Never observed either of those. Sure you´re not running mods?

No mods, I couldn't replicate the AI launcher and snipers will switch to pistols, maybe other classes too, or maybe they ran out of ammo which is possible.

Not sure since they were other changes today, and you can't run in circles anymore they will shoot you.

Shooting at moving targets at range in reality is a very difficult skill to develop - even well-trained shooters have difficulty with it. I hope that this has been kept in mind with these changes, and that we aren't going from a world in which AI are often pinpoint precise on static targets, to one in which AI are pinpoint precise on both static and moving targets at close and long ranges.

Agreed. AI are already insanely over-accurate, I hope this doesn't make them even "worse".

Agreed. AI are already insanely over-accurate, I hope this doesn't make them even "worse".

I read a post a week ago by a developer that found using a certain method to spawn AI would result in them receiving the default skill value of 1, 1 being the max skill level possible.

Perhaps your experience with laser accurate AI is related to this?

:) First we need AI able to hit.

After that decreasing that ability according to skill and weapon is just design decision.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

ok, so some other changes in AI that were made, but may not be listed in change log (as it takes changes in data, configs, engine, requires a lot of balancing and it is hard to select one single commit that is marked as public or done before public alpha)

- new types of obstacles for pathfinding that only some types of units can get over (only soldiers, only soldiers or tanks, only boats)

- improved pre-processing of terrain for pathplanning

- path planning for divers

- AI not wasting rockets on infantry

- AI not using pistol, when it should not (in some stage of releasing)

- flashlights help you to detect enemy, but also reveals you

- AI is properly using weapon optics to find enemy

- AI is using TI in optics to find enemy

- improved how night changes the chance to spot enemy

- fixed taht AI was using binoculars on close distance

- silencers decreasing audibility

- AI mines detection and avoidance

- AI using hand grenades more

- AI able to use grenade launchers

- blackhawk gunners are more capable while searching for new targets (done in OA and merged)

- helicopters pilots prefer not to crash to threes and hills

- small improvements of helicopter attack pattern

- boats able to navigate around piers

- fixed some cases of AI stuck in fleeing

- improved AI ability to to send medic

- AI using first aid kit

- AI will not shoot you through bushes, if he did not see you before (fixed in OA and merged)

- AI prefer crouch stance while engaging (to be released)

- decreased visibility of shooting, so AI does not find you instantly after killing one of them (and also now each shoot close to enemy will decrease error of guessed position) (to be released)

- AI can drive physx vehicles

- loiter waypoint

- AI will also assign secondary turrets

- AI will not disembark to change position in vehicle (if possible)

- AI will not take your commanding role in vehicle

- grass is decreasing chance to spot enemy (in some stage of releasing)

- improved how particles are decreasing chance to spot enemy

- AI visibility in new fog

- fixed: AI not able to open doors in some buildings

- new system for AI roads creation

- improved AI commanding - selection of cover point on position whrere you are sending soldier to

- improved weapon selection (based on time needed to lock missile or turn vehicle) (done in TKOH and merged)

These are not the all the changes, just those I could remember at home at this late hour.

Also note, many features need a lot of parameters properly configured and it takes time to balance them.

Nice list, but if you had started with fixing the slow turning issue complaints would have been a lot less. :p

- AI using first aid kit

Could you explain this a bit more? What is changed?

Could you explain this a bit more? What is changed?

It is as easy as you see it - AI weren't able to use first aid kits before (because A2/OA didn't have them obviously), but they now are. Not to mention ability to use all the SCUBA equipment and such newly added stuff - these needed to be implemented for AI :icon_twisted:

It is as easy as you see it - AI weren't able to use first aid kits before (because A2/OA didn't have them obviously), but they now are. Not to mention ability to use all the SCUBA equipment and such newly added stuff - these needed to be implemented for AI :icon_twisted:

I've seen lots of AI use FAKs :confused:

Or have I just been dreaming? (of a better Arma :rolleyes: )

Edited by runekn

Nice list, but if you had started with fixing the slow turning issue complaints would have been a lot less. :p

It was addressed before you started compalins in ''Bohemia, have you bothered at all with the AI in the last 3 months?'' :)

That is quite an impressive list and the stuff that has still be be released looks promising. There a a few more things I would like to see though: Ai Divers using cover during a fight and better vehicle pathfinding (especially in columns)

- decreased visibility of shooting, so AI does not find you instantly after killing one of them (and also now each shoot close to enemy will decrease error of guessed position) (to be released)

I will slot you into my list of favorite Czechs, just under Havel.

AI wont use the co pilots seat when the pilot is dead, just saying, it can get somewhat annoying

keep the AI fixes rolling in :) i can see more smiley faces now this is happening yay!

Dr.Hladik are you the dev thats now concentrating on the AI :P

Edited by tyl3r99

- AI will not shoot you through bushes, if he did not see you before (fixed in OA and merged)

finally! that's what i'm talking about. don't improve before you fixed what is there. i'm still skeptical until i see this in action and working well but that is the kind of thing the AI needs. factors that makes it feel like they have real perception and not some hidden over simplified mechanics that ignore the world they operate in.

same goes for their shooting behavior. what you mentioned sounds interesting and promising. let's hope everything works as intended and you can make them feel more like they are operating weapons the same way that human players are.

finally! that's what i'm talking about. don't improve before you fixed what is there. i'm still skeptical until i see this in action and working well
I think that that's the point... go try and break it! :p

Finally Bohemia is taking the right direction in solving the AI issues. Dr. You mentioned AI using grenades, how about Them considering grenades as a threat and taking appropriate cover when grenades are thrown at them?

