Sign in to follow this  
astrospud

How much of the planet will be available to explore?

There is so much data available from both surface missions and (moreso) the MRO mission.

Does BI have an agreement with JPL to source up-to-date data to apply to terrain in near real time? I understand it would require a lot of computer grunt, especially if you have been exploring for a long time (in game).

The game will come with 3 locations, each 4x4km in size:

Victoria Crater

Kaiser Crater

Gale Crater

using real satellite data

Maybe data from Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter or mars express. As for real time updates to the terrain, not sure how that would work, maybe weather, but would take a large amount of effort I imagine, but I'm sure dram will clear it up for you.

As mentioned, we currently have the 3 locations, with an additional one being released later as free dlc (Mars' moon Deimos).

Real time updates to terrain would not be possible to implement at this point, not to mention generating realistic looking terrain in terms of rock distribution, cliff faces etc. All of our locations are made by hand, so it is a time-consuming task, though well worth the effort.

Thanks for the really quick reply!

I figured as much, but I gotta ask :)

Are there any plans to allow for "user / community" terrains modding in the future? This looks like it could be great fun to make a terrain or two for!

B

Are there any plans to allow for "user / community" terrains modding in the future? This looks like it could be great fun to make a terrain or two for!

Yes, players will be able to make their own locations, or simply copy/paste/edit existing ones. The Space Program supports dynamically adding or removing locations, so it can be significantly extended. The Workbench suite, used to edit terrain etc, will be released a week after early access, so in 2 weeks.

As mentioned, we currently have the 3 locations, with an additional one being released later as free dlc (Mars' moon Deimos).

Real time updates to terrain would not be possible to implement at this point, not to mention generating realistic looking terrain in terms of rock distribution, cliff faces etc. All of our locations are made by hand, so it is a time-consuming task, though well worth the effort.

I'm really interested to see how you guys do Deimos, looking at its small size and incredibly low gravity. Out of curiosity, would going to other moons or planets be a possible official DLC later on? Could we feasibly see Take On Titan DLC or Take On Europa? (which would actually be really cool because then you'd have the possibility of robotic submersibles) Or would we only see these through modding?

If Dram and co end up doing all the dlc mentioned or what he'd like we would end up having TakeOn the Milkey Way.

I'm really interested to see how you guys do Deimos, looking at its small size and incredibly low gravity. Out of curiosity, would going to other moons or planets be a possible official DLC later on? Could we feasibly see Take On Titan DLC or Take On Europa? (which would actually be really cool because then you'd have the possibility of robotic submersibles) Or would we only see these through modding?

I cannot say for sure, though it is an interesting idea. Take On Mars will support the addition of other planetary bodies, so adding other planets or moons will be possible even for modders, if they wish. Though regarding an official DLC, we'll have to wait and see.