OP ill try and get a video up of the infantry soon.

As far as driving: @1:47 of this video you can see a pickup driving around a fence i had placed in its way as a checkpoint

• Like 1

Just a somewhat AI related question for devs:

is there any way to get  (by script) the actual fsm handle of a "danger.fsm" script running on a unit at any time?
It would come in handy in order to pull interesting information from it ( via getFSMVariable ) without actually overwriting / patching the original fsm.
  • Like 1

@Froggyluv: From your video, they do indeed drive round obstacles. Not too shabby! Wasn't that something VCOM was able to teach the AI - and now they just do it in vanilla ? Good times :)

@Froggyluv: From your video, they do indeed drive round obstacles. Not too shabby! Wasn't that something VCOM was able to teach the AI - and now they just do it in vanilla ? Good times :)

I sure hope so. I'd love to drop VCOM AI Driving. The less dependencies and scripts the better.

I can't wait to see some other impressions. Maybe eventually I can't drop ASR AI too. :)

Heres the Infantry using the pallets I placed as cover albeit in not the smartest way

• Like 1

Uhm judging by your previous video, you're running the Group Link 5 mod. This mod modifies AI behavior. I seriously doubt you'd see this behavior without any mods and scripts..

I just did a quick test of the AI for crossing bridges and the leader is stuck as soon as an object appear in front of them while they are crossing.

No mod were used.

Sorry for the horrid video compression.

It is working without trouble if no object are in their path.

• Like 2

Wrong thread, sry!

/KC

AI is incapable of crossing the bridge at WW2 fort near the town on Tanoa, they swim instead.

They can't get to the top of that fort either, because stones lying on the ground mess with their pathfinding. Is it possible to make AI pathfinding more precise because apparently it cannot walk in between two objects if they are less than ~3m apart

It also takes ETERNITY for AI infantry to cross long bridges since they prefer walking instead of running, even when waypoint has their speed set to full

AI is incapable of crossing the bridge at WW2 fort near the town on Tanoa, they swim instead.

They can't get to the top of that fort either, because stones lying on the ground mess with their pathfinding. Is it possible to make AI pathfinding more precise because apparently it cannot walk in between two objects if they are less than ~3m apart

It also takes ETERNITY for AI infantry to cross long bridges since they prefer walking instead of running, even when waypoint has their speed set to full

Yes!

It is total madness.

Madness?

THIS....IS......ARMA!

It's always been one of the series weakness.

Hoping it is on the list. It sure would make Tanoa more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes!

It is total madness.

Madness?

THIS....IS......ARMA!

It's always been one of the series weakness.

At the early stage of Armed Assault the AI were stuck on the bridge south of Obregan, I remember to be unable to finish a mission because of it BUT now at least the AI are crossing if nothing is in their path.

Heres the Infantry using the pallets I placed as cover albeit in not the smartest way

Did they do this on their own, or did you order them there or command them to find cover?

Either way, very nice! I'm impressed.

They did it by themselves and no GL5 is not running for this one but was for the car one which is months old. SLX AI is running from Arma2 so maybe thats responsible Ill test some more. Mostly just wanted to show what could be done and that this area should be advanced by the devs.

*dreams of men using their vehicles as cover*

Edit: Removed all Ai mods and they still do it -this is Vanilla! Dont know if its just certain objects have a cover node or what but pretty exciting noneTheLess

Using no mods. AI cross bridges on foot or in vehicles.  No commands given. They also drive around objects/obstacles including players and other AI very well. Tested for an hour today. Smashing!

• Like 1

Nice evolution for the AI  :)  The final test would be to see if they only perceive - ie. avoid (or take cover behind) - objects that are Arma 3 certified, or if they can handle legacy A2 objects that are placed in front of them as well. Gonna give it a try soon ....

I'm pretty sure the AI has always used placed objects as cover. And 100% certain they did in 1.58.

I assume they dynamically check the view/fire blocking of any objects near their path or between them and the enemy. The object itself shouldn't matter at all. That's why they hide behind 10cm wide street signs.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140837-development-branch-changelog/page-40#entry3040615

09-06-2016
Tweaked: AI vehicle path-following was improved
(more Intel tomorrow)

Sounds big. :o

• Like 1

Very interesting - we may finally get bridges working for the AI now that waterway Tanoa is coming. Excellent if that is the case. That would also help with Panthera and other nice maps.

As for obstacles and AI behind the wheel, I distinctly remember playing an A3 mission where my AI driver was completely unable to maneuver out of the base that we started in. The base was custom built and they would crash into the large sandbag barriers repeatedly as if not "seeing" there was something there. So no pathfinding in that case. It may be different when they are on foot.

I'm pretty sure the AI has always used placed objects as cover. And 100% certain they did in 1.58.

I assume they dynamically check the view/fire blocking of any objects near their path or between them and the enemy. The object itself shouldn't matter at all. That why they hide behind 10cm wide street signs.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140837-development-branch-changelog/page-40#entry3040615

Sounds big. :o

completely bugged for me at the moment.

drivers just driving in circles ... backwards!

completely bugged for me at the moment.

drivers just driving in circles ... backwards!

Can confirm similar experience with wheeled vehicles. Give them a waypoint, then their front tyres spasm and then stop at an angle - vehicle barely moves (or it drives around in circles). Tracked vehicles still move about okay. Ran a quick test with some CSAT vehicles in Zeus: General navigation was okay; crossed over bridges without any problem at all. However, they completely overshot almost every junction, even on a "slow", Safe waypoint. It strikes me that they just don't brake enough. I don't know just how borked the update is, but this is something that needs fixing regardless.

Indeed AI driving is broken on dev-branch at the moment. Soonest fix going to be tomorrow midday

• Like 3

If it is too soon, if the priority first is the island object placement then i will wait, if not... AI stuck on Ravi-ta island on the first yellow house at the port.  :D

Can someone confirm that the "copy my stance" command is broken? (dev branch, not modded, for a while now)

Not sure if I've missed something maybe, but it doesn't seem to be possible to command a tank crew while you're turned out.

Upon turning out, the vehicle UI disappears and I am unable to give driving directions.

I'm guessing this is a bug, as it would seem otherwise illogical.

Not sure if I've missed something maybe, but it doesn't seem to be possible to command a tank crew while you're turned out.

Upon turning out, the vehicle UI disappears and I am unable to give driving directions.

I'm guessing this is a bug, as it would seem otherwise illogical.

Confirmed.

• Like 1