There should be another parameter which defines the maximum attack range.

Spotting abitlity and camouflage, vs attack range. Both things can be adjusted however you like. Spotting ability is adjusted with skill AI array, camouflage is changed through config files, per unit type, and modified by some gear options like gillie suits, also adjustable through config files. Attack range is changed per weapon (and ammo?) type, also in it's classes definitions, adjustable by patching their config files.

Any new weight given to AT soldiers when armour target is known and present? Yes they sometimes do take the shot but all too often switch to and from rifle to launcher repeat..

Should be already improved when you're for example preparing an ambush and set the rules of engagement to "Hold fire" - as long as the AI is in hold fire it won't switch targets assigned by you (therefore it also won't switch its weapon)

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

@ the range

- You can adjust the engagement range and even how imprecise the AI is at the given range by creating different weapon's fire modes

- AI with lower aiming skills is more imprecise - the imprecision is given as an angle, so the shots will land further away from the target as the distance increases. AI is also slower to take the aim, stabilize it, worse at leading targets or compensating the bullet drop.

Is there a document/wiki explaining how to create different weapon's firing modes? This sounds awesome!

Check

• Arma 3 Tools - samples in \Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\Samples_F\Test_Weapon_01\config.cpp
  • https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgWeapons_Config_Reference - look for minRange, minRangeProbab, midRange, midRangeProbab, maxRange, maxRangeProbab, aiRateOfFire, aiRateOfFireDistance, aiDispersionCoefY, aiDispersionCoefX

What I do wish is for is a way to order the AI to target an enemy unit, while under hold fire, and order him to Engage (or any other future command). I would expect that the AI would then move towards the enemy until he can see and use his weapon against that particular unit, and stop, confirming with "ready to fire". With the lack of such a possibility, the player-commander must manually order the AI to move to a specific position to target the enemy, and that's a bit grueling.

This should work exactly the way you described. (and would happen automatically in the WHITE combat mode) I've only noticed sometimes the AI can't acquire an aim good enough to say "Ready to fire". Seem like the AI overestimates itself and picks a location from which firing is possible but extremely difficult.

I tested that a bit yesterday and I'm glad to say that it worked! I had an AI AT gunner that targeted by my command an Ifrit that was partially concealed by a container. I ordered the AI to "Engage" while he was on hold fire. He moved right to open the angle and announced "ready to fire" once he had a lock. Nice!

Hi Oukej,

This mainly relates to objects placed on the roads - they are not correctly detected. We have a fix for it ready, but it's been delayed by adjustments in road data binarization. Some other improvements are still WIP (I know I mentioned them some time ago already)

Does this mean we might see an option to allow vehicles to stay on roads during combat in the future? (tanks in particular). Also, thanks so much for taking the time to stay so active on the forums! :D We do notice you posting on the weekends!

Hi Oukej,

Does this mean we might see an option to allow vehicles to stay on roads during combat in the future? (tanks in particular). Also, thanks so much for taking the time to stay so active on the forums! :D We do notice you posting on the weekends!

I don't know if they will do this as a script command, but if they don't or you don't mind changing a config (ie mod requirement for your mission), then you can make a new class that prefers roads and use them for those bits in your scenario.

class O_MBT_02_cannon_F;
class tag_onRoadTank : O_MBT_02_cannon_F {
prefersRoads = 1;
};

It's a workaround as there's no way to script it, but if you're putting mods in your campaign anyway then it's an easy way to do it.

EDIT: This doesn't make them stick to roads like glue, but they will stay on them as much as possible.

It'd be amazing if there was some way to toggle object detection for AIs driving, making them follow the roads at all times. Toggleable by a script command or a small section on the waypoint editor and have object detection enabled by default so it doesn't affect any existing missions. Future missions however, especially those with convoys would benefit greatly from that and I don't think there'd be any harm done if it's an optional (extra) thing.

On a convoy mission I'd rather have AI vehicles stick on the roads, driving in a convoy formation and make the path very determinant/scripted (e.g. since AIs wouldn't detect roadblocks, make AI turn left/right by waypoints) rather than AI that stop, turn around, go offroad, crash into a wall, et cetera, while trying to avoid the roadblock xD

edit: For certain missions a feature like that would really help :D Or even for those who might want to do a cinematic movie and are limited to working with AIs (and that can be a pain sometimes).

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I don't know if they will do this as a script command, but if they don't or you don't mind changing a config (ie mod requirement for your mission), then you can make a new class that prefers roads and use them for those bits in your scenario.

PHP Code:

class O_MBT_02_cannon_F;

class tag_onRoadTank : O_MBT_02_cannon_F {

prefersRoads = 1;

};

It's a workaround as there's no way to script it, but if you're putting mods in your campaign anyway then it's an easy way to do it.

EDIT: This doesn't make them stick to roads like glue, but they will stay on them as much as possible.

That's a great idea! Thanks, Das! I'll give it a go! :D

AI goes prone extremely often when it goes into combat mode. The worst part is how they just go prone and stay that way inside buildings, it looks reaaaally silly most of the time (a la http://i.imgur.com/JdbavqI.jpg ).

I know there's these commands:

unit setUnitPos "UP"
unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE"

2 questions:

1) How do I actually link this command to AI units? Specifically - i use DAC Zones (logic) that spawn AI inside the zones... Can I just link another logic to the zone logic? Or just add this command into the zone's own module settings?

