Try leaving some of the AI behind in a chopper extraction cause the AI pilot is a dick, and then watch your men that were left behind navigate using the map and the "go to" command, I was quite surprised the wee fuckers actually made it to my position, granted it took lots of "where are you" and a couple of hours, whilst I went off sightseeing, but they actually did make it.

I've always found the vanilla AI to be fucking imbeciles right through all of the OFP/ARMA franchise when it came to navigating over long distance beyond visual range.

Any improvements on this would be very welcome, without the need for AI enhancement mods.

• Like 1

Great! And I base my experience on gaming and being a cunty consumer with common sense

Oh Geez, now that's what I call a well-informed, objective and factual discussion. Obviously, I have said my part, I am not going to stoop to that level.

Have a nice day.

• Like 3

LOL steady on now girls!  Back to your bedrooms for a long hard think!  We are all on the same side - that side being AI NEEDS MOAR LUV !

EDIT: I dream of Arma, one day, when there is no need for 4rd party AI improvement addons.

• Like 1

The reason I feel the AI behaviour has been feature locked by higher ups is that its pretty hard to believe that when you have a whole AI team -they wouldnt get any enjoyment on advancing the AI with new and exciting things rather than eternally streamlining. Would they not want o start experimenting with breach and clear or class specific behaviours?

Recently loaded up OPF Dragon Crapping and Ill be damned if those simpletons didnt enter a house with 1st AI taking a knee on entry, with next AI going to 2nd room and taking knee etc, then working there way up stairs guns pointing proper direction -not the prettiest but still its something. Why cant we have this?? Would it be that hard to add entry and breach nodes to all the houses that are enterable? Are nodes that expensive to add? Is any of this considered when actually designing enterable buildings?

It is frustrating because they always go dark on us for this conversation. There is no 'Audio Team expose' equivalent for the Ai squad with an in forum liason such as Mega...

Props to FFV at least

• Like 3

It is frustrating because they always go dark on us for this conversation. There is no 'Audio Team expose' equivalent for the Ai squad with an in forum liason such as Mega...

This, this so much. OndÅ™ej does a great job making sure we're aware of changes but we never hear about an AI roadmap or what the future plans/priorities are  :(

Recently loaded up OPF Dragon Crapping and Ill be damned if those simpletons didnt enter a house with 1st AI taking a knee on entry, with next AI going to 2nd room and taking knee etc, then working there way up stairs guns pointing proper direction -not the prettiest but still its something. Why cant we have this?? Would it be that hard to add entry and breach nodes to all the houses that are enterable? Are nodes that expensive to add? Is any of this considered when actually designing enterable buildings?

It pains me to say it, but in Dragon Rising I actually saw an AI that was in a 50cal who couldn't turn the gun far enough to shoot at a flanking opponent. He got out of the gun, shot the guy with his rifle, and got back in. In Arma, the gunner would stay in and allow himself to be shot :(

• Like 6

Froggyluv, I think it's quite telling how in games where AI can't do half the things it is capable of doing in arma - it is still capable of getting to every place except for very rare cases of hard to get through environments.

But we are talking about an open path to the second floor of a ww2 fort and it's a big NoNo to AI because a bunch of knee high stones are there 4m apart. In 2016 it's beyond laughable

And the argument - hey it's for PvP crowd - is so unbelievably ridiculous.

• Like 3

Fill in a bug report with location pls.

• Like 1

I'm still thinking why Ai are not taking shortest way to waypoint - for example there is convoy on the road, me and some guy (AI) standing in front of it, road is wide enough for 3 or 4 tanks, so there is enoguh place, i'm ordering guy to get in last truck from convoy - and what is he doing? he is walking from the road, around buildings, instead of keeping the road to reach his vehicle. This is something i will never understand. And this is something that kills my whole squad most often. I need to check half of town, when giving coordinates to my Ai folks.

Oukej, the change you guys implemented to apply suppression effect to AI ejecting from damaged vehicles, I think it should be applied also for AI simply exiting vehicles. They too easily and too fast snipe their target right after disembarking.

• Like 3

I agree with froggyluv that our AI should be able to do the basics of infantry combat.   Taking house positions (but not being fixed there if an enemy is flanking!) should be bread and butter of any infantry game.  We'd appreciate an OPREP about what AI improvements we can expect to see, and how we can help test things out for the DEVs.

• Like 4

I'm still 100% of the opinion that the Ai simply needs more animations. It's beyond clear that the Ai simple is utterly incapable of functioning properly with the same controls that players have. It's why they look like robots/turrets because they can't utilize strafing/sidestepping properly or peeking around corners, instead they stand still and just 360 around or slowly slither around corners like snakes. heck they can't even make use of combat stances(as far as I'm aware)

They need to make more Ai specific animation for pretty much everything, especially taking cover. It would be by no means an easy undertaking and thats probably why we haven't/will never see it happen, but I firmly believe that as long as the Ai is bound to the same animations that we are, they will never truly advance or feel like a competent force.

