In addition, a welcome change would be not showing actions that include objects which are too far away. You wouldn't want to open a door or pick up something that's a couple kilometers from you.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if there is a filter for say 300 meters or w/e. I don't think I ever send one of my man back a kilometer on purpose to get something. This usually ends in me not seeing that man ever again anyway unless I spend the next minutes waiting with 4x fast forward time.

Yes, but sometimes you need to send one of your units few kilometres away to pickup something, or do something else.

This has never happened to me.

In addition to the obvious prioritization that needs to be done in the AI action menu, the following three features would be a blessed addition (ordered by priority)

1. Add range to all the "Take" items (in the same manner that there's a bearing indication to the AI's "Target" menu), and sort the take command from the closest item to the farthest.

2. Range limitation - Include only items that are closer than, say, 300 meters. That will keep the list reasonably long and will be more realistic.

3. Add to the "Rearm" command the location of the rearming point and its range. For example, "Rearm at ammo crate (70m)".

Edited by Variable

In addition to the obvious prioritization that needs to be done in the AI action menu, the following three features would be a blessed addition (ordered by priority)

1. Add range to all the "Take" items (in the same manner that there's a bearing indication to the AI's "Target" menu), and sort the take command from the closest item to the farthest.

2. Range limitation - Include only items that are closer than, say, 300 meters. That will keep the list reasonably long and will be more realistic.

3. Add to the "Rearm" command the location of the rearming point and its range. For example, "Rearm at ammo crate (70m)".

I agree with this.

Also can the option to rearm at enemy vehicles that are still occupied by enemies be removed too.

This has never happened to me.

It strongly depends on a scale of a mission you play. Cipher, for example, made me do it in a guerilla-warfare style.

Cipher, for example, made me do it in a guerilla-warfare style.

If there is any mission outthere that requires the player to order his units to rearm, it's creator is a sadist.

Haha, agreed. Whenever one of my men yells "out of ammo" I am like nooooooooo. I can't remember when I've managed it to successfully resupply a soldier in a reasonable short time.

Haha, agreed. Whenever one of my men yells "out of ammo" I am like nooooooooo. I can't remember when I've managed it to successfully resupply a soldier in a reasonable short time.

I tried that once, in OFP. Never again, even with all the progress BIS did in that area. Wait, no :).

I tried that once, in OFP. Never again, even with all the progress BIS did in that area. Wait, no :).

True, and with just a few tweaks to the UI it shouldn't be such a hassle.

True, and with just a few tweaks to the UI it shouldn't be such a hassle.

Like telling your teammate AI to go to 'nearest soldier' and once he gets there, the normal inventory UI could pop up. Could also have conditionals like suppressing that UI if you are in a firefight etc.

Why can't there be a context sensitive option in the command menu (or whatever it's called)? Just like how you order someone to get in a vehiche, you could just select a soldier, point, and click "Inventory" or "rearm" on ammo crates, vehicles etc. Maybe replacing the "suppressive fire" command. :rolleyes:

0zk7aln.jpg

I wouldn't even mind stuffing the nades and mags in his pockets myself, as long as I can get him to the right container and open up the inventory screen. I mean, look at him; the guy's so dumb he's trying to figure out which end of his gun is the dangerous one.

Edited by Greenfist

I'm liking this idea, Greenfist, but somehow I can't help but believe that the difficulties within BI probably have to do with determining context for a combined arms group, i.e. if you have a group with both mounted and dismounted members, or both ground and air vehicles, or cars vs. armor...

I mean, look at him; the guy's so dumb he's trying to figure out which end of his gun is the dangerous one.

Haha. They know how to shoot you in the head though :).

I'm liking this idea, Greenfist, but somehow I can't help but believe that the difficulties within BI probably have to do with determining context for a combined arms group, i.e. if you have a group with both mounted and dismounted members, or both ground and air vehicles, or cars vs. armor...

It's simple conditions really: a single unit selected && not in a vehicle && the target object has an inventory action attached.

I think the bigger problem is to get the soldier within the action's range to activate it. Currently the inventory command sometimes seems to make the unit move near the container, but it stops too far from it to reach the contents. (i.e. inventory without the crate)

Edited by Greenfist

I don't get why there even is a "rearm" command. It is just too micro-management like. The AI should know how to rearm themselves if they know there is an ammo cache nearby. Maybe ask the lowliest rifleman to fetch some ammo. Also, don't the default squads have ammo carrier guys that have a backpack full of ammo? Rearming should just happen automatically without you telling AI to do it.

