Sometimes AI won't go to a waypoint if it happens to be on a road (see this example on Stratis):

11:56:14 Out of path-planning region for O Alpha 1-3:4 at 6272.0,5025.0, node type Road
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if I tested this right but the AI do seem so snap out of combat mode with it... :huh:

They just get up and start running if you order them to move. They might still fire a couple of shots occasionally if there's an enemy right in front of them, but mostly they just run.

Sounds promising! Don't have dev build installed atm but will get it in ASAP :)

/KC

I endure the quirks of Dev build just because this one feature overpowers all the 'dev-buildy' issues. It changes everything, I could not be happier.

• Like 1

ohhhhhh please please pleasssssse!!!!!!! Disable autocombat may be the thing We need. :)) Either that or a moveherenowIdontevencare command.

Speaking from a vanilla (un-modded) point of view, should BI not just make sure that disable autocombat is the default state for all units in a scenario? Then move, disengage etc. will just work like we would expect as AI commander.

• Like 1

Sometimes AI won't go to a waypoint if it happens to be on a road (see this example on Stratis):

11:56:14 Out of path-planning region for O Alpha 1-3:4 at 6272.0,5025.0, node type Road
Could you please send me a scenario where this happens?

Any chance autocombat could be disabled by default if the leader of the group is a player? It would basically solve all the issues where squad mates would turn into combat mode and slowing down.

Absolutely agree, only sensible thing to do. It should be vanilla behavior (not be reliant on mods)

I would be interested in testing that before it was default off.

Just to see...

We finally got them to break the prone stuff upon contact and mikey tried disabling auto on dev branch after this video and says it's even better...

Great addition BI

Can driving be next lol :)

• Like 1

I would be interested in testing that before it was default off.

Just to see...

We finally got them to break the prone stuff upon contact and mikey tried disabling auto on dev branch after this video and says it's even better...

Great addition BI

Can driving be next lol :)

maybe with it off AI drivers won't be trying to hide behind trees and walls.

Could you please send me a scenario where this happens?

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a solid repro for you but it's not occurring very much so it's hard to test for.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with Vehicle Groups being given "move" waypoints in combat mode but I can't get it to occur reliably so far.  I'll do some more testing and get it over to you when I nail it down.

Just found out about disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT" and I'm super excited.

maybe with it off AI drivers won't be trying to hide behind trees and walls.

Having just tested a convoy... it seems more like a pathfinding/I can't tell there is a building there issue...

But maybe you are right. .. maybe they won't panic as much while driving...

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for adding the Autocombat AI control feature, I may redesign an entire mission if it works as I expect; currently, the mission linked below uses AI with numerous modified behaviours in an attempt to produce similar responses to the behaviour this feature should produce. 

So thanks BIS, much appreciated!

If anyone would like to check out and compare my now (possibly) outdated AI modification, here it is:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=603109334

1 up this:

Any chance autocombat could be disabled by default if the leader of the group is a player? It would basically solve all the issues where squad mates would turn into combat mode and slowing down.

Any chance we can get an EnableAI "Convoy" or something to help AI drive vehicles better without jinking off road at random intervals?

Can i with this AUTOCOMBAT fix situation when i kill member of squad on the one end of the map and rest knows about it even if they are on the second end?

Or maybe it will be fixed at last?

Regards

I've created an AI test mission to investigate how well scripted AI can move around, into and out of buildings in Arma 3. AI are unable to move their destination about 10% of the time.
The results are sadly pretty disappointing, considering it's been so many years since OFP and there really hasn't been much progress. 

The mission is "AI_VS_Buildings_R1.Altis" posted on the feedback tracker.

• Like 1

I agree, but imo it should to be an option that can be toggled. AutoDanger is not all that bad as long as it does not force itself on you. Since Oukej mentioned an optimization of DangerMode in general, I'm curious what the future may bring.

• Like 2

Can i with this AUTOCOMBAT fix situation when i kill member of squad on the one end of the map and rest knows about it even if they are on the second end?

Or maybe it will be fixed at last?

Regards

It makes sense to me that when the AI didn't see the death it will still learn about it after some delay. People in squad do communicate and should recognize when one of them goes silent.

It makes sense to me that when the AI didn't see the death it will still learn about it after some delay. People in squad do communicate and should recognize when one of them goes silent.

Of course, the team leader will request a sitrep from time to time, and if one squad mate doesn't answer he will presume that something happened. At least that's how I find out if all my squad member are still alive.

btw Oukej, you liked mad_cheese's post, so I assume we will get something along the lines of what I mentioned earlier?

Also how about a prolific toning down of  the 'recently-hit-tank-crew-jumping-out-oneshotting-player-with-way-too-much-swag' -problem.

Surely something similar to the Suppression penalty can be applied to them

• Like 3

While I agree, it also happens when units have no radio, which makes cross-island communication relatively problematic ;)

• Like 2

Also how about a prolific toning down of  the 'recently-hit-tank-crew-jumping-out-oneshotting-player-with-way-too-much-swag' -problem.

Surely something similar to the Suppression penalty can be applied to them

They should usually have quite a high suppression when jumping out right after taking hits. (suppression should be calculated also for crew even though it doesn't have any effect inside the vehicle (except of FFV positions))

While I agree, it also happens when units have no radio, which makes cross-island communication relatively problematic ;)

AI doesn't care about radio items. They always have a radio and the mission designers shouldn't remove it from them ;) Sorry about that. Handling no-radio comms would be a huge task (+ solving backwards compatibility). If you need it in your mission you can simply ungroup units that don't have a radio and are far away from the leader.