Sign in to follow this  
D_wolf

Arma 3 Editor needs an upgrade

Arma 3 Editor clearly needs an upgrade in UI and tools. Real-time 3D should be the main editor by default and tools should be more intuitive.

Also I don't understand why the editor doesn't have real-time terrain modifying and texturing tools and why we have to go through several procedures to place AI/Player into the map (Create Center > Group > Unit). This is a waste of time, Units should already have these propreties when placed in the map, like an object database. And the entity propreties should be easily and individualy be modified without having to use scripting. Why can't this be done by simple check boxes (ie: choose faction, equipment, awareness...)

propreties82u8l.jpg

Using shift and alt keys to rotate and move the objects isn't very responsive and accurate. A decent axis system should be implemented (Select, Move, Rotate, Scale tools). Also align to terrain and grid tools.

axisckurx.jpg

A flowgraph editor should also be added because it makes AI and mission setup easier. A person that is new to arma editor should easily use the nodes because it's logical.

I do level design for more than 6 years using Cryengine and every time I open Arma editor I feel disgusted. If BI wants to use steam workshop for players to share their maps I think the tools should be intuitive. Placing a simple object ingame just feels painful. Does BI work like this? I'm pretty sure their tools are more advanced.

Features needed:

Intuitive UI

Axis System

Entities Database and Propreties

Particle Effets Database

Material Editor

Flowgraph Editor

Area Triggers, Proximitry Triggers, Hazard Area (Actual shapeable areas)

Render and Environment Modifiers

Am I being too picky? Leave your thoughts

Arma 3 Editor clearly needs an upgrade in UI and tools.

I feel that the editor in ArmA3 is actually slightly better than the rest of the ArmA3 UI. But yes, it's bad overall. I feel that many games created by amateurs have a better UI (those amateurs that use un-themed default UI elements arranged in a weird overall layout).

My guess it's because of the (absence?) of the UI framework BI uses. Maybe BI could and should stick something better on top of the game so it look & feels nicer and so that windows and fancy scrolling iconified colored tree/list dialogs in a fold-up window like nice editors have can be properly supported?

I do level design for more than 6 years using Cryengine [...] Am I being too picky? Leave your thoughts

Well, Cryengine is one of the best as far as its editor features are concerned... and probably also AI & path finding & threading & other stuff CC:GM / ArmA3 seem to have some trouble with. Must be difficult stuff to implement, I imagine.

But I think desiring an editor with many of the features you described isn't too picky, no. Expecting all of Cryengine's editor features might be a bit much, though...

Edited by Radtoo

The in-game editor is a mission editor, not a modding tool. You seem to have mixed the idea of map editing with placing objects on the map to create a mission file.

Edit: And are you specifically criticizing the 3D editor? It's not even officially supported hence has never really been given any thoughts on the user-friendly side of things.

Edited by SandyBandy

Am I being too picky? Leave your thoughts

You're complaining about an unfinished, undeveloped and unsupported hidden feature so yes, you are being too picky. :)

im sure additions to the editor are in progress such as the loadout editor for the units page :)

maybe they will add more im not so sure 100%

but they will have more time and resources after the game has been released and has had a few patches (no doubt about that)

we got to keep pestering them ;) but i can see where you are coming from in the perspective where things can be done without the need of a 200 character script in a init field or description.ext which is annoying.

this also stops new players to arma 3 gaining the full experience of the game.

i guess we will have to be patient, first off the AI needs attention first in my opinion but somewhere down the line this sort of thing maybe/should be looked into.

Bohemia Interactive should consider releasing polished mod tools after they release the final version of Arma 3. They'll have more time to focus on that after solving the current most important problems :)

Bohemia Interactive should consider releasing polished mod tools after they release the final version of Arma 3. They'll have more time to focus on that after solving the current most important problems :)

Final? Arma 2 still receives beta patches ;)

The thing this Editor absolutely needs are:

CTRL+Z to undo something

A Loadout/Inventory Editor

hey D_wolf dear lovely wonderful VBS stile editor, yes this would be the top of the top, i really hoped for it or at least implement 3d editor visual in the existing one, instead of the old 3d editor where you need to create a center exc. , with current editor but with 3d view included it will be awesome and better to make mission placing objects directly in the right place without to preview, exit, tweaking object's position, then preview, exit again, exc. exc.

I don't think we'll ever get to the ease of use that Unreal or CryEngine has, but it would definitely be nice if the mission editor could be used in 3D mode, and had a loadout menu for units.

+1 3D Editor.

Love the options for Check Boxes, Sliders, etc to set things for Units/Groups.

Set Loadouts, Skills, Uniforms, etc. Fingers crossed. Current Editor is good.

Easy to wish to be better. I'm fine with it if stays the same. Good ideas though.

I like the fact I can now read the functions page.

It's nice to have the typeof objects displayed top right but it would be better to be able to copy and paste it, also the same thing should be done for marker types.

The second info page could contain details of the objects it's mostly blank now and not much use or at least an option to take you straight to the object confing entry rather than having to search for it.

And I still hate the tiny scripting boxes that's my main grumble.

Arma editor just needs to be simplified. There should be managers for stuff like Briefing...

The thing this Editor absolutely needs are:

CTRL+Z to undo something

A Loadout/Inventory Editor

Amen to the undo feature!! God knows I need it! LOL

Would also love 'layers' option and color-coded Waypoint paths.

