Hi again. Today's changes in AI:

Prone rotation speed was improved. Yes, it was kind too slow, now it's two times faster. Feel free to comment on the change.

High skilled soldiers had a problems with hitting targets on medium ranges (100-300 metres). They should be more accurate now, for example 1.0 skilled soldier on Elite difficulty should be deadly accurate.

While overall accuracy for highly skilled AI units seems better, it's still badly affected by the PRONE stance.

PRONE AI units, whatever the skill, keep shooting alot INTO ground ( REGULAR, VETERAN settings).

AI is still not keeping their heads down when enemy armor is around and end being massacred in few seconds. They should freeze completely and stay prone and then seek cover crawling and not running around like mad chickens...

And why are AT gunners unable to fire from prone position again? In combination with AI's inability to take AT weapons from fallen mates this behaviour really sucks.

I also think that tank spotting skills should be toned down. Too precise in my opinion although I underestand that with thermal vision it is really easy to track an infantry.

---------------

And guys, please vote for this AI bug. Thanks.

0013952: An AI unit refuses to engage a distant target when ordered to or runs far away

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13952

Edited by Bouben

Ai get stuck too often for some reason (infantry, vehicle), break the mission.

If you are unable to fix the bugs, give us the option to respawn this AI on the map for example not realistic but what else ?

If you are unable to fix the bugs, give us the option to respawn this AI on the map for example not realistic but what else ?

Don't worry, stuff like that will surely be solved.

Don't worry, stuff like that will surely be solved.

LOL, you make my day!

Count this as a promise.

LOL, you make my day!

Count this as a promise.

Well, I am usually not that optimistic, but game-breaking bugs tend to be solved with priority. This is not a matter of improvement but a fix.

I mean, without this fixed their SP campaign would be very problematic.

Yeah I was doing a mission which involved an amphibious assault, and some of the marshall tend to get stuck in the beach just before go out ( due to some invisible barrier ), but only sometimes. I had to expend two hours changin positions, until I found the ones that almost never make them get stuck.

i find that, much like snipers, AT units would benefit from some special AI routines to make them more effective. they should act more independantly from the squad or something. me and some buddies were totally raping a whole town with an AA tank because the AT units where kind of slow to react. yes we were driving around like mad men but there were situations where we shouldv been dead/disabled. i'd even be fine with giving the AI some faster AT anims than the player to make them more deadly. like pulling out the launcher and getting it ready. although that might look weird.

besides the method, they need an "initiative"/"determination" buff much like choppers when it comes to infantry. i want to peak over hill tops with my turret in fear of rockets. and i want to hide from helis' gatling guns being afraid to move in the open.

in general i have now (without any mods at all) the most realistic fire fights i ever had in any game. the AI is finally equally dangerous in CQB to long range. please keep it up. the AI is slowly becoming the number one advancement compared to arma 2 (and all the older games for that matter). yes the rest is great too but COOP feels fresh and not liek a reskin anymore.

i find that, much like snipers, AT units would benefit from some special AI routines to make them more effective. they should act more independantly from the squad or something. me and some buddies were totally raping a whole town with an AA tank because the AT units where kind of slow to react. yes we were driving around like mad men but there were situations where we shouldv been dead/disabled. i'd even be fine with giving the AI some faster AT anims than the player to make them more deadly. like pulling out the launcher and getting it ready. although that might look weird.

besides the method, they need an "initiative"/"determination" buff much like choppers when it comes to infantry. i want to peak over hill tops with my turret in fear of rockets. and i want to hide from helis' gatling guns being afraid to move in the open.

in general i have now (without any mods at all) the most realistic fire fights i ever had in any game. the AI is finally equally dangerous in CQB to long range. please keep it up. the AI is slowly becoming the number one advancement compared to arma 2 (and all the older games for that matter). yes the rest is great too but COOP feels fresh and not liek a reskin anymore.

I agree hundred percent over that. AI is much better so whatever we will say now is a nitpick. But do make AT soldiers more dangerous and maybe attack heli pilots too?

