Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Spintires

Just found a new indie game that is simply amazing. It's an offroad game that is absolutely beautiful and has some amazing physics. They built the engine from the ground up specifically for the game. The game will also support modifications. You can get a tech demo on their website.

Spintires

They also recently held a kickstarter for the game making £60,935 out of £40,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jw0fVTXJaI

apd303.jpg

2elc9ac.jpg

oazpn5.jpg

Edited by Nicholas

The look of it is surely astonishing however... Driving and driving and... Driving on a mud sounds boring

That does look impressive, if they implement some kind of thing like "Euro Truck Simulator" with an economy or haulage/tasks with the visuals and physics that is already has (impressive) it looks really good.

The look of it is surely astonishing however... Driving and driving and... Driving on a mud sounds boring

Have you played it? One can only imagine how cool it'd be if something like this gets implemented in ArmA. Sure, it's future tech (2015+) but it makes driving so much more enjoyable and you actually care which vehicle you drive, which gear you're in, if AWD is on etc. In ArmA you go 130+ km/h on a dirt road and you can't possibly get stuck.

But hey, that's okay, there can't be any mud, if there's no rain :o

Well, they have cargo transport planned. There are also screenshots with trailers attached. Check out the Kickstarter page.

Concept Campaign Mode (subject to change):

The wild off-road adventure begins in Russia, circa 1980-90. You are supplied with a soviet truck and a set of primitive tools for navigation. The task is to collect and deliver logs from deep within the wilderness, ready for shipment abroad.

First, you must load the truck with the logs using the supplied claw crane, then using a map and compass you need navigate to your objectives with the logs secure to complete the objective successfully.

Plot a course and navigate using landmarks whilst trying not to loose your precious cargo, becoming stuck in the mud or depleting all of your fuel reserves. Plans accordingly so that you can pass a fuelling out-post and stop by when required.

If you complete the objective successfully, you will be rewarded with ‘skill points’.

‘Skill points’ are rewarded for the following factors:

Successful delivery of Cargoes (more is better)

Cargo Damage (less is better)

Fuel Usage (less is better)

In addition, ‘Bonus skill points’ are rewarded when:

Secret Crates Discovered (more is better)

Territory Covered (more is better)

‘Skill points’ can be used to purchase truck accessories in the workshop that can assist you in completing the next batch of objectives. These accessories include but not limited to the following:

Extra Lighting

Turbo Charger

Engine Air Filter

Extra Cargo Capacity + Trailers

Horns

Winch

Tire Deflation System

New trucks

Have you played it? One can only imagine how cool it'd be if something like this gets implemented in ArmA. Sure, it's future tech (2015+) but it makes driving so much more enjoyable and you actually care which vehicle you drive, which gear you're in, if AWD is on etc. In ArmA you go 130+ km/h on a dirt road and you can't possibly get stuck.

But hey, that's okay, there can't be any mud, if there's no rain :o

People always say this when a tech demo comes out, but this kind of thing isn't even implemented in any game at all right now, never mind a complex war game with a cpu eating, multilayered AI system for land, sea, and air, etc.

People always say this when a tech demo comes out, but this kind of thing isn't even implemented in any game at all right now, never mind a complex war game with a cpu eating, multilayered AI system for land, sea, and air, etc.

True, but only true now. I can remember when ragdolls were tech demos, and so with this Spintires tech demo I can see that a similar thing will happen - when there's enough spare processing available something like this can be plugged in place. But I guess this won't happen for 3 or 4 years maybe.

Gee, I dunno bro, if the worlds were interesting enough and if it relies on the driver being in the right gear so as not to stall or get bogged down it might be worth a looky, anyway nice to see something different, and that truck is just bad ass!

True, but only true now. I can remember when ragdolls were tech demos, and so with this Spintires tech demo I can see that a similar thing will happen - when there's enough spare processing available something like this can be plugged in place. But I guess this won't happen for 3 or 4 years maybe.

