Sign in to follow this  
Scouter

GUID Changed?

I am having an issue that I am concerned about. I am an admin of a DayZ server that uses Battleye Extended Control. When I went to use a !kick command nothing happened. After a bit of troubleshooting, I found out that my current GUID did not match the one that was on the admins.xml file that was first written a few months ago. Therefore, my GUID has been changed. So, my question is: can a person's GUID be changed randomly or was my CD key stolen and swapped with another? I haven't been banned yet and I have not downloaded any unknown exe. I am lost and a little concerned.

Every GUID is unique to the CD-Key. Different GUID, different key.

As long as your current key/ GUID is not used for cheating, you won't be globally banned.

Edited by Nik21

But the question still remains: how did my GUID change? Does it do that by itself or was someone able to change something on my computer?

Your GUID doesen't change magicially. Someone or something has changed they hex key in the registry.

Hello there

Hope the mods don't mind us discussing Dayz stuff here whilst the forums are down, but this possibly could be a case of a "stolen key"

AFAIK Guid's do not change. I would look at the possibility that something *was* run on your PC whether one was aware of it or not.

Even if it's a false alarm it's good to test your security every now and then. How sure are you that the admins.xml file has not been altered by mistake by another admin?

Rgds

LoK

Cool to see you are roaming these forums as well,

Note: I wouldn't consider this a DayZ thing as much as "an Arma thing that was discovered because of DayZ"

I just reviewed all processes on my computer and cross-referenced them with all of my established connections with the "netstat -ano" in the command prompt. After doing this, I can assure there are no programs that are malicious nor are there unfamiliar programs that have established a connection to an outside source (like key loggers or rats).

Also, the admin.xml had not been touched before I realized my current GUID and the older listed one did not match. With that, I am very certain my info was not altered in the file.

As of my making this post, my current key/GUID as not been banned. So, is there even the slightest chance my GUID just changed because of Battleye or another legitimate thing?

Update: Yesterday, I did a Norton virus scan and it turned up nothing. (My father actually had a rat and Norton was able to identify him having one, so if I did have one, Norton would have picked it up).

Edited by Scouter

In case your key changed by running a keystealer...

Keystealer's are mostly .exe's, you run them once, they send your key to a database/ email etc. and often replace your current key with another one. They will not install any processes or leave other traces, nor will they be detected by (most) anti-virus software.

You might want to check your key in the registry and see if it matches with the one you bought (in the correct format ofc).

Edited by Nik21

Hello there

Nik21 is correct. Most keystealers are a "run once" affair and generally dont lurk. Checking your registry may be an idea.

Rgds

LoK

I have my new and old guid on hand, as well has the CD key listed on steam, which I assume is the one that came with my original purchase. What address in the registry has my current key?

I checked "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" like a few instructions said, but the "KEY" listed is unfamiliar to me. It's hex value is not long enough to be a cd key and it is not long enough to my a guid.

Another question: are Player IDs bound to CD keys? Because my Player ID has remained the same since the clearing of my clan's server database a few months back.

Edited by Scouter

Hello there

I'll try to get in contact with one of our "tech support" folk to ask 'em. Keep looking for info though.

Rgds

LoK

Thanks, appreciate that. Just as a note, it has been 3 days since I found this out and I am not banned yet.

I have my new and old guid on hand, as well has the CD key listed on steam, which I assume is the one that came with my original purchase. What address in the registry has my current key?

I checked "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" like a few instructions said, but the "KEY" listed is unfamiliar to me. It's hex value is not long enough to be a cd key and it is not long enough to my a guid.

That is your key in an encrypted format.

Another question: are Player IDs bound to CD keys? Because my Player ID has remained the same since the clearing of my clan's server database a few months back.

Player IDs are bound to CD keys, change your CD key and you will get a different player ID.

As you have steam you can do a "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and it should restore your original key if indeed has been changed.

Did anyone else connect on your pc with his steam account? Maybe his key remained.

Have you got a 2nd copy of Arma2OA that you change between?

As you have steam you can do a "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and it should restore your original key if indeed has been changed.

Did anyone else connect on your pc with his steam account? Maybe his key remained.

Have you got a 2nd copy of Arma2OA that you change between?

I am the only one that uses this computer and I have only one copy of Arma2oa.

Now... you say that Player IDs are bound to CD keys, my player ID has stayed the same for a few months (and likely longer.)

I just verified my Game Cache or OA and my key is the same after doing so. It did say 3 files failed to verify, but I think those are unrelated.

AFAIK the player ID is NOT bound to the CD-Key/ GUID. Not sure though.

Also, when launching the game via Steam, it should force/ revert the original key (correct privilegies required).

Thanks, appreciate that. Just as a note, it has been 3 days since I found this out and I am not banned yet.

As I said, as long as your current key is not used for cheating it won't be banned.

As I said, as long as your current key is not used for cheating it won't be banned.

So, assuming that a given CD key can only be active on one computer at a time, I do not have to worry about getting banned because of someone that is hacking with my Cd key?

Edited by Scouter

So, assuming that a given CD key can only be active on one computer at a time, I do not have to worry about getting banned because of someone that is hacking with my Cd key?

Nope. Someone else can use your CD-Key while you are not playing online.

Hello there

The Dayz forums are up again now, Repost your issue there and Ill get the lads to look at it.

Rdgs

LoK

I actually did some research and found out that the PID is indeed linked to the key. Which means that you're still on the same key - my conclusion is that the changed GUID must be a misinterpretation on your side.

I actually did some research and found out that the PID is indeed linked to the key. Which means that you're still on the same key - my conclusion is that the changed GUID must be a misinterpretation on your side.

Yep, I came to that same conclusion. I shall put this on the DayZ forums.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142776-guid-changed-but-same-cd-key-pid/

Edited by Scouter
link