Driving AI are back to arma 2 levels of dumb on Altis after the recent road change. An offroad going around an easy bend in a dirt road has it stopping and starting and randomly veering left and right and sometimes just deciding it wants to do a sharp turn into the nearest power pole. It is very, very frustrating.

whatever we will say now is a nitpick

not so fast!:p they still don't go into buildings when needed. we don't need them to use windows like humans but they should at least try to clear buildings, if they suspect an enemy (especially a player) in there.

EDIT: oh yea and driving of course. still happy with the improvements but we're not done here ;)

bad benson, just ignore him, he's the kind of person who thinks as long as he's satisfied no one else's suggestions are valid anymore. we didn't have this thread go 89 pages because he ai is perfect.

not so fast!:p they still don't go into buildings when needed. we don't need them to use windows like humans but they should at least try to clear buildings, if they suspect an enemy (especially a player) in there.

EDIT: oh yea and driving of course. still happy with the improvements but we're not done here ;)

True. Just my way of acknowledging progress though.

Also AI driving skills are really in a bad shape. They don't detect they are stuck?

bad benson, just ignore him, he's the kind of person who thinks as long as he's satisfied no one else's suggestions are valid anymore. we didn't have this thread go 89 pages because he ai is perfect.

Wot? o.O

they still don't go into buildings when needed. we don't need them to use windows like humans but they should at least try to clear buildings

Yeah, if only the AI could use every building like the ground floor of the airport terminal building. They can move around freely, take cover, fight properly in there. I'd have to check but I think this was the building in that pre-alpha screenshot released ages ago depicting a unit leaning around a corner inside. A few people were getting excited, thinking it meant that AI could do it in every building.

I'd have to check but I think this was the building in that pre-alpha screenshot released ages ago depicting a unit leaning around a corner inside. A few people were getting excited, thinking it meant that AI could do it in every building.

Yeah I remember that tease of a shot -but I can't find it anywhere!! They never stated it was AI but they never shot down our assumption which makes them guilty by default of encouraging our wishfulness ;)

Still, I thought I remember some really cool interior, colored lighting in that shot like a vending machine or something -maybe it was chemlights... It looked really laser-lit up and glossy but the Airport terminal seems pretty run down -I wonder if that is the same spot

Yeah I remember that tease of a shot -but I can't find it anywhere!! They never stated it was AI but they never shot down our assumption which makes them guilty by default of encouraging our wishfulness ;)

Still, I thought I remember some really cool interior, colored lighting in that shot like a vending machine or something -maybe it was chemlights... It looked really laser-lit up and glossy but the Airport terminal seems pretty run down -I wonder if that is the same spot

That was one of the first things I checked, unfortunately, Altis contains no vending machines. :( I think it might have been the hospital building in that screen shot though.

On the last days AI was manuvering through houses and even chasing me effectively inside them! I would dare to say that they're way better in MOUT\CQB than on open fields now.

I think that might have been fire lighting up the room. Also I think the screenshot might be on armaholic somewhere maybe going to look.

Edit it was fire and chemlights. I think this is the one post#5 May 30thhttp://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=15281

I think the picture was bad here's the web page instead.

Edited by clifdenhill

Ahh yeah - it's a fiery explosion outside with the moonlight both beaming off the shiny tiled floor. Funny how memory plays tricks like that....Im still not sure what building has those floors :confused:

It's the airport terminal.

Were we duped?

Duped how? BIS never said it was Ai and at the time it would have been foolish to think it was. It just so happens that the AI can move like that in that particular building.

EDIT: actually it's pretty certain that it's a human player in the screenshot, because he's doing a step-lean, not a normal lean. The AI can lean out from those pillars though.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

It's the airport terminal.

Yep indeed. I just lit the place up at night with a bunch of flaming wrecks and boy does that floor look sexy! AI does do a good job of leaning and seemingly using the interior corners better as well. Boy if we could just have an island full of these.

pfft. who are you again? please don't disturb while we're having a friendly chat here. go make some supreme mods or something. :rolleyes:

True. Just my way of acknowledging progress though.

i know. loving the new AI myself.

Edited by Bad Benson