Are you talking about a game, or (a game like) Arma? Because if Take On's RL flight model gives you a 10 FPS hit, I can guarantee you this will not be in an Arma (like) game in 3 or 4 years.

Are you talking about a game, or (a game like) Arma? Because if Take On's RL flight model gives you a 10 FPS hit, I can guarantee you this will not be in an Arma (like) game in 3 or 4 years.

PC processing power is still doubling every 18 months right? So in 18 months time there will be available a PC that will be the equivalent of 1 PC for ArmA and 1 PC for ToH in the same machine yes? I know there are other factors but losing 10 fps on such a machine won't be such a big deal :)

I realise the average PC probably expands at a slower rate than Moore's Law would suggest, but I don't think 3 or 4 years to see some game use the Spintires tech as part of it's arsenal is outwith the bounds of possibility. GTA makes good use of Euphoria for example, a tech that also used to take up an entire PC to simulate (and not even in real-time :))

Unless this Spintires tech is a development for a specific function (its own game, or a training tool or something) then it'd be well suited as a third-party module.

PC processing power is still doubling every 18 months right? So in 18 months time there will be available a PC that will be the equivalent of 1 PC for ArmA and 1 PC for ToH in the same machine yes? I know there are other factors but losing 10 fps on such a machine won't be such a big deal :)

I realise the average PC probably expands at a slower rate than Moore's Law would suggest, but I don't think 3 or 4 years to see some game use the Spintires tech as part of it's arsenal is outwith the bounds of possibility. GTA makes good use of Euphoria for example, a tech that also used to take up an entire PC to simulate (and not even in real-time :))

Unless this Spintires tech is a development for a specific function (its own game, or a training tool or something) then it'd be well suited as a third-party module.

I have not yet known a game that has had so much spare power in the processor that they couldn't use it, or a videogame company with so much money they decided they could just put their engineers on anything they could dream up. When it comes to making games, it's about gameplay and making money (monetization is the buzz word). Sinking your tires into mud is set dressing and a waste of every resource imaginable, from your computer, to the development team, to the publisher. SOF had this totally superfluous head destruction mechanic that sold some copies based on its novelty factor, but do you think you're going to sell a full featured game as big as arma based on how the mud moves if it's draining any significant percent of the processor, GPU, or development time?

I have not yet known a game that has had so much spare power in the processor that they couldn't use it, or a videogame company with so much money they decided they could just put their engineers on anything they could dream up.

But you have heard of games companies that, over time, has introduced third-party technologies for the games' benefit as PCs become more powerful yes? :) I'm thinking of PhysX, Euphoria, Truesky etc.

When it comes to making games, it's about gameplay and making money (monetization is the buzz word). Sinking your tires into mud is set dressing and a waste of every resource imaginable, from your computer, to the development team, to the publisher. SOF had this totally superfluous head destruction mechanic that sold some copies based on its novelty factor, but do you think you're going to sell a full featured game as big as arma based on how the mud moves if it's draining any significant percent of the processor, GPU, or development time?

Well if you simply don't believe it's anything more than a waste of any resources then that's your opinion, however:

Sinking your tires into mud is set dressing and a waste of every resource imaginable

It's more than set dressing, far more. Take another look at the video & see how the maneuverability is affected by the decisions the driver makes. Micro-decisions based on what part of the road he uses based on what he can see, what gear he is in, what axles are engaged etc. We already have a very low-grade version of exactly this with different terrain types affecting ArmA vehicles. The possibility of getting bogged into a situation surely fits into ArmA-style gameplay.

At the very least I imagine a product like VBS would be very interested in this sort of technology.

Edited by DMarkwick

But you have heard of games companies that, over time, has introduced third-party technologies for the games' benefit as PCs become more powerful yes? :) I'm thinking of PhysX, Euphoria, Truesky etc.