I don't get why there even is a "rearm" command. It is just too micro-management like. The AI should know how to rearm themselves if they know there is an ammo cache nearby. Maybe ask the lowliest rifleman to fetch some ammo. Also, don't the default squads have ammo carrier guys that have a backpack full of ammo? Rearming should just happen automatically without you telling AI to do it.

That might be a nice behaviour on Safe or something, but I definitely don't need AI wandering off in combat any more than they already do.

That might be a nice behaviour on Safe or something, but I definitely don't need AI wandering off in combat any more than they already do.

They should be able to sense if they're being shot at. If they're not being shot at, they should try to rearm while staying in cover (or by diving from cover to cover). That is better than AI staying still and getting shot at.

Maybe there should be some kind of order to tell them that you're holding/defending an area, when they could move to rearm by themselves. If in formation and moving, only rearm when moving really close to a rearming place.

Why can't there be a context sensitive option in the command menu (or whatever it's called)? Just like how you order someone to get in a vehiche, you could just select a soldier, point, and click "Inventory" or "rearm" on ammo crates, vehicles etc.

Sadly the implementation would be more difficult than it seems :(

Oh, that's too bad. Thanks for the reply though.

How about the issue when ordering AI to Inventory at a container, but he stops too far from it?

Edited by Greenfist

How about the issue when ordering AI to Inventory at a container, but he stops too far from it?

Maybe that's also difficult to fix, just tell them something really easy and they may be able to slip it into their tight agenda :).

Can't the distance and name of possible (and logical) ammo sites be listed such as: Nato Basic -10m, Dead Soldier -30m....etc

Rather than: Katiba; Katiba; Katiba.... any of which could be 500m away.

Hello,

I have just recently created a ticket about AI turret gunners' unreal behaviour and precision. I consider this to be a major flaw of the game since the OFP. It has considerable impact on the gameplay.

The link is in my signature:

0022531: AI vehicle crew gunners are too quick/too good at aiming

I have a question, for developers if possible.

When playing the Mission in Episode 2 where you have to steal the fuel truck, I have noticed that the enemy is completely non-reactive to shooting and taking casualties aside from individual squads reacting.

Basically, I wonder if there is any plan/intent to give the enemy the ability to react to casualties globally. Usually if even a single patrol takes casualties or gets shot at, the reaction is usually pretty big. I noticed that they sent a single strider to investigate, but after I shot that, nobody else ever came around. At this point, halfway through the mission, I have destroyed every tank and truck inside the town itself, and probably killed every footsoldier.

It makes the mission easier for sure, but it's a major break in the suspension of disbelief if the reaction by the enemy is so weak.

So, will the AI be able to communicate between squads and support each other in the future in some kind of upper-echelon "All Units of this set belong to the same super-unit (A company, for example) and will share information and send help to each other" unit formation?

If that ever happened, it would be best as some kind of reinforcement module rather than as default behaviour. It would break alot of existing scenarios and you'd have to script around it when you didn't want it to happen, which would be frequently.

I have a question, for developers if possible.

When playing the Mission in Episode 2 where you have to steal the fuel truck, I have noticed that the enemy is completely non-reactive to shooting and taking casualties aside from individual squads reacting.

Basically, I wonder if there is any plan/intent to give the enemy the ability to react to casualties globally. Usually if even a single patrol takes casualties or gets shot at, the reaction is usually pretty big. I noticed that they sent a single strider to investigate, but after I shot that, nobody else ever came around. At this point, halfway through the mission, I have destroyed every tank and truck inside the town itself, and probably killed every footsoldier.

It makes the mission easier for sure, but it's a major break in the suspension of disbelief if the reaction by the enemy is so weak.

So, will the AI be able to communicate between squads and support each other in the future in some kind of upper-echelon "All Units of this set belong to the same super-unit (A company, for example) and will share information and send help to each other" unit formation?

ASR AI does that very well, you can configure the range in which squads will react to enemies spotted by other AI and move to reinforce. I don't think this will be a good idea as a vanilla feature though for the reasons 2nd Ranger illustrated.