Give us also a command to prevent AI vehicle drivers from off-road path-finding. I want civilian cars to stay on road at all times, not to attempt shortcut through farmers field with armored fences and low stone tank barriers :)

When the increased movement speed tweak hits main branch I'll post a vid here of them assaulting a compound defended by 30+ players.

Give us also a command to prevent AI vehicle drivers from off-road path-finding. I want civilian cars to stay on road at all times, not to attempt shortcut through farmers field with armored fences and low stone tank barriers :)

When the increased movement speed tweak hits main branch I'll post a vid here of them assaulting a compound defended by 30+ players.

Temponrary solution (used since 7 years :D ):

Create waypoint and in behavior use "safe" or "careless"

on speed you can set "limited"

MOST IMPORTANT - fomration - column.

That should do the trick.

Yes, in combat mode, AI is moving from cover to cover, and seek for enemy, in aware mode, they just follow you and observing horizon but not so deep as in combat. Other behavior details you can watch on Tutorial in virtual reality in main menu.

I think you misunderstand me. I mean is the previous behavior affect the current behavior? Eg. current is COMBAT the previous was SAFE. Is the current COMBAT mode different as if the previous behavior were AWARE?

Basically are there any difference in COMBAT mode depending on what was the previous behavior? Or the COMBAT mode is COMBAT mode, no matter what. How copy? :D

Edit:

In reality if you are in the SAFE mode and somebody attack you, you will change to COMBAT mode. But there is some transition(e.g. 30s) between two states. But if you in AWARE(expecting contact) that transition is faster. What i'm trying to say that the behavior change is not instant. I bet in arma the change is instant and the previous behavior mode has no effect on the current one. That's why sometimes strange things happens in the game. 

Eg. You see enemy at 500m and they are in SAFE mode. If you start shooting at them, they will change to COMBAT mode and they search for you and attack you. This is not what you expect in real world. In real word the enemy find cover first and seek the attacker later.

Ah, no there is no delays, diferences. It little far from reality beacuse its a game in the end.

This is a new problem Ive never seen before -that being enemy AI targeting thru straight up walls as there is no chance of seeing thru those tiny windows with that trajectory. There are no mods being run here.

The 2nd problem is a longstanding one - that being the inability of AI to fight an enemy who is indoors. There is a secondary problem you can see when I switch to CSAT and actually enter the 2nd floor where the Blufor is holed up -he refuses to engage me at all until I walk directly into his anterior cone despite him turning his head at me. The real problem is the Opfor behavour after learning of the Blufor -he is the only known enemy in the area and not only do they fail to shoot a grenade up there, or breach - they actually start to seemingly lose interest setting their orientation to arbitrary directions. This looks and plays out absolutely awful. I love this game since inception but this really needs to be addressed yet we see no mention of it or plans to address it.

Obviously its very doable to send men up there and should be done. The men who just seem to take random spots and aimlessly aim is a bigger problem -all attention should be on one whole up sniper if he is the only known target. It seems they fan out in case of other enemies but looks dumb after some time -why not start a timer after first contact and if zero other bogeys appear, ALL attention and orientation is given to that one lethal threat.

• Like 2

This is a new problem Ive never seen before -that being enemy AI targeting thru straight up walls as there is no chance of seeing thru those tiny windows with that trajectory. There are no mods being run here.

lol, I remember finding that bug like a year ago. AFIAK it only happens with the south wall of the Kalvala hospital

Also, with that second video, that kind of AI behavior from the blufor guy only happens after you've played as that unit but switch to another one.

Switching unit seems to broke many bvehaviors, but thats the other topic.... As is super-natural we all know, there is something that was reported year ago and is still ignored - AI see through broken vegetation. Dont know how this is possible but they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAiis5chnCY

I wish to highlight some tickets that I post, there still valid and I think important. 

http://feedback.arma...w.php?id=25869 
http://feedback.arma...ew.php?id=25830

Both concern AI Commanding, and according to me became more and more crucial with the improvement of the game.

So please look at it.

PS: they're not bug, they're feature request destined to make the command of a AI squad doable and intuitive.

disableAI/enableAI sound great! Does this mean that we now can snap AI out of combat mode as well to order them to retreat?

