It's the airport terminal.

Duped how? BIS never said it was Ai and at the time it would have been foolish to think it was. It just so happens that the AI can move like that in that particular building.

EDIT: actually it's pretty certain that it's a human player in the screenshot, because he's doing a step-lean, not a normal lean. The AI can lean out from those pillars though.

Using buildings reasonably well is not new. In A3 here they (AI) can use them a little better if you mod them (add a little Gl4 or even 3), its just that its restricted compared to A2 buildings use.

We have a underground complex i.e. tunnels/rooms etc (underground/over-ground, so as to speak) for A2, built on the 52km desert pmc map. The AI use whatever is put inside for cover, for instance barrels, boxes etc, provided its recognised on the outside they will use it. They move through the tunnels well, will open doors (or walk through them, don’t mind that), and check rooms as they go along.

I have lots of vids showing building use, plus these screenshot albums:

, and
. OA buildings seemed the best, but they also use some buildings from previous instalments plus of course they use many community made buildings/structures.

Really though, AI will mainly use door and window positions, in a war zone where little remains of furniture, as we usually have in this game, that’s really all they need to use. As said, they already do this reasonably well when modded. I don’t think stock AI will ever use buildings as well as modded (mixed modded).

Certainly they will not use a building the same way as a game that’s designed to do that, just won’t ever happen. This series is too broad in its coverage of warfare, not a spec ops only type game, but what they do, they do reasonably realistic, so its not too bad.

Its not the building use, you have to have them intelligent first, which seems harder for stock AI, once they have that you stand more of a chance of them using different items in a realistic manner.

:)

Edit: oh, asc_eu_lights are good for effects within buildings/tunnels etc, the floor ones, can't remember what they're called.

Edited by ChrisB

why do AI (when spawned on top of buildings) just walk over the edge like they have nothing to live for?

it would be good if they found a way down to the ground level rather than being daredevils and dying

why do AI (when spawned on top of buildings) just walk over the edge like they have nothing to live for?

it would be good if they found a way down to the ground level rather than being daredevils and dying

AI will go through a building making they’re way to the roof via stairs or ladder, then return down the same way. Certainly modded they do.

However, if they are spawned directly onto a roof, it can for some reason cause problems, as you say walk straight off, more so for stock AI, some modded AI realise they are not at ground level it seems and will use a ladder or stairway to get down. Rarely use re-spawn so not sure regards that.

Answer: never place one on a roof, have them make their way there (modded A2 really, may happen later for A3).

Its not the building use, you have to have them intelligent first, which seems harder for stock AI, once they have that you stand more of a chance of them using different items in a realistic manner.

It is the building you use, because most buildings only allow the AI to move along set paths. What I'm saying is that the ground floor of the airport terminal building allows the AI to move around, fight, and take cover freely, as if they were not even in a building. Obviously it's something to do with the way the building is made, and probably only because it's a large building. The hospital lobby is the same.

yeah really wanted to make a mission where the blufor were to clear the hospital working there way up the stairs killing the enemy and head to the roof to rescue civilians but guess that would be more tricky now.

I was going to use FIA but now they are best friends (BLUFOR + FIA)

yeah really wanted to make a mission where the blufor were to clear the hospital working there way up the stairs killing the enemy and head to the roof to rescue civilians but guess that would be more tricky now.

I was going to use FIA but now they are best friends (BLUFOR + FIA)

maybe u try reading the changlog the right way: they are as independend in code but not accsessible through editor any more. editor just uses blufor fia.

"FIA faction was moved to the BLUFOR side. The other sides still have variants present in config (protected mode). Therefore, the original classes for FIA on Independent side remain in the game (but not visible in editor)."

It is the building you use, because most buildings only allow the AI to move along set paths. What I'm saying is that the ground floor of the airport terminal building allows the AI to move around, fight, and take cover freely, as if they were not even in a building. Obviously it's something to do with the way the building is made, and probably only because it's a large building. The hospital lobby is the same.