What does third party have anything to do with anything? Moreover, PhysX, Euphoria, and Truesky all have no where near the bling nor the impact on the scene or the data that this thing does. You can make a character driven by euphoria without any data changes. This deformable terrain is something completely different.

Well if you simply don't believe it's anything more than a waste of any resources then that's your opinion, however:

It's more than set dressing, far more. Take another look at the video & see how the maneuverability is affected by the decisions the driver makes. Micro-decisions based on what part of the road he uses based on what he can see, what gear he is in, what axles are engaged etc. We already have a very low-grade version of exactly this with different terrain types affecting ArmA vehicles. The possibility of getting bogged into a situation surely fits into ArmA-style gameplay.

At the very least I imagine a product like VBS would be very interested in this sort of technology.

I think perhaps you need to read what you quoted again. I don't see anything up there that addresses 'sinking tires into mud'. Moreover, getting bogged down, driving or surface simulation, none of that has anything to do with 'sinking tires into mud' as was shown in that video. Or perhaps what I said wasn't clear: The

set dressing
graphical dynamic mesh deformation of
sinking tires into mud
is a total waste of time unless you're doing a dedicated driving game- like perhaps a logging truck simulator.

is a total waste of time unless you're doing a dedicated driving game- like perhaps a logging truck simulator.

Well for me this would be perfect for it and I thought that was what it might end up, if not, I agree. to focus on such physx detail then thats the obstacles to overcome when driving, so to have some kind of haulage/logging type sim with a earning system like Euro Truck Simulator (only example I can give) it makes sense, otherwise it is a bit "tech demo" for the sake of it.

What does third party have anything to do with anything? Moreover, PhysX, Euphoria, and Truesky all have no where near the bling nor the impact on the scene or the data that this thing does. You can make a character driven by euphoria without any data changes. This deformable terrain is something completely different.

Well I'm sorry but I don't understand this paragraph, I mentioned third party because... I mentioned third party :) There's no telling how a new tech can be intergrated. Either by area, texture, parallax, mesh, any number of ways. I don't really know the details of how this particular implementation works (the video) I only mention third party because it seems like technology that would be bought in rather than remade.

I think perhaps you need to read what you quoted again. I don't see anything up there that addresses 'sinking tires into mud'. Moreover, getting bogged down, driving or surface simulation, none of that has anything to do with 'sinking tires into mud' as was shown in that video.

My quote just meant that the different road/surfaces affect vehicles in different ways already - this would just be a high-tech way of doing the same thing but more authentically :)

Or perhaps what I said wasn't clear: The graphical dynamic mesh deformation of is a total waste of time unless you're doing a dedicated driving game- like perhaps a logging truck simulator.

What you said was clear but maybe what I said was not - that over time, what might seem to be hi-tech implementation in one engine might eventually be implemented into another as a detail. Like physics, ragdoll, Euphoria etc. All those techs were once demo techs that took an entire PC to simply showcase, and now they are used as details in other engines. This is exactly the same :)

total waste of time unless you're doing a dedicated driving game- like perhaps a logging truck simulator.

Or a tank simulator. Or any HGV vehicle. Or any vehicle that might have to drive across boggy/muddy/sandy terrain. Like ArmA ;)

*edit*

To be clear - I don't think we'd need the ability to deform any meshes or have any permanent or broadcastable effect - just the ability for the vehicle to bog down & sink in etc, based on a road detail like a rut or a channel. As long as the vehicle itself is behaving the same way on all clients I don't think the details of terrain deformation (on this scale) are all that important. In the same way that tracks are not "broadcast" but are generated on each machine, a similar basic effect could occur with this. i.e. local deformation affecting local vehicles, but vehicles themselves moving the same way on all clients.

Edited by DMarkwick

It's not high tech, it's just new because no one in their right mind would spend the resources on something like this until now because it's superfluous. 3 or 4 years from now it won't be in an ArmA like game, I am 99% sure.

