Sign in to follow this  
Von Quest

Backpacks - Parachute and Scuba Qs?

Again my Thanks Goblin, I am on the case right now. One thing I have noticed though is that when I put a specific loadout in the init for each unit it is fine until such time as the unit is required to respawn. After 1st death it seems to default to whatever the in game unit default loadout is, Squad Leader or whatever etc as appose to the INIT version.

Setting a loadout in the init doesn't do anything for respawn. You'll need to somehow capture the loadout you wanted to keep and reapply it at respawn. By default, as you've discovered, you respawn with default gear.

Respawn? What is that? This is NOT Xbox!

Just kidding. :p

I play fairly hardcore. I never have respawn.

WAY more immersive knowing that you only

have just the 1 life.

What? :rolleyes: Enemies always killed me at least once :D

have just the 1 life.

If the AI were not such a good shot at long range then I would not play with re-spawns. They seem to be able to put one between my eyes from 200m Cold Bore. My friend and I play with one life only on other titles but it almost seems impossible on this.

Current state of this project. May release more/addon later with wrist-altimeter.

Several ways to evolve this... Waiting on full release from BIS to see how they

address some issues before widdling-away unnecessary time. For now, a teaser!

Click for High-Def version of IMG:

<a  href=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/9467148565_50dde5f3e8_o.jpg' alt='9467148565_50dde5f3e8_o.jpg'> HALO_Project1 by richardvonquest, on Flickr[/img]

Edited by Goblin
anyone know the max allowed IMG size?

Thank you, that was fast! But its blurry. Can't find the largest dimensions.

Anyone know? Need to redo and shrink I guess...

Goblin, that looks awesome. Where can I get me one of those ;)

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

have just the 1 life.

I would love to play without respawn as I do in most other titles I play with my friend. Even if it is self imposed rules. However, the AI being able to put one through my forehead from 300m in the dark, on a foggy night whilst I am in a bush, Cold Bore, kind of spoils it and the mission would be over dead quick. I don't mind the AI being good shots, they need to be, but that is ridiculous. Unless I can dumb them down slightly in some way.

Goblin, that looks awesome. Where can I get me one of those ;)

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

I would love to play without respawn as I do in most other titles I play with my friend. Even if it is self imposed rules. However, the AI being able to put one through my forehead from 300m in the dark, on a foggy night whilst I am in a bush, Cold Bore, kind of spoils it and the mission would be over dead quick. I don't mind the AI being good shots, they need to be, but that is ridiculous. Unless I can dumb them down slightly in some way.

check out asr_air and tpwcas.

I don't mind the AI being good shots, they need to be, but that is ridiculous. Unless I can dumb them down slightly in some way.

put into your init.sqf

Play around with it...

{
_x setSkill ["general", 0.7];
_x setSkill ["commanding", 0.5];
_x setSkill ["courage", 0.3];
_x setSkill ["endurance", 0.6];
_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.2];
_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.2];
_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.7];
_x setSkill ["reloadspeed", 0.3];
_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.5];
_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.2];

} 
forEach allUnits;

@mantls

What is asr_air and tpwcas?

What the HECK?!! This just broke with the last update. Grrrr! Why updates on Fridays? Stupid. No time to fix for weekend!

Anyone know why this would break? The script now runs as it's supposed to, BUT then the Backpack will NOT attachTo the

player now. It now just drops all the way to the ground. What's going on? Is the MemoryPoint "pelvis" no longer valid? :mad:

Can't attach the backpack to the player anymore... Even on the ground with just that script:

_unit = _this select 0;
_pack = unitBackpack _unit;
_pack attachTo [_unit,[0,-0.13,0],"Pelvis"]; 
_pack setVectorDirAndUp [[0,0,1],[0,1,0]]; //flip pack upside down

Anybody knows how to fix that ?!

Well i guess you#ll need to drop it first? since its in the players inventory i presume.

No, even if I place an empty bag via the editor and then attach it to the player with its name it doesn't work...

Yup, for some odd reason, its really broken now! Grrrr!

I would really like to see this fixed. I made a function that will re-add the backpack and all of its contents, going to use this with my HALO function. I would really like to add the backpack to the front again.

