now i'm just not placing choppers or giving him route to fly away after interwention.

I hitted it most the time + it happen very often with APC's (when apc shoot to the chopper). Tried on 0.40 and 0.25 skills. Give it a go if you will be ready, now i'm just not placing choppers or giving him route to fly away after interwention.

Very interesting find right there.

Tested it with the Kajman and the marshall at 800m, the marshall being partially concealed by some trees and bushes.

You can hit the Kajman with the gunners LMG, HE or AP rounds, he only fires a few rounds in your general direction but doesn't engage or try to find out the shooters position.

Whole nother story if the marshall is out in the open, this is an encounter you'll barely survive.

The question is, if this is intended behavior it's actually working pretty good, on the other hand the kajman has thermal sights on board, if the AI were to use them they'd be way more precise about target knowledge.

Cheers

• Like 1

Not true at all.

If you slow walk in crouched position you can sneak up to 5m behind an enemy.

It's pretty authentic now, when wearing a ghillie suit you can lie in the grass 5m next to a road and have AI patrols walk right past you without noticing.

Of course this won't work if you've already exposed yourself or engaged the enemy, then you need to break line of sight, reposition and stay low for a while.

Breaking line of sight and concealing behind bushes is working just fine, there's a video earlier in this thread showing how well it works.

AI came a long way in arma 3.

As grumpy has shown in his splendid videos. AI is coming along in Arma 3. might not be perfect but when compared to other games it is quite good in alot of areas considering the size and scope of arma 3. yes it is by no means perfect and there are some improvements that are needed .I think the team does a good Job communicating and working close with players on alot of issues.

You must remember when sneaking up to move as grumpy did and factor in AI reaction to sound.

Well yes, I saw these huge improvements and I do appreciate them all. Indeed, during a patrol mission I could approach an enemy from behind, staying crouched, without being noticed and I liked that very much. 

Anyway I found something wrong during the first Adapt mission (called Signal Lost, if I'm not wrong) because I had a real hard time, sometimes, due to the "sometimes I know too much" AI. Of course, it's a very difficult mission (and I like challenges), but in some circumstances I found the AI being too much aware of what was going around, above all if I hid behind bushes (unspotted). 

Instead, if I had been spotted, happened that the AI could see me too easily behind bushes: they maybe knew rougly where I was, but they didn't know my precise position, but they could see me anyway even if there were bushes between me and them!

Anyway I do appreciate every improvement done by BIS to the Arma AI :D

• Like 1

Had some more fun with goofing around.

Even if the enemy knows there's a threat around, you can efficiently hide from them as long as they don't see you run into cover.

Also is there a way to disable those mindboggling stupid inventory animations when you're in Zeus mode?

Cheers

Also is there a way to disable those mindboggling stupid inventory animations when you're in Zeus mode?

And please change it to a lotus yoga position  ;) .

• Like 1

Sorry if this is not the place to post this but it would be nice to have Set AI Mode module updated with all options available for disableAI command.

• Like 1

At the Moment the AI uses choppers very bad. Light attack helicopter like the Pawnee mostly don't hit anything. You can't use them to attack Infatry, vehicles or anything else. As zeus i placed a CSAT squad. Then i placed a Pawnee and gave him the order to attack the soldiers. A few seconds later he was destroyed without making a single kill. I placed another chopper who got shot down too. I procceded this. After the squad shot down 4 choppers they nearly stopped shooting at the fifth one (They still had tons of ammo no idear why they stopped attacking). Finally the fifth chopper was able to make some kills. But after 20min still some of the CSAT squad were alive.

But the behaviour of heavy attack choppers is not much bether. Mostly they only use their guided missiles on a distance more then 3000m. I spawned 5 Kajman 1000m arround a mora. The mora destroyed all of them without problems. The heavy attack choppers attack very inefectiv and are nearly useless in most cases.

• Like 1

At the Moment the AI uses choppers very bad. Light attack helicopter like the Pawnee mostly don't hit anything. You can't use them to attack Infatry, vehicles or anything else. As zeus i placed a CSAT squad. Then i placed a Pawnee and gave him the order to attack the soldiers. A few seconds later he was destroyed without making a single kill. I placed another chopper who got shot down too. I procceded this. After the squad shot down 4 choppers they nearly stopped shooting at the fifth one (They still had tons of ammo no idear why they stopped attacking). Finally the fifth chopper was able to make some kills. But after 20min still some of the CSAT squad were alive.

But the behaviour of heavy attack choppers is not much bether. Mostly they only use their guided missiles on a distance more then 3000m. I spawned 5 Kajman 1000m arround a mora. The mora destroyed all of them without problems. The heavy attack choppers attack very inefectiv and are nearly useless in most cases.

I meet this long time ago, people were writing to me to increase AI skills,

then my story about headshots went on higher level, and global scale.

Till now i need to choose - one shot kills, or useless aircrafts.

I meet this long time ago, people were writing to me to increase AI skills,

then my story about headshots went on higher level, and global scale.

Till now i need to choose - one shot kills, or useless aircrafts.

You sure there's no middle ground on AI-controlled aircrafts and gunships?

Hopefully I'll have some time this evening to test out vanilla stuff regarding this.

Is it AI limitation? AI see and tell by radio protocol they see enemy. But  they don`t shoot. Even when I put crosshair at enemy and order to atack.

AI can`t engage enemy at distance more 800-900m .they  Aim at enemy and wait and wait . same with all weapon and optics excluding marksman weapons and sniper rifles..

skill and aim=1

Sounds reasonably. Waste of ammo trying to shoot something 800-900 unless you got a proper sniper rifle.

• Like 1