@Andersson: Yeah, in OFP they responded greatly to your commands, I just don't remember if they followed the road without any problem.

@froggyluv: I won't buy their expantion pack unless I see serious and huge improvements. I can't play with a team online since I don't have enough time to play with clans or similar, but I like playing the single player mode against the AI...What I found is that often I play with stupid soldiers (sometimes uber-reactive too) that break formation, can't hide, change their weapons in front of the enemy (e.g. AT with tanks) and more. It's frustrating, I hope we'll see serious improvements since Operation Flashpoint was almost a perfect simulator for its times (and excellent still today)...From the first ArmA we've seen more problems, more AI bugs, more AI stupid behaviours. There are improvements, sure, but they look secondary if you analyze (and play with) the AI in general...

I hope they have some plans for the AI otherwise, unluckily, I'll barely buy the expansion and future Arma games (or whatever they'll be called)...

@Andersson: Yeah, in OFP they responded greatly to your commands, I just don't remember if they followed the road without any problem.

Yes if you gave them a waypoint somewhere and they were in safe they followed the road as any AI would do in OFP. If you changed behaviour on the way they went off road or back to the closest most logical road.

The most simple solution to implement would be to allow us to issue CARELESS mode commands, if nothing else would be possible in the short term. I understand that only allowing leader to auto force AWARE mode would not work alone, because they would go back to COMBAT mode instantly. But once in CARELESS, AI don't change to COMBAT, so that could be a short term and very easy workaroud if the devs would be interested.

That's because OFP had balls of steel :D

Anyway, about AI behaviour in combat mode: that is one of those problems that should be solved asap.

Often you want to avoid to take part in a firefight, because you want to flank the enemy, or you want go in another position, you're pushing your enemy (and the field in front of you is completely clear)...Also during firefight, so while in combat mode, you may prefer to move all your team in formation without breaking anything, because you want to be fast and compact...

Making strategies in Arma 3 with AI is often impossible due to their stupidity...:(

^^^ Thats the crux of it. My dream is an ARma that can be thought of as a tactical game in which squad movement and inability to move is what wins firefights. We have 1/2 of suppression, we have flanking but still tethered by the above -what we don't have is the ability to just move a squad in high gear whether that be offensive, defensive or fleeing.

When we get that -it's game on.

• Like 1

Just +1 to the need to fix Combat mode issues ASAP.  Just seems so odd that this wasn't given a priority a year ago now. It is amazing to look back at this very issue being a problem year ago.

RC testing for update 1.50 has started.

• Steam branch access code: Arma3Update150RC
  • Areas of focus (pseudo-changelog):

• Tweaked: AI versus clutter visibility (Altis & Stratis)
    • Tweaked: AI versus tree trunk visibility (Altis & Stratis)

Fucking. Awesome. Great that you guys are delving deeper into this -the perception of fairness vs AI in terms of sight is crucial and will be even more so in the jungles on deck.

Great stuff! Looking forward to test it out...

/KC

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=25099

I've made this post about AI gunnery and commanding gunners, and it has been acknowledged by BI. I wanted to hear what the community thinks about this kind of suggestion and how desired it really is to have. Also to keep the issue in BI's mind, because I am a tank fan and I would love better tank AI

Basically, the Idea is to make the AI tell the player if it has seen and aquired the target, and change how the AI engages targets and selects weapons. Procedure is derived from the commands given in the US Army tank gunnery handbook (FM17-121961 is my version.). I've explained in the above link how I imagine it could work. Maybe there are people out there with actual experience with working the AI and its inner systems, who can make better inputs than I can.

• Like 1

they will tell if they are low on ammo normally. Regardless of if the system is implimented like that it is really necessary that the AI gives negative feedback if, for some reason, it can't execute a firing/engage command (inside a vehicle and when you are not in the same vehicle).

For example if you command artillery to fire at something, sometimes it will just do nothing but not tell you either.

I've noticed that since 1.48 stable, the AI are taking suicidal leaps from the large cargo towers again.

