As far as the engagement range of weapons goes, the AI should be aware of their weapon's maximum engagement range (i.e. around 600m for most standard service rifles) however, the chance that they would engage at this range should be very low, probably less than 10%. Most engagements happen at 300m or less, with only autoriflemen, MG teams, and marksman/sniper teams being well enough equipped to engage outside of that. That being said, engagements on standard infantry squads between 300-600 meters should result in a return fire action, while the squad leader orders most of the men to retreat and flank. The only ones that would be left firing ideally would be the autoriflemen who would be providing suppressing fire.

I think you're mostly missing the point.

In reality, an M4 is 'effective' to 500m without scopes, but in reality nobody is going to sit there and shoot potshots at each other from 500m away.

Issue with AI is its reaction. Too often I see the AI do their crouch-prone-stand dance in the middle of an open field or just lay prone in the open.

AI's code should be modified to prioritize moving away from point of engagement. It doesn't even matter if it's moving to the right direction or not, it should MOVE. In its current state, fighting AI is similar to fighting target practice dummies.

Any feedback and opinions about engagement ranges, success rates, differentiation with FoV (optics), etc. are of course welcome!

Should the engagement range depend on weapon attachement used, mainly the scope zoom? AI with iron sights should tend go for CQB for example.

And this is downright disastrous! They should engage at 800m with no hesitation, nor matter their sights. It should just be an area target with abysmal accuracy.

Did you guys ever notice how EVERY single A2 AI mod, without fail, increased AI engagement ranges dramatically. Hell, it was usually in the first few lines on the feature list.

i am sorry but, no. just no.

it's pointless to engage at that range

also, i would like to ask if vanilla ai can still engage choppers or jets and kill the pilot in 1-shot?

Should the engagement range depend on weapon attachement used, mainly the scope zoom?

Currently it does.

also, i would like to ask if vanilla ai can still engage choppers or jets and kill the pilot in 1-shot?

It's still possible, especially when the aircraft is flying towards the unit. Nevertheless a moving target increases the AI's aiming error quite significantly so it shouldn't be a common sight. But in general it's not a good idea to get too close to the enemy with a vulnerable aircraft.

• Added: Detection of bullets flying close to unit

Yay! (Engine) Suppression is coming!

epic news. marksman mod seems to really be prioritising some long longed for things. So can we access the detection of close bullets as well for other purposes?

Edited by twisted

Don't expect it tomorrow though "longer-term AI development" :bounce3:

I think you're mostly missing the point.

In reality, an M4 is 'effective' to 500m without scopes, but in reality nobody is going to sit there and shoot potshots at each other from 500m away.

Issue with AI is its reaction. Too often I see the AI do their crouch-prone-stand dance in the middle of an open field or just lay prone in the open.

AI's code should be modified to prioritize moving away from point of engagement. It doesn't even matter if it's moving to the right direction or not, it should MOVE. In its current state, fighting AI is similar to fighting target practice dummies.

Good point.

So can we access the detection of close bullets as well for other purposes?

Except of FSM? Most probably not rly, there won't be an universal (any unit) eventhandler for it.

> Added: Detection of bullets flying close to unit

please note, it is not yet configured

Also anything that is possible, will be skipped (friendly units, vehicles, non-local units, etc...)

Great news about upcoming flyby bullet detection for AI!

Since you are in the middle of Marksman development I wonder if we will see any changes/improvements to AI's ability to spot/detect you in concealment?

I know you know this already but staying hidden is a critical thing for marksmen/snipers and the ghillie suit have no/little effect on the AI at close/mid ranges. It works much better in A2:OA where you actually can stay hidden (if not moving) in tall grass even if AI walking by very very close.

/KC

Added: Detection of bullets flying close to unit

Hopefully it really is for suppression and not just basic AI reaction. Being able to actively suppress AI would drastically change the way this game is played.

Hopefully it really is for suppression and not just basic AI reaction. Being able to actively suppress AI would drastically change the way this game is played.

And then AI dynamically popping up from behind obstacles...I keep dreaming :-)

And then AI dynamically popping up from behind obstacles...I keep dreaming :-)

A simple change would come in handy here: make the AI go prone when under fire, even when they've been given de order to change their position to crouch. It's been useless since OFP because of that. If you tell them to crouch, they will die before disobeying you. You see, they do obbey you when they want to. :)

A simple change would come in handy here: make the AI go prone when under fire, even when they've been given de order to change their position to crouch. It's been useless since OFP because of that. If you tell them to crouch, they will die before disobeying you. You see, they do obbey you when they want to. :)

That would not be sufficient unfortunately. You would have AI going prone in situations when it is better to run fast (bCombat AI mod has this problem). You would also have AI going prone when they just should lean back behind a corner.

That would not be sufficient unfortunately. You would have AI going prone in situations when it is better to run fast (bCombat AI mod has this problem). You would also have AI going prone when they just should lean back behind a corner.

Let me rephrase that: Allow AI to auto change to lower profile stances, when a player commander have ordered them to crouch. In other words: An order to crouch, should not prevent the AI unit to go prone to avoid being killed, it should only change their default stance to crouch.

Let me rephrase that: Allow AI to auto change to lower profile stances, when a player commander have ordered them to crouch. In other words: An order to crouch, should not prevent the AI unit to go prone to avoid being killed, it should only change their default stance to crouch.

I see. I agree with what you want but it is a separate thing that would not solve what I mean.

DATA
  • Added: New danger cause (dcbulletClose) to danger.fsm

ENGINE

• Added: Detection of bullets flying close to unit

Wow. was not expecting this at all. But now its really got me excited for marksman. I am interested how/if you devs plan on further utilizing this. I won't get my hopes up, but this could be the start of something I have been wishing/harping on for ages - so long I had simply given up on it.

Can't wait. I am sure there are alot of coop players with similar feelings

What surprised was that such a feature WASN'T in the game up until this point. :|

At least in Arma 2 there was a very basic suppression functionality, albeit based on nearby hits rather than rounds passing nearby. Never understood why it was removed. Hopefully that effect will be brought back to complement the new detection.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

suppression is a staple tactic that really would be a smart addition to the game. hope thats what this bullet passing detection is for.

Wow. was not expecting this at all. But now its really got me excited for marksman. I am interested how/if you devs plan on further utilizing this. I won't get my hopes up, but this could be the start of something I have been wishing/harping on for ages - so long I had simply given up on it.

Can't wait. I am sure there are alot of coop players with similar feelings

Exactly how I feel about this. Arma cannot be considered an infantry sim without being able to suppress the enemy, because suppression is the basis for most if not all infantry tactics. If done properly, this will be the highlight of the marksman DLC for SP and Coop. Coulum, in the meantime, we use TPWCAS to suppress the AI.

At least in Arma 2 there was a very basic suppression functionality, albeit based on nearby hits rather than rounds passing nearby. Never understood why it was removed. Hopefully that effect will be brought back to complement the new detection.

A dev once said this is a configuration overlook, however, it was not fixed since.

DATA

Added: New danger cause (dcbulletClose) to danger.fsm

ENGINE

Added: Detection of bullets flying close to unit

When does this trigger??? tried it by shooting at some enemies in the distance (~300m) but they still don't recognize me or the bullets (e.g. by changing behaviour)... they only return fire when one of their group is hit