That's some general thinking. Surely, it's harded to implement all of this into game code. Thanks for taking the time with it ;)

Only real solution for that would be to animate detailed embark/disembark animations for all vehicles... as in actually climbing out of the hatches. But that's a bit much too ask i think. Especially with all the difficult situations (like turret rotation, or when next to another object that blocks "animation route" etc). It would be kick ass... but i don't think it's worth the work required for that.

I'm more concerned by the last few rounds (those that nearly kill you). That seems like a bug where he's returning to his previous animation before the firing is actually completed.

Has been around for ages (certainly arma 2). When a target is killed (or shooting order completed), and the desired "AI firing burst" that is defined for each weapon isn't finished yet, AI will turn away while still shooting. Would be really nice to see a fix for this after all these years. Especially problematic with fast firing large-burst weapons like AA autocannon for example.

Only real solution for that would be to animate detailed embark/disembark animations for all vehicles... as in actually climbing out of the hatches. But that's a bit much too ask i think. Especially with all the difficult situations (like turret rotation, or when next to another object that blocks "animation route" etc). It would be kick ass... but i don't think it's worth the work required for that.

They could also utilise gunnerDoor parameter in config since get out/in animation is triggered in that case after animation is finished

They could also utilise gunnerDoor parameter in config since get out/in animation is triggered in that case after animation is finished

According to engine it should work like that. We don't use gunnerDoor in official content, so if you guys have some vehicles with doors configured, you can check ;)

• Like 1

Hi, does the AI have a way to be aware of the shape of their vehicles ?

Hi, does the AI have a way to be aware of the shape of their vehicles ?

Good question indeed. For example, are helicopters aware of how to orient the aircraft to better fit a landing area?

I'm asking because it's usual to see the AI driving a car in a pillar while turning in a curve or roll on allies, or two helicopters colliding in a close formation...

I'm asking because it's usual to see the AI driving a car in a pillar while turning in a curve or roll on allies, or two helicopters colliding in a close formation...

Generally AI are aware of the size of vehicle, but the question is very broad. For formation its different method, for path following different one.

Vacuum cleaners incoming.

• Like 6

Generally AI are aware of the size of vehicle, but the question is very broad. For formation its different method, for path following different one.

By any chance, could you give us a hint when an update when AI convoy / column vehicle formation pathfinding update is coming? ;) If only.

• Like 2

Do you need any specific feedback about this kind of incidents (like friendly roadkill, collisions...)?

@Klamacz i observed very strange issue about keeping formation in infantry - if i move into the site, moving along the fence ( stoned fences, buildings) to the crossroads (or just entry into the backyard) with formation "file", and "combat" behavior, my fellows are allways runing in front of me, instead keeping themselves in the back, which resoults their dead, beacuse they run free (and maybe happy) straight under enemy barrels, and sharing no reaction on enemy fire (just continue runing onto enemy). Its very frustrating, and everytime i got 5-8 people team, i'm finishing mission with only 1 or max 3 guys. They allways die beacuse of this "bug".

By any chance, could you give us a hint when an update when AI convoy / column vehicle formation pathfinding update is coming? ;) If only.

I just did

@Klamacz i observed very strange issue about keeping formation in infantry - if i move into the site, moving along the fence ( stoned fences, buildings) to the crossroads (or just entry into the backyard) with formation "file", and "combat" behavior, my fellows are allways runing in front of me, instead keeping themselves in the back, which resoults their dead, beacuse they run free (and maybe happy) straight under enemy barrels, and sharing no reaction on enemy fire (just continue runing onto enemy). Its very frustrating, and everytime i got 5-8 people team, i'm finishing mission with only 1 or max 3 guys. They allways die beacuse of this "bug".

Will check how it works, thanks for report

• Like 1

Thanks for making dive ops possible. Like that AI detects you if you dive to shallow. Just wish some better visibility under water, pre 1.60 was really nice.