Understood, but that's not what I meant when I said "its not using the building" we know they have paths to follow, that's not the problem, its once they're inside, being sensible enough to use whatever is in there in a realistic and right way, that's where the intelligence is needed..

Modded AI will always do far more than stock AI, always have, for some reason gives them freedom, not sure why, just does, especially if you mix around some mods. Going into a building and standing or crouch at a window or doorway (facing the right way) is common for modded AI in A2, using a building (larger type) and putting objects they use from the outside, inside, then they use them better, cover etc not great, but passable.

Edited by ChrisB

One of the problems with AIs in buildings is that their position often doesn't provide them with enough FOV even in aware combat mode. They are often placed in a way that AIs have only limited FOV from the building or no FOV at all.

maybe u try reading the changlog the right way: they are as independend in code but not accsessible through editor any more. editor just uses blufor fia.

"FIA faction was moved to the BLUFOR side. The other sides still have variants present in config (protected mode). Therefore, the original classes for FIA on Independent side remain in the game (but not visible in editor)."

so what was the point in that stupid move?

why not just keep them where they are? seriously that was effin pointless.

Because clearly, FIA is going to be allied with NATO in the campaign, while AAF may potentially be aligned with CSAT. It's not a "stupid move" from the standpoint of the people making the campaign. Also, for people complaining that it "ruins mission possibilities" - it's no more inconvenient than before if someone wanted to make a mission with AAF vs FIA.

That said, the ideal solution would be to make them available in the editor for every faction. But it's not the end of the world. God forbid you might have to group some units to a leader from a different side or - GASP - learn how to spawn units.

While I won't ever call it "stupid" (because I simply don't know the reason) I might be inclined to agree it was an odd move. Given that you can affect whether they're hostile to each other or not in script/editor.

I don't know why even complain. Want rebels on opfor side? Take CSAT soldiers, give them new Uniforms, headgear, helmets and weapons and you're set. Rebels on greenfor? Take AAF and give them civvie clothes.

Hurr durr FIA is now blufor is wasted time to complain about, we have actual issues to contend with. Like the attachments, tons of units without hidden selections, broken physics for heavy vehicles, badly working tank guns and armor, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know why even complain. Want rebels on opfor side? Take CSAT soldiers, give them new Uniforms, headgear, helmets and weapons and you're set. Rebels on greenfor? Take AAF and give them civvie clothes.

Hurr durr FIA is now blufor is wasted time to complain about, we have actual issues to contend with. Like the attachments, tons of units without hidden selections, broken physics for heavy vehicles, badly working tank guns and armor, etc, etc, etc.

that would be a script and a half.... unless they implemented that inventory editor IN the editor if that makes sense

You can always use the good old rather easy way if you want to change group's/unit's side.

Just add an highest ranking independent or opfor soldier in the group, so he is the leader, and put his probability of presence to zero.

When the game starts, the original group leader takes over, but the side is the one that the non-existing leader had.

or maybe use setFriend.

If only there were a "setFriend" command for factions instead of just sides, everything would be fine.

If only there were a "setFriend" command for factions instead of just sides, everything would be fine.

Yeah true, would be nice...

for example... this setfriend "opfor" etc etc

I would love that if it worked... could change anyone!

and if you wanted to make them friends with 2 sides it would be?

this setfriend "opfor"; this setfriend "guerrilla"???

or maybe use setFriend.

That doesn't help (I guess) if you want to make some WEST groups fight against other WEST groups, for example.

A command to change the side of all units from a given faction would also do the trick. Something like:

"IND_G_F" setFactionAllegiance east

What happened to the set side module that was in the alpha? It seemed to work fine when i used it.

I agree I loved that module

What happened to the set side module that was in the alpha? It seemed to work fine when i used it.

There were multiple issues in various situations. The workaround is to group (F2) your unit with a unit of desired side and set its probability of presence to 0%.