Sign in to follow this  
Axe99

What's ArmA 3's modelling of human movement and aiming like?

I've only played vanilla ArmA 2, and thought it was a great attempt at providing a realistic-style tactical military shooter, but there was one thing that really let me down, and that was that human movement was modelled just fine when it came to movement over terrain in one direction, but when it came to looking and aiming, there was no movement model at all. It just let you aim and shoot as fast as you could point and click with a mouse.

As I'm interested in a realistic milsim, this is an important issue for me. I really enjoy realistic shooters, and it's always saddened me that however realistic everything else is on PC shooters, they generally default to a "you turn and aim, regardless of the weight of the weapon you're carrying or the fact that your muscles and body have lag and acceleration, as quick as your hand can move your ultra-sensitive gaming mouse", which for a game like ArmA kills the realism pretty quick (it destroyed it for me in ArmA 2). So the question is, what's the physics model like for turning and aiming firearms?

Note - this is very different to track IR, which covers where you're looking. We can all change our gaze pretty quickly - my concern has always been the weapon handling.

Apologies if this has already been covered, had a look and found an ArmA 2 thread but nothing in ArmA 3. Game's looking pretty damn good at this stage - best of luck to the devs polishing it up and getting it ready for release :).

The answer is none, the mouse sensitivity is now similar to mainstream games and it makes it unrealistic for heavier weapons. Whether this will be fixed we don' know.

Thanks for the info, least I won't get my hopes up. Sounds a bit odd - hopefully the ArmA series is still trying to be a sim and not moving too far towards the arcade spectrum. Still looks like a great game, hopefully there's still time for them to make it a great sim :D.

I don't think ARMA would go for arcade design, if it is ever does I will give up on Arma as I have gave up on Battleglitch :-)

I don't think ARMA would go for arcade design, if it is ever does I will give up on Arma as I have gave up on Battleglitch :-)

The aiming 'model' in ArmA 2 was plenty arcade enough (ie, there was no physics or human modelling to speak of), it sounds like they've gone that way with ArmA3 as well. It's right odd, given that the vast majority of everything else is simmed, that they'd leave a core component of gameplay (aiming in a shooter tends to be important) un-simmed.

Aye, put my 2 cents in over there as well - your thread hadn't come along when I posted this. Fingers crossed we get a more simmed aiming model, at least as an option.