/KC

Maybe I missed something. I do know about the new Disable AI commands, but the generally do not do what some of us need. I think. lol Basically is there a disengage command yet? Like _unit dodisengage and get your hind parts behind that rock command? or in my case _unit dodisengage and do what this upstart amateur coder wants you to do? lol I guess even with the new disable AI they still will sit out in the open and return fire even though I've used domove moveTo and even made my own fsm which made it better but still not quite there. I've looked at other threads and most are saying the same thing. Its all hard coded in and there is very little you can do about it. We don't want them to just stop and stand there either especially when ive gave a few codes saying run you fool. lol he he he he aside from that. The things you've done with AI almost makes it not worth the time of creating a mod to edit AI behavior. ;) But sense people keep throwing peanuts, and asking for it we do. lol

Maybe I missed something. I do know about the new Disable AI commands, but the generally do not do what some of us need. I think. lol Basically is there a disengage command yet? Like _unit dodisengage and get your hind parts behind that rock command? or in my case _unit dodisengage and do what this upstart amateur coder wants you to do? lol I guess even with the new disable AI they still will sit out in the open and return fire even though I've used domove moveTo and even made my own fsm which made it better but still not quite there. I've looked at other threads and most are saying the same thing. Its all hard coded in and there is very little you can do about it. We don't want them to just stop and stand there either especially when ive gave a few codes saying run you fool. lol he he he he aside from that. The things you've done with AI almost makes it not worth the time of creating a mod to edit AI behavior. ;) But sense people keep throwing peanuts, and asking for it we do. lol

_unit disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";
will prevent the unit from going into combat mode. This should make the AI follow orders again. :)

There's also a "disengage" command in the AI commanding menus and I assume it does something similar to

_unit commandWatch objNull;

This is what I am using by trigger right now with my scripts turned off.

bugga disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT"; 
bugga disableAI  "COVER"; 
bugga disableAI "AUTOTARGET";
bugga commandWatch objNull; 
bugga doMove (position truck); 
hint "move it";

Still same results he still will engage and not move to truck. Yes I really did name him bugga. :P When they 1st came out with the commands in Dev it seemed to work good. But now its like before. AI will not listen to me anymore :(

This is what I actually used in FOA V2 that worked for a short period of time.

_unit disableAI "COVER";
_unit disableAI "AUTOTARGET";
_unit disableAI "TARGET";
_unit disableAI "SUPPRESSION";
_unit disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";

Wait, did 'vaccum cleaners' mean room clearing? I can't remember.

• Like 1

In case they're already in combat mode before the trigger triggered you should probably set the group/unit back to "AWARE" or "SAFE" after disabling "AUTOCOMBAT". Just guessing though. :)

Thanks, but have done all that. Setting careless used to work great now they just walk. Combat mode blue and green they will disengage but still wont move. lol Several other things as well. lol oh well cant have you're cake and eat it. Maybe Dev will figure it out sooner or later, or ignore it depending on how many other AI guru's are speaking up.

It's weird though, when playing with the C2 commanding mod the disengaging seems to work "good enough".

maybe its because i have it in an fsm. will change over to reg sqf n see and change the order up a bit. idk

{_x  disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";
_x disableAI "COVER";
_x disableAI "AUTOTARGET";
_x commandWatch objNull;
_x doMove (position truck);
hint "move it";
} foreach units player group

Variation of the above works fine for me with one exception the AI won't shut up shouting "no target, go, I'm covering"  I'm finding it really annoying.

I may be shroomin and yes I have some mods running but I just seen my squad use EDITOR PLACED OBJECTS as cover?! Meaning they were leaning in and out from those giant stacks of wood boards.

• Like 3

@f2k sel change commandwatch to _unit dowatch objnull; That will shut them up.

idk what I was seeing the other day, tested FOA again and it seems to be working, but this was after I went to dev branch for apex. Not sure what difference it made or if I was just not seeing what they were actually doing. 2 hours sleep doesn't help either. Maybe they were actually taking cover before. idk. Anywho it works.

I may be shroomin and yes I have some mods running but I just seen my squad use EDITOR PLACED OBJECTS as cover?! Meaning they were leaning in and out from those giant stacks of wood boards.

Interesting - I would not expect to see that happening. Not in vanilla, at least.

The real test, I guess, is to see if they drive around it if you place it in the middle of a road. That has previously been an unsurmountable challenge for the AI :)