Miggel - I've not observed the AI reacting to thrown grenades (it would be great if they did) I once thought they had but it was as they'd actually saw me as I stood up to throw the frag. Would be good if RiE etc... could let us know if/how AI reacts to thrown grenades.

In fact any info on how AI decides to throw frags, smoke (if it does) would be interesting.

thanks

Edited by petek

And another problem, at least in the context of that video, is that they're evaluating or prioritizing cover incorrectly in that situation. The AI comes around the corner and sees the player, yet continues to head for the sandbags 20m away, instead of just going back around the corner which is what any sane person would do (other than engaging).
A post or so of his down, he basically says just this. :p At least it's clear where the fault is, and there's a proposed solution (add a decision-making bit based on distance to target) so that's a good sign.

On the subject of fleeing and running away there is an issue where units controlled by waypoints can't run in either safe or careless they walk slowly even when set to fullspeed.

This of course makes it hard work getting units from A to B in a reasonable time.

Edited by F2k Sel

On the subject of fleeing and running away there is an issue where units controlled by waypoints can't run in either safe or careless they walk slowly even when set to fullspeed.

This of course makes it hard work getting units from A to B in a reasonable time.

By design not a bug. Set them to AWARE, FULL, FILE for the desired effect.

Strange design as they run when not on a waypoint but when given a move . They also run when not in a group.

It does make it hard to get a group out of an area when under attack.

Edited by F2k Sel

Strange design as they run when not on a waypoint but when given a move and they also run in A2. They also run when not in a group.

It does make it hard to get a group out of an area when under attack.

When they are under attack, they switch to combat mode and are too busy finding cover/engaging.

I don't want them in combat mode I want them to run away.

They Do run in A2 but in an odd manner they walk to formation and then sprint a few meters and then walk sprint and walk. It looks really cheesy and last time I checked it was the same in A3.

I don't know why they just don't obey the waypoints If I want them to walk I could use limited I don't see why the option is removed.

I would like to see a way to prevent the AI for dismounting the vehicle, like something you could add to the init like: PreventDismount true; because there are scenarios were I want them to just keep driving even if a unit driving in front of them or behind them gets taken out.

This could help - allowCrewInImmobile

Or you can even lock them in ;)

The AI now leaves the vehicle when canMove returns false. Under what conditions a vehicle returns canMove=false is set by the vehicle configuration.

(Of course it would be lovely if AI's decision was based on some complex evaluation of the situation ;) :D ("Aight, our tires are flat...now what? What weaponry do we have, how much ammunition, are there threats around to destroy/avoid/get cover from, do we need to go somewhere?" ...etc... limitless variables))

This could help - allowCrewInImmobile

Or you can even lock them in ;)

The AI now leaves the vehicle when canMove returns false. Under what conditions a vehicle returns canMove=false is set by the vehicle configuration.

(Of course it would be lovely if AI's decision was based on some complex evaluation of the situation ;) :D ("Aight, our tires are flat...now what? What weaponry do we have, how much ammunition, are there threats around to destroy/avoid/get cover from, do we need to go somewhere?" ...etc... limitless variables))

Thanks! Never found that when I had that issue in Arma 2.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Edited by ProGamer

will there be a "breach" command? for example when pressing and holding alt the command menu changes...

maybe it could be in there? so the AI would go through all the house positions clearing the building... then exiting

also i do not think the "watch direction" works. i have had many times ive told the AI to watch a specific direction and they are facing like different direction.

[EDIT] this would work beautifully if/when the rotation issue is fixed like RIE was explaining

Edited by tyl3r99
addition to post

Man, I just can't get any decent scenarios out of this AI, everything's always over so fast. Whereas I can quite easily get a good 20 minute fire-fight going with the AI in ArmA 2, anything lasting over a couple of minutes in ArmA 3 just results in everyone in my and the enemy's squads being dead almost to a man. It's so detrimental to the whole experience.

Here's a short video (consequently the only videos you can get with an ArmA 2 AI fire-fight will be short) that I made with 3 Fire Teams of Opfor and 2 rifle squads of Blufor [blufor outnumber Opfor in this scenario]. It just highlights the fact that the tempo to most battles is just wrong. The build-up is far too slow, and the battle itself is over within seconds due the AI's unnerving amount of accuracy, and It all just feels a bit lack lustre.