- path planning for divers

Speaking of divers, I've seen that the AI changes are supposed to also fix vision through semi-transparent surfaces. Does that involve Water? Because as it is right now, AI is able to spot divers without problem, making it absolutely impossible to do anything stealthy underwater. Choppers will immediately spot and engage SDV's, and even if you are deep underwater Soldier AI will spot you immediately and try to engage.

• Like 2

How's ballistics under water? I mean in Arma. Low caliber bullets shot from the coast should not be able to hit any targets under water. Is that simulated?

How's ballistics under water? I mean in Arma. Low caliber bullets shot from the coast should not be able to hit any targets under water. Is that simulated?

Yeah bullets won't penetrate water. Rockets might cause blast damage though. But in any case, your cover is blown when you are spotted underwater, and that will happen as if you were floating over land - i.e. there is no concealment at all.

Alwarren I can confirm Helicopters etc can spot SDV's no problem. Makes a stealth insertion a problem

Speaking of divers, I've seen that the AI changes are supposed to also fix vision through semi-transparent surfaces. Does that involve Water? Because as it is right now, AI is able to spot divers without problem, making it absolutely impossible to do anything stealthy underwater. Choppers will immediately spot and engage SDV's, and even if you are deep underwater Soldier AI will spot you immediately and try to engage.

We are aware of the issue. Sorry to disappoint you, but 1.50 contains no improvements in this regard. We consider the ground combat a priority.

The clutter improvements are hot off the pan and have not even yet been deployed to the Development Branch. Try it out!

Is this a typo?

I mean how to try it if it's not yet in the dev branch?

/KC

Is this a typo?

I mean how to try it if it's not yet in the dev branch?

/KC

Change to RC branch. It's absolutely amazing! It's much better now with caterpillars.

Edit: I tested it on the Dev branch and it looks like it's also there.

Will do! Thanks for clarifying...

/KC

We are aware of the issue. Sorry to disappoint you, but 1.50 contains no improvements in this regard. We consider the ground combat a priority.

sounds like reasonable priorities. although i hope underwater isn't something you guys have given up on entirely. just some more rocks and it would already make for a much better battlefield. without cover objects it's just an open plane.

EDIT: removed most stuff. thought i was in the "general discussion" thread.

Thanks oukej, yeah I understand. I hope you will consider this for Taona, since it will have a lot more water and I suppose that the underwater aspect will become much more pronounced on that island.

I think it's a shame that underwater stuff is so neglected. It was a big advertising point for Arma 3, but unfortunately, in its current form, neither underwater combat nor underwater insertions are very feasible due to the AI detection issue. It degrades a cool feature to a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the ground combat improvements, and I know that resources are limited.

(Unrelated to the AI aspect, I also think that a sea-infiltrateable oil rig and/or walkable ship is dearly missing).

Thought I'd seen a tech demo of raycast diffusion somewhere.. Would love to have this for glass windows as well as the way it is now standing in front of a window is like standing plain as day in the open.

Thought I'd seen a tech demo of raycast diffusion somewhere.. Would love to have this for glass windows as well as the way it is now standing in front of a window is like standing plain as day in the open.

oh you mean refraction? i think that is already in the engine as a shader/material type or whatever you call it. you can see it on vehicle exhausts and some fire effects i think. also dayZ has it on its raindrops last time i checked. i'd love to see that subtly applied to glass surfaces. unless you are talking about something else and not just the visual effect.

oh you mean refraction? i think that is already in the engine as a shader/material type or whatever you call it. you can see it on vehicle exhausts and some fire effects i think. also dayZ has it on its raindrops last time i checked. i'd love to see that subtly applied to glass surfaces. unless you are talking about something else and not just the visual effect.

What I meant was the raycast that is drawn for lineofsight checks getting distorted by certain materials ie..Glass, Water etc upon contact. Maybe Im using the wrong term

Fucking. Awesome. Great that you guys are delving deeper into this -the perception of fairness vs AI in terms of sight is crucial and will be even more so in the jungles on deck.

Checked  it out today Froggy and made this Vid...

• Like 1