2) Can I make AI toggle between UP and MIDDLE position randomly at some preset interval? It makes sense for AI to stand and/or crouch every once in a while when they're inside buildings.

The AI tosses smoke grenades even if you are currently remote-controlling the unit.

AI goes prone extremely often when it goes into combat mode. The worst part is how they just go prone and stay that way inside buildings, it looks reaaaally silly most of the time (a la http://i.imgur.com/JdbavqI.jpg ).

not denying what you said about AI looking silly at times. let's just say it can happen ;) but what i see on that picture looks more like a problem with the reload gesture. is that by any chance an addon weapon? did you try with all vanlla weapons?

without trying to go into too much detail. what you see there, to me, looks like the AI using the upright reload gesture instead of the prone one. notice how the spine has an angle as if he was standing up (due to the gesture mask including spine bones).

and the absence of the left hand on the weapon makes me almost 100% sure that he is reloading in that picture.

don't get me wrong. the gesture system is flawed as is but this looks very extreme thus me assuming it's a modded weapon that might miss proper reload gestures for each stance. i've never configged those myself but having worked with the gesture system i'm almost certain that several gestures for each main stance (stand, crouch, prone) for one weapon are required to get something atleast decent looking due to arma using upper body masking instead of a dynamic IK based solution.

That screenshot was taken from Google but we all know and love when AI goes prone and aims at your face while inside buildings. AI really lacks proper behavior inside buildings... I'm guessing AI doesn't even realize it is inside buildings?

That screenshot was taken from Google but we all know and love when AI goes prone and aims at your face while inside buildings.

ah ok. misunderstanding then. because that's not what's happening in that picture. totally get what you mean though.

AI really lacks proper behavior inside buildings... I'm guessing AI doesn't even realize it is inside buildings?

1. yes, and that won't change any time soon. requires a serious overhaul.

2. yea, nothing indicates otherwise. and even if there is a check for indoors happening somewhere, it's pretty clear that AI don't utilise that knowledge.

The AI tosses smoke grenades even if you are currently remote-controlling the unit.

Thanks for reporting, fixed. Tomorrow's dev branch should have the fix

So Played the night mission that Arma 3 comes with,and used standard ai no mods. I swear the Ai can see really far with those flashlights I could be on the other ridge and soon as I stand up I'm immediately engaged by several ai. Now I know what your thinking I was on top of the ridge no ,I was not silhouetting myself...I was on the side of the hill looking across to see where I should go next and the safest path to take. By the way it is very dark out to the point wear I was running into rocks I didn't see lol so unless the Ai have super flashlights that shine very far then I don't understand what the issue is.

So Played the night mission that Arma 3 comes with,and used standard ai no mods. I swear the Ai can see really far with those flashlights I could be on the other ridge and soon as I stand up I'm immediately engaged by several ai. Now I know what your thinking I was on top of the ridge no ,I was not silhouetting myself...I was on the side of the hill looking across to see where I should go next and the safest path to take. By the way it is very dark out to the point wear I was running into rocks I didn't see lol so unless the Ai have super flashlights that shine very far then I don't understand what the issue is.

You think it's air that you're breathing? :)

What?

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

You think it's air that you're breathing? :)

What?

The Matrix was released in 1999, kids today don't even know what it is. :(

I agree, vanilla AI's senses need some tweaking...

What?

Like BullHorn said, it was a "Matrix" reference, nevermind. I was saying you were proyecting too much reality to something that is not real. When you're in line of sight of an AI unit, a rather simple calculation is performed, that includes some reference values, and many multipliers that increase or decrease the final result. If that result is above a threshold, you're spotted, if not, you're not. Another rather similar calculation takes places, to determine if the unit will engage you, or not. All those values involved can and must be adjusted be BIS developers and modders alike. Silhouetting is not taken into consideration, for example, and neither are flashlights on the spotter units.

Should be already improved when you're for example preparing an ambush and set the rules of engagement to "Hold fire" - as long as the AI is in hold fire it won't switch targets assigned by you (therefore it also won't switch its weapon)

Seems they hold the launcher in place better rather than the old switcheroo but there is still a problem with them not taking the shot especially if the armor is close. For some reason, the AI will prefer to take off, sometimes running hundreds of meters to find a new spot when they already had a clear shot at 50m - especially noticeable in towns.

Playing thru campaign with the Beta and nice job with the smoke grenades. First tim e playing without AI mod and they are surprisingly good -no offence. Didn't always like smoke grenades in alot of the mods because they came too much and too often turning every battle into a Hollywood B grade Action Movie, but so far they are using it in a believable and effectual manner.

Keep turning up that AI knob until fish jump out of rivers and wolves paint picasso!

Can we pleeeease get the AI action menu sorted already? It must be a very easy fix, just push all the "take xxx" to appear after all of the other commands. Right now you need to browse through multiple "take xxx" pages to get to the more useful commands.

Edited by Variable

Can we pleeeease get the AI action menu sorted already? It must be a very easy fix, just push all the "take xxx" to appear after all of the other commands. Right now you need to browse through multiple "take xxx" pages to get to the more frequent commands.

Bahahah got me killed. Ended up saying take a bullet for me coz I'm dead now thanks to this.

gonna start the campaign again when next patch hits boo yah. I feel it's gonna be a good patch don't you make a fool outta me bis.