By far for me, the AI is the most broken thing in this game right now, it just feels dated and out of place in this great package that we've been given and is something... well, the only thing, that is making me [kind of] regret buying into the ArmA 3 Alpha/Beta since I'm predominantly a single player kind of guy.

Edited by Sbua16

if anything the AI seem to just F*%K around for the first 2 mins

anyway back to topic, make sure SUPER AI is OFF

the best difficulty is on veteren and make the enemy difficulty around 0.70-0.75 and friendly around 0.80 - 0.85

it looks like you have your difficulty too high. resulting in short firefights because your team get completely raped

Man, I just can't get any decent scenarios out of this AI, everything's always over so fast. Whereas I can quite easily get a good 20 minute fire-fight going with the AI in ArmA 2, anything lasting over a couple of minutes in ArmA 3 just results in everyone in my and the enemy's squads being dead almost to a man. It's so detrimental to the whole experience.

Here's a short video (consequently the only videos you can get with an ArmA 2 AI fire-fight will be short) that I made with 3 Fire Teams of Opfor and 2 rifle squads of Blufor. It just highlights the fact that the tempo to most battles is just wrong. The build-up is far too slow, and the battle itself is over within seconds due the AI's unnerving amount of accuracy, and It all just feels a bit lack lustre.

By far for me, the AI is the most broken thing in this game right now, it just feels dated and out of place in this great package that we've been given and is something... well, the only thing, that is making me [kind of] regret buying into the ArmA 3 Alpha/Beta since I'm predominantly a single player kind of guy.

Edited by tyl3r99

Sbua16, I agree, firefights are over too quick, accuracy should be decreased to get longer lasting firefights.

Sbua16, I agree, firefights are over too quick, accuracy should be decreased to get longer lasting firefights.

Agree'd. AI are waaaay too accurate even when set to lower skill levels. If you set their skill level too low however they become completely idiotic and almost stop moving or reacting to threats. I think more control over AI skill settings needs to be given rather than just 1 generic slider that controls everything.

Agree'd. AI are waaaay too accurate even when set to lower skill levels.

Not really.

Keep the annotations on, sorry if there is any grammar flows.

In another run, that i didn't recorded, while i was chasing the last member of a AI group, he tried to find cover inside the building.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/613899348114894400/0DDF962DF5C6904F4C9B7F7B3519A20D85D4AB22/

Just a couple of thing, you didn't put any waypoint on the AI group, this usually makes things even worse, also changing the difficulty while preview in progress may have no effect, though not sure about the last one.

Agree'd. AI are waaaay too accurate even when set to lower skill levels. If you set their skill level too low however they become completely idiotic and almost stop moving or reacting to threats. I think more control over AI skill settings needs to be given rather than just 1 generic slider that controls everything.

There needs to be an accuracy slider in the editor, and the default accuracy should be lowered. AI should also have more "miss" rate.

danilch, gameplay looks good to me in that video, but most times it doesn't play out like that. Usually ai are quicker (too quick) to hit in my experience.

I agree the AI accuracy is way to high. A slider as mentioned before and lower accuracy will be great.

I don't think that this would be a good idea. It would result in player groups extremely dominating over the AI.

Introduce AI supression and firefights will become longer.

Arma 3 AI shooting and response to fire should be set back to Operation Flashpoint Resistance Settings until they can improve. I went back to playing Operation Flashpoint and it is so much fun and challenging

I don't think that this would be a good idea. It would result in player groups extremely dominating over the AI.

Introduce AI supression and firefights will become longer.

It depends, if they could get a good suppression system going, something like RO2 and the updated Rising Storm where your aim starts shaking and you can't zoom etc..., then having the AI be able to lay down good suppression fire would be extremely effective yet still let firefights play out longer and rely more on flanking and tactics. I'm talking from the perspective of AI firing at the player and the player being suppressed.

I do agree though that AI should be suppressable, I'm not suggesting that their aim be lessened to the point they can't hit anything. I find though that they have the uncanny ability to hit you while you're barely peaking out of cover from 200m away within the first shot or two. Of course that depends a lot on the generic skill setting in the difficulty options.

please always when you post videos of AI fails, include the repro mission download with it (and upload these repro missions to Feedback tracker) , thanks