That would be required, as they are totally shut down robots at that time. I suppose use enableAI with the same commands? Haven't tried it yet

Nice work guys... can you get them back to vanilla bis reactions at the end of the move ?

sure

tag_fnc_resetAutoCombat = {
      //code to reset the groups default behaviors.
      _grp = _this select 0;
      if (!local _grp) exitWith {};       // setwaypointstatements executes the statement on all machines
      {
           _x enableAI 'AUTOCOMBAT';
           _x enableAI 'AUTOTARGET';
           _x enableAI 'TARGET';
           _x enableAI 'COVER';
       } count (units _grp);
};

// when setting the waypoints
_waypoint setWaypointStatements ['true','[group this] call tag_fnc_resetAutoCombat;'];

Yup, just renable everything via trigger. Just had my group run thru fire without stopping until getting to two parked jeeps in which they than lay flat and returned fire

ninja'ed!

Yup, just renable everything via trigger. Just had my group run thru fire without stopping until getting to two parked jeeps in which they than lay flat and returned fire

ninja'ed!

I should have been more specific lol... how do they handle going back into all the enableAI modes. is it instantaneous and does it work well? no weird reactions or anything.. they don't break out in spontaneous breakdance... sounds like a winner

Great stuff! Now it will be possible for the AI to have some self-preservation like having helis/armour RTB/retreat if taking a beating and not just keep charging like kamikaze soldiers until death :)

/KC

Great stuff! Now it will be possible for the AI to have some self-preservation like having helis/armour RTB/retreat if taking a beating and not just keep charging like kamikaze soldiers until death :)

/KC

This shouldn't have to come from custom made scripts. We should be seeing incremental improvements on this by BIS and not have to rely on workarounds like this for this behavior to get better over time.

Seeing as this is a discussion on Dev Branch, have any improvements in this area been made at all?

By BI, sort of. They have made progress into the AI brain with the latest addition to disableAI in 1.56.

This latest investigation was started by me bitching about why there was no command for telling your subordinates to move which would actually lead them to do so. Especially since the new command should make that possible. So kind of on the same page as you.

I still think that should be the ultimate outcome, some kind of command on the standard command menus.

For now, we need to combine several commands (in scripts) to get the desired behaviour, as shown above. But at least it is possible, that was not the case before 1.56. So that raises the probability that BI will eventually make some command, I guess

-OP

• Like 2

:) So glad! Now to revisit all the scripted orders  :lol: . It's a neverending story...

Here's above code in action to just Run:  As usual, only 1st minute or so is necessary -stop being an old curmudgeon and run with it!

Messed with this abunch. Paired up with another identical squad with same waypoint created but no AI instruction -they generally died 80% of the time - mostly getting into a firefight with the guys in the woods while my squad ignored and ran to safety. Few problems encountered when Squad leader took any damage -he'd usually than abandon the run but leave the rest of the squad in a listless do not fire type mode.

Overall theres a lot to look forward to from this tho

• Like 4

Interesting - will have a look tonight. Will be nice to observe the script in a more complex setting.

I had issues with wounded subordinates also in my test. When suppressing I would accidentally hit them and that made for more varied outcomes. At one time, the paramedic started bandaging a teammate, which was nice to see  :)

• Like 1

At one time, the paramedic started bandaging a teammate, which was nice to see  :)

Except under fire ! :) 

• Like 1

This shouldn't have to come from custom made scripts. We should be seeing incremental improvements on this by BIS and not have to rely on workarounds like this for this behavior to get better over time.

Seeing as this is a discussion on Dev Branch, have any improvements in this area been made at all?

I agree with you but I rather take this than nothing at all.

/KC

I agree with you but I rather take this than nothing at all.

/KC

True.

But it's not like these things can't be implemented by BIS. Plenty of decent AI mods out there show the engine is capable. I just keep imagining what it would be like and how great the quality could/would be if BIS just did this themselves, periodically, over time.

• Like 1

True.

But it's not like these things can't be implemented by BIS. Plenty of decent AI mods out there show the engine is capable. I just keep imagining what it would be like and how great the quality could/would be if BIS just did this themselves, periodically, over time.

But all the AI mods have a small to medium impact on overall game's performance and they introduce new problems, too.

What BIS wants to do, [i assume] is to integrate new core AI features that seamlessly interact with the current features and have a as min performance impact as possible.

That's not easy, especially if you want your codebase to look clean and be maintainable + documented after an implementation of new stuff.