/KC

From the sound of it (and wiki description), yes. Somewhat low-key announcement of such a fundamental change, though  :) Also, in the Wiki there is an FSM  option which only mentions OFP - I would expect it to work in Arma 3 too ?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableAI

From the sound of it (and wiki description), yes. Somewhat low-key announcement of such a fundamental change, though :) Also, in the Wiki there is an FSM option which only mentions OFP - I would expect it to work in Arma 3 too ?

Would be huge disappointment if that was the case - but I trust it is not. That's classic BI , huge long awaited feature/bug removal posted on line 73 of some daily change log.

Glorious nevertheless

Thats correct, I misread. Would that mean that FSM management is available for Arma 3 as well ?

Thats correct, I misread. Would that mean that FSM management is available for Arma 3 as well ?

Most AI routines are in native code, so, no we cannot really do our own AI FSM. 

From the sound of it, we still need a way to get force them out of combat mode...

From the sound of it, we still need a way to get force them out of combat mode...

I'm not sure if I tested this right but the AI do seem so snap out of combat mode with it... :huh:

They just get up and start running if you order them to move. They might still fire a couple of shots occasionally if there's an enemy right in front of them, but mostly they just run.

Coupled with disableAI "cover" and "autotarget" got pretty good results sending my squad thru tanking fire and not stopping to engage. One guy everytime seems to stray off and kinda go wherever he wanted -sometimes towards the tank. Still there is potential here.

And yes Seba1976, I am hoping it officially makes its way into both player commands as well as AI led squads -aka retreats.

disableAI/enableAI sound great! Does this mean that we now can snap AI out of combat mode as well to order them to retreat?

/KC

Oh my retreat/ignore everything just follow and run the hell out order would be freaking awesome!

From the sound of it (and wiki description), yes. Somewhat low-key announcement of such a fundamental change, though  :) Also, in the Wiki there is an FSM  option which only mentions OFP - I would expect it to work in Arma 3 too ?

Yes, the FSM option has always been available in Arma 3.

Most AI routines are in native code, so, no we cannot really do our own AI FSM. 

Oh, yes, you can. The Formation (behavior - aka bounding overwatch and cover routines) FSM that is currently in vanilla used uses native functions. But you can simply replace the whole Formation FSM with a scripted one :) Danger FSM is scripted even in vanilla.

• Like 1

Tweaked: AIs in helicopters should be able to land (e.g. unload cargo) even under fire

Added: disableAI / enableAI "AUTOCOMBAT"

dhMeAzK.gif

This is the best thing ever.

disabled AUTOCOMBAT works GREAT!! Units can get 'stuck' when in contact - something I guess we never got to see before, but that can be helped with "disengage" and "no target".

Really... thank you so much!!

Added: disableAI / enableAI "AUTOCOMBAT"

Disables automatic switching to combat mode, unit will respect behaviour as set by player / waypoint.

Wow, that's quite a tectonic shift. Many thanks for that!

Yes, the FSM option has always been available in Arma 3.

Oh, yes, you can. The Formation (behavior - aka bounding overwatch and cover routines) FSM that is currently in vanilla used uses native functions. But you can simply replace the whole Formation FSM with a scripted one :) Danger FSM is scripted even in vanilla.

Why not write down a short tutorial on how to tweak or at least where to find danger.fsm, so we can experiment a little? :P

Thanks for the reply

I discarded any notions of building an alternative formation FSM due to comments by Suma, regarding the performance impact of replacing native code with scripted code.

As the built-in reaction is not scripted, it is an order of magnitude faster

http://dev.withsix.com/issues/20426#note-9

Are the A3\characters_f\scripts\formation....FSM accurate or is the native formation FSM somewhat different? I had assumed the formation fsms in characters_f were obsolete/unused or only used for civilian AI, and the one used for other AI units is native and thus trying to create an alternative scripted version would be impractical.

If I was to design an AI system, it would be to feed a stack of AI through one fsm instead of one(and 2 during danger?) fsm for each AI unit as it is currently.