For the driving sim I think you'd be able to accomplish this without anything fancy... but I think the effects of this on the AI and stuff would be incredibly frustrating... if they were invulnerable to being bogged down, or if they were getting stuck, both is a losing situation for the player.

Edited by Max Power

this is so much fun, been driving around in a GQ Patrol going nuts. floating down river in a UAZ, can't wait for the next version, this game is rad.

it's a 140mb dev build, 2 trucks and a UAZ, dev build you can download modded in vehicles.

http://spintires.com/#!/demo

Well it has been already a year since this post was started, and the game has already been released.

I have to say that is just :eek: It looks awesome, it doesn't take much space, and plays awesomely too :)

It would be nice if BI could add some of the features to A3, specially now that we have Physix. Some mud level ( that could be add a bit like the water in A3 but with more density ), etc.

Well it has been already a year since this post was started, and the game has already been released.

I have to say that is just :eek: It looks awesome, it doesn't take much space, and plays awesomely too :)

It would be nice if BI could add some of the features to A3, specially now that we have Physix. Some mud level ( that could be add a bit like the water in A3 but with more density ), etc.

Can you simply drive around without doing the mission task ?

also did you get it on steam, if so how much was it ?

Your right this game does look fantastic.

Thanks.

Can you simply drive around without doing the mission task ?

also did you get it on steam, if so how much was it ?

Your right this game does look fantastic.

Thanks.

Yes, it's a sandbox, the "goal" is to bring a certain amount of logs to a certain places. But as the game is based in Far East Russia where roads are a joke ( just watch the Siberian part of Long Way Round ), so you have to explore first with a UAZ jeep and then bring the trucks. Each vehicle consumes fuel and can suffer damages, so eventually you will have to use other vehicles to save and repair the ones that were out of fuel or broken. Also if you get stuck in the mud or in a river, you will need to use winches attached to a trees or if its really bad, attached to another of your vehicles.

By default you have a few vehicles, that as you "unclog" the map discovering key point, there you unlock more vehicles ( basically all Russian, Kamaz, UAZ, Ural, etc. ).

As far as I know it's only available in Steam for about 25€. But if you want to see how your PC can handle the game, there is a Tech Demo ( a demo which even has mods for it ).

BTW the game has just been released, but the devs have promised to keep maintaining it, including free vehicles, features, maps, cargoes, etc. Also of course a few payed DLCs ( which will contain a bunch of vehicles and maps each ).

Edited by MistyRonin

Just tried tech demo and to admit -it's pretty cool. Pretty amazing how intuitive the vehicle responds to minute changes in the soil -you can literally feel what exact angle will pull you outta the mud -that's a major advancement in gaming. What I didn't like was no true manual? As in clutch/gears etc..? Thats the crux of man merge with machine. Also the test car model is seriously lacking in engine power, just feels really weak.

Had my eye on this for well over a year and might try to find time to try the demo tonight...

From the beautiful looking videos and screens I've seen of it, it reminds me a HELL of a lot of STALKER (Yes, I'm obsessed...).

Depending on how it plays and potentially handles mods in future (Can we add buildings to the scenery?) I might move some of my NOVA ZONA buildings to Spintires to achieve a more "ZONE" like atmosphere for a modded version... I like the look of it already so much- night time looks beautiful.

From the beautiful looking videos and screens I've seen of it, it reminds me a HELL of a lot of STALKER (Yes, I'm obsessed...).

In fact the game tries to represent Russia ( which has a landscape really similar to Ukraine, so makes sense ), also adding only Russian vehicles, because the devs are Russian.

The developers seems to allow a huge degree of modding, there has been a lot of mods including vehicles and so on, I don't know if you can add buildings and create maps, but seeing how they work, if it's not possible yet, it will be soon.

In fact the game tries to represent Russia ( which has a landscape really similar to Ukraine, so makes sense ), also adding only Russian vehicles, because the devs are Russian.

I think the devs are British, not Russian. What's missing right now it's the ability to save a multiplayer game.

An update is suppose to be release soon.