/*
   File: fn_saveLoadOut.sqf
   Version: 1.0
   Author(s): cobra4v320
   Description: Saves the units backpack with loadout for HALO jumping function

Parameters:
   0: UNIT - (object) the unit that will be doing the HALO

Example(s):
   _halo = [this] spawn COB_fnc_saveLoadOut

Notes:
   Must use "spawn" and not "call" due to sleep and waituntil commands in the function
*/

if (!isServer || isDedicated) exitWith {};

//Parameters
private ["_unit","_pack","_cargo","_class","_magazines","_weapons","_items"];
_unit        = [_this, 0, objNull, [objNull]] call BIS_fnc_param;
_pack       = unitBackpack _unit;
_cargo       = backPackItems _unit; 
_class       = typeOf _pack;
_magazines = getMagazineCargo _pack;
_weapons   = getWeaponCargo _pack;
_items       = getItemCargo _pack;

//Validate parameters
if (isNull _unit) exitWith {"Unit parameter must not be objNull. Accepted: OBJECT" call BIS_fnc_error};

removeBackpack _unit; //remove the backpack 
_unit addBackpack "B_parachute"; //add the parachute

waitUntil {isTouchingGround _unit || getPos _unit select 2 < 1};
_unit addBackpack _class; //return the backpack
clearAllItemsFromBackpack _unit; //clear all gear from new backpack

for "_i" from 0 to (count (_magazines select 0) - 1) do {
   (unitBackpack _unit) addMagazineCargo [(_magazines select 0) select _i,(_magazines select 1) select _i]; //return the magazines
};
for "_i" from 0 to (count (_weapons select 0) - 1) do {
   (unitBackpack _unit) addWeaponCargo [(_weapons select 0) select _i,(_weapons select 1) select _i]; //return the weapons
};
for "_i" from 0 to (count (_items select 0) - 1) do {
   (unitBackpack _unit) addItemCargo [(_items select 0) select _i,(_items select 1) select _i]; //return the items
};

//log
["Pack Classname: (%1) \n Items: (%2) \n Magazines: (%3) \n Weapons: (%4) \n Cargo: (%5)",_class,_items,_magazines,_weapons,_cargo] call BIS_fnc_logFormat;

//Return Value
_class  

Edited by cobra4v320

You're my hero. You and dr_strangepete have done some brilliant work. I'm looking

forward to playing around with this. I especially love the immersion effects. I plan

on tweaking it a tad, but I really LOVE it! Thanks again.

Not sure why, but I was getting hurt some on a few of the landings for some reason.

Not sure if this was intended or a side-effect. Then I tried doing some landings where I

was very careful and tried to land as soft as possible and it seemed to worked. IF this

was intended, it adds immersion as you have to concentrate on a "good" landing.

I need to do some more testing. Water landings worked great as well. Untested in MP.

Should work ok for now I'm guessing. MP is always finicky as-is with the current game.

Goblin post ideas in that other thread if they involve the HALO example I would love to update them and make the example better for everybody to use.

As for this thread this is how I attach the backpack when in free fall and in para_pilot:

private ["_unit","_class","_packHolder"];
_unit 	= _this select 0;
_class 	= _this select 1;

_packHolder = createVehicle ["groundWeaponHolder", [0,0,0], [], 0, "can_collide"]; //create an empty holder 
_packHolder addBackpackCargo [_class, 1]; //place your old backpack into the empty holder
_packHolder attachTo [_unit,[0.1,0.56,-.72],"pelvis"]; //attach empty holder to unit
_packHolder setVectorDirAndUp [[0,1,0],[0,0,-1]]; //set the vector and direction of the empty holder

waitUntil {animationState _unit == "para_pilot"}; //wait for the unit to go into the para_pilot animation
_packHolder attachTo [vehicle _unit,[0.1,0.72,0.52],"pelvis"]; //attach the empty holder to the new position
_packHolder setVectorDirAndUp [[0,0.1,1],[0,1,0.1]]; //set the new vector direction

waitUntil {isTouchingGround _unit || getPos _unit select 2 < 1}; //wait until the unit is on the ground
deleteVehicle _packHolder; //delete the temp backpack and empty holder

After deleting the "fake" backpack you can readd the old one and all of the gear. My saveLoadOut function does all of this.

Edited by cobra4v320

I wanted to post some more findings on how to attach the backpack (using a carryall backpack):

Standing on the ground

packHolder attachTo [player,[-0.1,0.72,-0.03],"pelvis"];

packHolder setVectorDirAndUp [[0,0,-1],[0,1,0]];

During Free fall

packHolder attachTo [player,[-0.12,-0.02,-.74],"pelvis"];

packHolder setVectorDirAndUp [[0,-1,-0.05],[0,0,-1]];

Para_Pilot

packHolder attachTo [vehicle player,[-0.07,0.67,-0.13],"pelvis"];

packHolder setVectorDirAndUp [[0,-0.2,-1],[0,1,0]];

Originally I had the backpack upside down, the numbers above will make the pack face the correct direction.