how about Them considering grenades as a threat and taking appropriate cover when grenades are thrown at them?

i think they shouldn't even try to look for cover since that will probably take too long. a simple straight run away from the grenade and maybe also away from the direction the enemy is in would be most effective i think. grenades explode pretty fast after all:D just trying to see this more in the context of the current AI. they a bit slow with decisions in general so a simple approach might work better. just a thought. proper cover would be great too, if it actually works well :p

What are the default values for AI skill and precision for every dificulty setting? <= Those need to be tweaked to generate a good experience for newcomers that are unaware of those settings. Read: Make the game "feel fair" yet unforgiven; Nobody likes to be sniped by a twitch AI that saw you throught a 3cm hole;

These, especially the latter, are big and would be huge improvements to the ai imo. If done right I think it could actually fix many issues (ie. usefulness of silencers, ai accuracy, ai apparent "xray vision" etc.) I really hope you guys are able to nail these ones. Good luck.

First we need AI able to hit.

After that decreasing that ability according to skill and weapon is just design decision.

I agree. Right now not only is the ai's ability to hit too poor, but they also miss in an unrealistic way. A human will land shots ahead, sometimes behind, low and high of the target and sometimes will get a hit. An ai sends the shots a bit behind and high every single time except for occasinally the first shot or when you slow down. Its far to reliable and imo its just as bad as robotic "insta heashots" people dislike so much.

I am interested as to whether this thread was started because we whined so much and bis wanted to bring to peoples attention the changes that have been made or if the game's other features have become stable enough it is now possible to teach the ai how to properly interact with them. Maybe a mix of both?

@Instagoat, nice report, Hopefully I'll find sometime to give it a good read.

AI prefer crouch stance while engaging (to be released)

decreased visibility of shooting, so AI does not find you instantly after killing one of them (and also now each shoot close to enemy will decrease error of guessed position) (to be released)

Oh yes.

loiter waypoint

Would've been great if it worked for infantry too though... Kinda made them play various idle animations and wander within some boundaries (~30m) from that waypoint. DISMISS waypoint just makes them wander off kilometers away.

I am interested as to whether this thread was started because we whined so much and bis wanted to bring to peoples attention the changes that have been made or if the game's other features have become stable enough it is now possible to teach the ai how to properly interact with them. Maybe a mix of both?
Jay Crowe talked about that a bit.

The thing that really stood out in the latest build is that the AI still fires from the standing position, but can't seem to hit me from about 100 yards away. I was startled by two guys on the night showcase who emptied almost two clips before I shot them, not one bullet hit me.

I have modified my accuracy settings manually for veteran difficulty to about 35% (as previously the AI was a little nuts). Should we perhaps go back to the standard accuracy with the changes?

Playing the SP showcases does seem much better now, keep moving in the right direction :)

This thread is a huge boost for the mood in this forum! Keep going!

Here is an idea... Actually get things done... We are two years late as it is... Plenty of time to get this done. Shows terrible business management.

arma doesn't have a pop up enemy AI system such as (moh, bf, cod exc.), programming AI to move on a free open world, moving like real persons and without to kill your CPU load requires a lot of time and great skill at the same time, and in arma 3 actually i can say the AI rocks, and Bohemia is trying to make it even much more better, do you really call this terrible business management, considering they (BI) do not have publishers (thanks to god) and they are a small team working on arma 3 compared to major (ugly) titles ?

Fixed: AI turn limitation while aiming = this is very great for a beta.

AI shouldn't take unguided missiles as guided = that's great.

FIX: AI ballistic calculation fixed = AI that shoots like a human

FIX: AI now can shoot over animals = nomore considered friendly, so you won't cheat hiding behind sheeps

and your post dude is totally offtopic

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

:) First we need AI able to hit.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

ok, so some other changes in AI that were made, but may not be listed in change log (as it takes changes in data, configs, engine, requires a lot of balancing and it is hard to select one single commit that is marked as public or done before public alpha)

- new types of obstacles for pathfinding that only some types of units can get over (only soldiers, only soldiers or tanks, only boats)

- improved pre-processing of terrain for pathplanning

- path planning for divers

- AI not wasting rockets on infantry

- AI not using pistol, when it should not (in some stage of releasing)

- flashlights help you to detect enemy, but also reveals you

- AI is properly using weapon optics to find enemy

- AI is using TI in optics to find enemy

- improved how night changes the chance to spot enemy

- fixed taht AI was using binoculars on close distance

- silencers decreasing audibility

- AI mines detection and avoidance

- AI using hand grenades more

- AI able to use grenade launchers

- blackhawk gunners are more capable while searching for new targets (done in OA and merged)

- helicopters pilots prefer not to crash to threes and hills

- small improvements of helicopter attack pattern

- boats able to navigate around piers

- fixed some cases of AI stuck in fleeing

- improved AI ability to to send medic

- AI using first aid kit

- AI can drive physx vehicles

- loiter waypoint

- AI will also assign secondary turrets

- AI will not disembark to change position in vehicle (if possible)

- AI will not take your commanding role in vehicle

- grass is decreasing chance to spot enemy (in some stage of releasing)

- improved how particles are decreasing chance to spot enemy

- AI visibility in new fog

- fixed: AI not able to open doors in some buildings

- new system for AI roads creation

- improved AI commanding - selection of cover point on position whrere you are sending soldier to

- improved weapon selection (based on time needed to lock missile or turn vehicle) (done in TKOH and merged)

These are not the all the changes, just those I could remember at home at this late hour.

Also note, many features need a lot of parameters properly configured and it takes time to balance them.

I'm falling in love with arma 3 <3