And this is besides all the other issues that plague Ai, like how when they use air vehicles they use ground height instead of sea level which ends up with them constantly bobbing up and down which is incredibly annoying. And the obvious, which is their inability to make proper use of vehicles(apparently they're working on this? Don't have high hopes but at least that means I'll be happily surprised when I'm wrong)

This, this so much. OndÅ™ej does a great job making sure we're aware of changes but we never hear about an AI roadmap or what the future plans/priorities are  :(

The reason is simple, tweaking and improving AI is a very tedius and dull process. Who wants to see a video of the AI devs coding and pulling their hair out all day?

The reason is simple, tweaking and improving AI is a very tedius and dull process. Who wants to see a video of the AI devs coding and pulling their hair out all day?

Who said they want to see a video? All people ask for is a ROADMAP, i.e. information about what is planned for the AI in the future.

You obviously have no idea about game development if you think anything else like graphics or sound is not equally dull most of the time.

As many others have voiced, I too would love to see an AI roadmap!

Even if our most important feature(s) was not on the current list, at least we'd know.  In that case, we could always just roll up our sleeves, and better enjoy what we've got currently (which is way more AI-wise than so many other games).  With an actual AI roadmap in hand (even a slightly disappointing one), seems like we could all breathe a collective sign of relief, knowing we could simply look forward to future AI roadmaps (six months, perhaps a year down the line).

What is yet in store for AI in ArmA3?

Who said they want to see a video? All people ask for is a ROADMAP, i.e. information about what is planned for the AI in the future.

You obviously have no idea about game development if you think anything else like graphics or sound is not equally dull most of the time.

Was thinking about those nice dev diaries with video they've made in the past and yes I have no clue about game development.

My point was (which I expressed poorly), that for most of the stuff they are working on it's probably unsure if it will even have a positive effect in the end, which means they probably don't want to start a hype for something they can't deliver in the end because of technical limitations.

On the other hand, the pathfinding improvements for vehicles were announced months ago, at least here on the forums.

RPT spammed with this, when new pacific CSAT spawned.

11:18:37 Protocol bin\config.bin/RadioProtocolCHI/: Missing word veh_helicopter

@Ondrej Kuzel

Hi, I did notice in the changelog that the flashlight will now give away your position to the bots.

I did not notice however the same thing for laser pointers.

Is it planned to make AI reveal your position if he is equipped with NVG ?

Same could be done for IR strobes (Like a script to reveal you if you are 5m away from strobe/IR grenade).

Would have made players think twice before operating IR equipment.

• Like 3

...they can't utilize strafing/sidestepping properly or peeking around corners, instead they stand still and just 360 around or slowly slither around corners like snakes. heck they can't even make use of combat stances(as far as I'm aware)

Just a quick note. I'm 100% sure that I seen AI peek out from cover and also seen they use the basic combat stances.

/KC

• Like 1

hey guys...i love playing with the AI but with Tanoa i have some problems in CQB. How do you command your guys between all those sheds with small windos or in cqb in generall. Or do you do it on your own?

I miss some kind of: clear that building command...so that 3-4 units clear the building with the rest covering the sourroundings. I would do it manually in C2 but the map is not precise enough to do so.

Is it just me or do more people find the AI to overreacte by going into "tree-mode" when in stealth (since last update)?

They just don't seem to go anywhere anymore when in stealth.

Oh, and don't leave them behind in a city like Lijnhaven. The poor bastards will never get out again, ever...

Here's one thing with AI that should be easy for BIS to do

One comfortable way to control more than 5 AIs is splitting them into colored teams. Then you just give movement order to said teams and they will go to the defined location with everyone, and here's an issue, except the leader intelligently taking cover when under fire (greatly decreasing micromanagement further). The leader of said colored team (which is a guy with the earliest number on that team) will however stay in the exactly same spot you have pointed at - whereas it's more logical for him to behave like his team members since you can't always point him to a perfectly covered position.

This way that ArmA handles teams also exposed further issues. For example I have team red in a set position and I want them to move 50m ahead. I use 1-2, which is an 'advance' order and everyone - BUT the team leader again - do that and take cover 50m ahead of their position. Same goes for flanking manoeuvres (1-4 and 1-5).

Furthermore when ordering whole team to suppress a given position with 3-9 only teamleader will do that, the remaining members will act as if they had not received any order.

The solution should be - whole team, including the leader should act like it currently does without the leader , while at the same time suppression order should be received by everyone on the team

• Like 3

On an other thing,will the path finding also give us better driving of the ships? Much needed...

Can you give a player the ability to order the AI to throw smoke. Like the suppression command except with smoke!

Will there be an easy to make tanks follow a straight path? and move over obstacles in their path?