• Like 1

Editing AI behavior is not an easy task. There are so many variables that go into what AI can and cannot do in any given situation to make them look and act like real people. I find the more code you put in to simulate a real person the bigger the hit on frame rates. You have to pick and choose most of the time to sacrifice certain behavior for performance. As with any mod maker or game developer. Its about personal taste. Thus we have what 5 AI mods now. Its not that Bis AI is terrible, or any of the AI mods out there. They have made some pretty major improvements this last update. But there are certain things I want to see out of a soldier. My taste may not agree with the authors of Arma 3, Bcombat, ASR, or even Vcom. If we combined all aspects of each. Most likely the game wouldn't run good because there is to much going on in the back ground.  Could the AI be better. Yes but to who's standards and tastes? If you haven't noticed everyone in the Community does not have the same tastes in what they would like to see. You cannot please everyone and you can only sacrifice performance and enjoyment with realism so much. ;)

Editing AI behavior is not an easy task. There are so many variables that go into what AI can and cannot do in any given situation to make them look and act like real people. I find the more code you put in to simulate a real person the bigger the hit on frame rates. You have to pick and choose most of the time to sacrifice certain behavior for performance. As with any mod maker or game developer. Its about personal taste. Thus we have what 5 AI mods now. Its not that Bis AI is terrible, or any of the AI mods out there. They have made some pretty major improvements this last update. But there are certain things I want to see out of a soldier. My taste may not agree with the authors of Arma 3, Bcombat, ASR, or even Vcom. If we combined all aspects of each. Most likely the game wouldn't run good because there is to much going on in the back ground.  Could the AI be better. Yes but to who's standards and tastes? If you haven't noticed everyone in the Community does not have the same tastes in what they would like to see. You cannot please everyone and you can only sacrifice performance and enjoyment with realism so much. ;)

I just feel like you're looking into this too much. I see where you're coming from totally but is it really up for debate that things like driving, the medics actually healing hurt solders automatically and the AI looking for cover when under fire are not things things the AI should always do?

• Like 3

I just feel like you're looking into this too much. I see where you're coming from totally but is it really up for debate that things like driving, the medics actually healing hurt solders automatically and the AI looking for cover when under fire are not things things the AI should always do?

Automedis scipt is famous, why its not implemented into the game yet? I double checked, it not eat performance.....

• Like 1

Got a quick feasibility question for oukej: Considering AI path-finding, would it be possible to define "No-Go" zones for the path-finding? Either as a "unit setNoGoZone _some_rectangular_marker;" or, if it's not possible on a per-unit level, then globally as a "setNoGoZone _some_rectangular_marker;" :) 

Is this within the realm of feasibility or is the path-finding algorithm a dragon that should better be left sleeping? If it is feasible, even if it's just a single area that applies globally to all units, it would make a few mission design concepts a lot easier :) :) :) 

Actually we've recently teamed up with a renown robotic vacuum cleaner company. Our programmers are currently wiring up the acquired path-finding algorithms into the Arma 3's AI. And the results so far look great!
I will break the "no promises" rule here as it's pretty safe to say that in near future you can expect some massive AI improvements - from clean AI driving to brand new room clearance and town sweeping FSMs. We're also teaching the AI few new dirt(y) tactics ;)
Stay tuned!

• Like 13

Sniff, sniff... It smells like a 1st April joke all over it but if true we are all going to love you! ;)

/KC

• Like 1

Actually we've recently teamed up with a renown robotic vacuum cleaner company. Our programmers are currently wiring up the acquired path-finding algorithms into the Arma 3's AI. And the results so far look great!

I will break the "no promises" rule here as it's pretty safe to say that in near future you can expect some massive AI improvements - from clean AI driving to brand new room clearance and town sweeping FSMs. We're also teaching the AI few new dirt(y) tactics ;)

Stay tuned!

I heard you can't make jokes on April 1st after 12AM in some countries (perhaps CZ included), so I'm gonna believe you :D

Damn, seems like a revolution coming to AI... The bastards will know how to flank [in tight spaces] and advance through hostile areas! :o

I suppose advanced AI pathfinding won't affect performance one bit, yes? Maybe they're somehow optimized for AIs in specific squad formations?

That'd be cool.

Unfortunately the I in AI isn't.  Won't happen as not enough time/effort goes into it.

Stay tuned!

Now thats just mean.

I really wanted that vacuum cleaner :16_6_8:

• Like 1

It would be a pretty bad joke because we definitely need this for the jungles of Tanoa...

Stay tuned!

So they are "wiring" up the algorithm bit by bit or line by line?