Sign in to follow this  
Jokubas

Bohemia Games Trading Card Promotion Suggestion

Now, I know a lot of you don't like Steam, and I think their new Trading Card system has some obvious flaws, however, it seems to be a very popular way to get your games out there at the moment.

I'd love to see Bohemia Interactive promote the games they own by spending a little bit of time and effort to put together sets for them. Everything from ArmA to Pound of Ground could get a set. Alpha Prime, for example, shouldn't be too hard. Make a card for each of the main characters by capturing an image of their models, then use something like Eriq Chang's box art design for the profile background, and quickly stylize Glomar's Heart or something for an emoticon.

ArmA seems pretty popular now, so I don't know if this would make much of a difference there, but I think this could really help drive sales of Bohemia and their developers' lower profile games.

Thanks for considering. I really hope this doesn't come off as me promoting Steam. I honestly just think it might be a potentially fun way for Bohemia to promote themselves.

I have a ton of these "cards" in my Steam "inventory" and don't know wtf they are for and why I have them. If you need to be "rewarded" a jpeg to play a game then you have issues.

As far as I know, Take On Mars might have Trading Cards after release, but it's not official of course. And other games? I can imagine this would cause a lot of hate from fans. Trading Cards system is very popular at this moment and it's possible that fans owning retail version of any game (Arma 2, Carrier Command, Take On Helicopters...) would be quite annoyed because Steam version has something new, something unavailable for their boxed copy. I know, it's just some virtual stuff, but it's still something. This was seen in case of the Witcher 2 from CD Projekt. Lot of owners of retail/gog.com copy were annoyed because Steam version has achievements and now Trading Cards as well. And I'm sure it would be the same in case of Bohemia Interactive games.

Only game that makes sense is Arma 3 (and DayZ, of course) because every version of the game will need Steam. Badge, emoticon and background for my Steam profile with Arma 3 or DayZ theme is great idea, but I'm not sure that Trading Cards support before release of the full version would be productive. As a huge fan of Trading Cards system, I would be glad for it, but I'm sure it's not necessary before final game

Edited by Cvrnda

I have no clue what to do with these cards, and how they can have any value at all. It seems like some kindergarten trading stuff (like trading marbles at primary school)

Arma is not a kindergarten game

Actually, Cvrnda, Take On Mars is a Steamworks game so "retail box vs. Steam version" is a moot point for all three current BI games, but I agree that "it's not necessary before final game".

Though, I will point out: before final game, I have absolutely no problem with it being added post-release.

I have a ton of these "cards" in my Steam "inventory" and don't know wtf they are for and why I have them. If you need to be "rewarded" a jpeg to play a game then you have issues.

Don't know what it is, instantly bash it.

Funny to see the usual suspects in this thread too.

Protip: through the trading cards, you can get free games. Yeah, 90% of the trading card crap is crap. But free games is free games.

Protip: through the trading cards, you can get free games. Yeah, 90% of the trading card crap is crap. But free games is free games.

Games go for so cheap in the Steam sales the "free games" aspect seems pointless.

Cards are a bit of a daft gimmick but there's no real harm in them.

I did have a go at trading for a couple of sets to see what the 'crafting' thing was all about. The results don't seem too worthwhile to me so I doubt I'll bother collecting them, but I can see why some people would find it fun.

What is good though, was that I sold almost all the cards I got from my purchases and votes during the Steam Summer sale, and earned enough to cover the money I spent a couple of the smaller titles I picked up during Sale (sold a single "foil card" for enough to cover 70-odd percent of what I spent on Hotline Miami alone).

Cards are a bit of a daft gimmick but there's no real harm in them.

I did have a go at trading for a couple of sets to see what the 'crafting' thing was all about. The results don't seem too worthwhile to me so I doubt I'll bother collecting them, but I can see why some people would find it fun.

What is good though, was that I sold almost all the cards I got from my purchases and votes during the Steam Summer sale, and earned enough to cover the money I spent a couple of the smaller titles I picked up during Sale (sold a single "foil card" for enough to cover 70-odd percent of what I spent on Hotline Miami alone).

This. They are a steam related gimmick, but there's literally no harm done. During the sale I managed to collect 5 sets of the summer sale cards from non-spending-money activities, played some awesome games that ended up in my backlog due to time restraints, and funded a few of my purchases by selling 4 foils and a bunch of normal cards due to the fact that with a few sold cards, you can buy a game.

On average, games have at least 5 drops, and I sold them at 20 cents each during the sale, and foils for around 1€. With a couple of foils and a an average days worth of play time, you could afford things like Borderlands 2 and whatnot the next day.

But hey, those damn kids today. We must remain ignorant "mature" hardcore gamers to the bone even despite the fact it does not affect us at all. :j:

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I got to say, Steam doesn't give a good explanation what these cards are for. I too made no sense of these cards until I made a badge, and I actually wouldn't mind if BI makes trading cards for ArmA 3 (or any other game). Of course, that also requires BI makes content to go with the badge(s). Still, not a high priority in my book. It's just a gimmick, as previously mentioned.

So, here it is. You play a game and you gain trading cards by playing it - I think you get about 50% of the actual deck just by playing, and the rest you'll need to get either by trading cards or buying them on the market (See Community -> Market). Where, by the way, you can also sell your cards for Steam credits, which in turn can be used to buy cards (just don't expect a large amount credits). Once you gain all the trading cards in a deck you can make a badge. Along with the badge you might get certain things like backgrounds for you profile, smileys for you chat, coupons you can use on Steam, etc. You also get exp. for every badge and by leveling up you can get some perks like higher friends limit, etc.

It's nothing fancy, but it beats the hell out of unrewarding achievements.

Valve guys really know how to make money, huh?

I'm still waiting for those :D

adyzMTwc acciQvXG

I'm a grumpy bastard, I know :)

i'm collecting them for fun, can you send me them? See my steam profile. What is your steam profile?

The people that hate on it obviously dont know what cards are for, not mentioning it would actually help bohemia get some more money and fans could actually get a background/emotoicon from Arma 3 what is pretty cool.

People that dont want to craft cards could easily earn money by selling them on market, giving that way also money to bohemia.

I am not a fan of the trading cards, but I respect Valve for experimenting and investing time and money into creating these experiments. They are doing good things here, some of the money goes to the devs and the gamers and that is a new and good thing I think.

Please yes. I just sell my cards and see it as getting money to play my favorite games.

I know plenty of people that only buy games for cards. It's insane. And lucrative. Think about it Bohemia.

I basically sell every card I get with the exception of Rome 2 and RO2's. I would like for something like this to happen for ArmA 3, so I can have a profile background of ArmA :)

I don't get why people seem to hate it, it doesn't hurt anyone and like others have pointed out, you can get some change together for a sale to get a game for free. Who can be butthurt about that? In all I almost made 17 euro's by selling TF2 items I had gotten by playing and trading cards. I can't be bothered with the emoticons or the other stuff but the profile backgrounds are pretty cool, even though technically worthless. But since when does that matter? :p

Hello comrades!

I would like to say so:

Today they asked to trading cards, Tomorrow be asked for experience, levels and magic.

Lol, that is far-fetched man. This has nothing to do with gameplay changes AT ALL, so I don't see how you are making that connection?