I make huge, full, immersive maps; gets cluttered and starts to

look like a child scribbled all over in black ink after a while. :p

I like the ArmA 3 editor layout because I took so much time figuring it out in ArmA II that I simply don't want to take the time to relearn something.

I don't mind the editor as it is, but would like to have decent representation of the objects (instead of '?' boxes) so you could fit items like the 'shoothouse wall' together without placing them, previewing it, jumping back into the editor to adjust it 2 inches, preview, adjust, preview, adjust, etc... It gets a bit tedious. A nice 3D editor WOULD go a long way towards being able to set an item down without having a tree jutting up through it though.

Even the icons for the two little bird helos are insanely mismatched. They're the same thing except one has weapons for cryin' out loud! Also, they need to have a tool to change the attitude and depth of the objects. I hate placing something on the map only to have it skewed at some weird angle in the game.

an upgrade like this would be cool!!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12322

Problem is the 3D world isn't loaded while you're in the editor and that's a very very good thing. For your preview to work you'd have to constantly have the world loaded, slowing everything down.

but what if it was just a simple photo of the object, unit?

and refreshed every time you moved/rotated it?

surely somehow theres a way?

There are a lot of good and bad things about the editor. Those who defend the 3D editor by saying it's "hidden" or "unsupported" are proving the problem. Why is it? By now, all these years from Arma 1 (and OFP) Bi should have figured out how to make the editor kick ass by now.

How is it that the 3D editor is so primitive that it can't even separate the different types of units. If I open the 3d editor with all my user created addons I would never be able to accomplish anything. Go to place a fireteam. Select unit and double click. I have a list of about 100 units to choose from with no way to recognize which unit it is. There are 7 different "squad leaders". With no category to separate their groups, I have to place all 7 in order to find which one I want. SO I find the squad leader I want; the USMC desert one. He was 5th on the list. So now I want to place an "autorifleman". There are 7 of those. So I place the 5th one down, thinking that makes sense but no. I have to place all 7 down again to figure out which one is the USMC.

Tell me that Bi, with all that they do, can't figure out a way to create a drop down box to fix that. In arma 2 a guy created "RTE". That editor was awesome and extremely basic. BI can't even make something that converts 3d editor to 2d editor. But, all of you who defend bi on this 3d editor thing, Nothing has changed since Arma2. It's not rebuilding an entire game. They already have the 3d editor close to being good. Why not go the little extra mile. I won't get into map creating but they can do a little more there too.

Here's the bottom line; Arma is successful because of the community. I have never seen a game anywhere that has this much user content. Bi gives the platform for us. The thing that some don't realize is that Bi depends on user content. You can see it with the DLC addons. DLC's only have partially amies. So if we want fixed wing aircraft for the BAF, we have to make it. No tank either. So if we want to use BAF in the same way as the US Army, then we have to create.

So my point is that since the community gives most of the physical content, then BI should finally get the 3d editor up to RTE standards. All it does is give you another option to select "Russian" or "takistani" or whoever, so that when you go to place a squad leader down, you know which group he belongs to. You can't tell me that BI can't compete with a guy who created that, relatively simple 3d editor. I don't know if the guy who made RTE will update it for arma3 but I guess we will have to be happy that bi let us have uncompleted editor. 3d editor is a MUST. Now that most buildings are enterable 2d editor won't suffice. AT least IMnotsoHO.

orrr my idea will do lol as that is a hefty essay to read

There are a lot of good and bad things about the editor. Those who defend the 3D editor by saying it's "hidden" or "unsupported" are proving the problem. Why is it? By now, all these years from Arma 1 (and OFP) Bi should have figured out how to make the editor kick ass by now.

How is it that the 3D editor is so primitive that it can't even separate the different types of units. If I open the 3d editor with all my user created addons I would never be able to accomplish anything. Go to place a fireteam. Select unit and double click. I have a list of about 100 units to choose from with no way to recognize which unit it is. There are 7 different "squad leaders". With no category to separate their groups, I have to place all 7 in order to find which one I want. SO I find the squad leader I want; the USMC desert one. He was 5th on the list. So now I want to place an "autorifleman". There are 7 of those. So I place the 5th one down, thinking that makes sense but no. I have to place all 7 down again to figure out which one is the USMC.

Tell me that Bi, with all that they do, can't figure out a way to create a drop down box to fix that. In arma 2 a guy created "RTE". That editor was awesome and extremely basic. BI can't even make something that converts 3d editor to 2d editor. But, all of you who defend bi on this 3d editor thing, Nothing has changed since Arma2. It's not rebuilding an entire game. They already have the 3d editor close to being good. Why not go the little extra mile. I won't get into map creating but they can do a little more there too.

Here's the bottom line; Arma is successful because of the community. I have never seen a game anywhere that has this much user content. Bi gives the platform for us. The thing that some don't realize is that Bi depends on user content. You can see it with the DLC addons. DLC's only have partially amies. So if we want fixed wing aircraft for the BAF, we have to make it. No tank either. So if we want to use BAF in the same way as the US Army, then we have to create.

So my point is that since the community gives most of the physical content, then BI should finally get the 3d editor up to RTE standards. All it does is give you another option to select "Russian" or "takistani" or whoever, so that when you go to place a squad leader down, you know which group he belongs to. You can't tell me that BI can't compete with a guy who created that, relatively simple 3d editor. I don't know if the guy who made RTE will update it for arma3 but I guess we will have to be happy that bi let us have uncompleted editor. 3d editor is a MUST. Now that most buildings are enterable 2d editor won't suffice. AT least IMnotsoHO.