Sign in to follow this  
TSAndrey

LOD switching worse than ever?

LOD switching is now worse than ever. I literally see objects switching 20m infront of me. I know that it was bad before, but I don't recall it ever being so bad! This is absolutely broken and completely ruins the graphics! I just can't handle seeing rocks switching LOD from pixelated to detailed 10m from me!

Someone said switching off the rpt file helped.

EDITED : "-nolog" to command line

Edited by afp

Think it's -nologs

Got an s on the end.

I also forgot mention that I have object quality on High, and it doesn't solve anything!

Ok but why should we have to do this to help the LOD issue? Isnt this just a Beta thing for testing purposes?

ts andrey how big is your vram? did you try setting texture to standard and restart the game?

I had this behaviour in ArmA 2 - have 1 GB Vram and whenever I overloaded it, I had terrible LOD switching, and it only stopped when I restartet the game. Set the texture lower and it disappeared. texture setting seems to set the quality range not the quality itself.. not sure.

in the third alpha patch there also was terrible lod switching.. but they removed it - havent had it since. i should mention that the higehr texture values are not there in the options for me anymore!

ts andrey how big is your vram? did you try setting texture to standard and restart the game?

I had this behaviour in ArmA 2 - have 1 GB Vram and whenever I overloaded it, I had terrible LOD switching, and it only stopped when I restartet the game. Set the texture lower and it disappeared. texture setting seems to set the quality range not the quality itself.. not sure.

in the third alpha patch there also was terrible lod switching.. but they removed it - havent had it since. i should mention that the higehr texture values are not there in the options for me anymore!

I have textures on Standard... LOD is always like this, it doesn't happen occasionally!

Lodding is bad on standard settings but I didn't notice much at all when running it on high for a while.

Ever since the release of Beta i have been getting MUCH WORSE performance in ALL areas.. LOD has been pretty bad from the get go.. Definitely not getting any better in the Beta.. BUT HEY , We have an animated switch on our guns now that shows what fire mod were in.....................

Ever since the release of Beta i have been getting MUCH WORSE performance in ALL areas.. LOD has been pretty bad from the get go.. Definitely not getting any better in the Beta.. BUT HEY , We have an animated switch on our guns now that shows what fire mod were in.....................

made me chuckle

It seems to be worse in MP, maybe because of server lagg, but it's still bad in SP. Something needs to be done about this ASAP!

One thing that bothers me is that most servers force low object and terrain detail. Why do the server override these client settings? It seems the only way to enjoy the graphics at max is to play in single player.

One thing that bothers me is that most servers force low object and terrain detail. Why do the server override these client settings? It seems the only way to enjoy the graphics at max is to play in single player.

Because the game is unoptimized (especially MP) and server admins want their servers to have good performance

But does this even affect the server? It doesn't need to render it, so I would assume this only affects the client.

Object Detail is client side, Terrain detail is forced server side as you could simply turn it down in your settings -> no grass, advantage.

Set the texture lower and it disappeared. texture setting seems to set the quality range not the quality itself.. not sure

You are right. Putting texture quality on High seems to fix the horrible LOD switching. However, LOD switching is horrible with any setting below High, so I hope BI will fix it.

If LOD switcghing is horrible below high settings try reducing or increasing your view distance. I had noticed some time back that A3 uses some sort of rule set in prioritising and balancing your view settings. It can be difficult to grasp and you may need to throw some settings out to extremes to see the effect on others but it could be worth playing with.

Object Detail is client side, Terrain detail is forced server side as you could simply turn it down in your settings -> no grass, advantage.

Of all the things.. why cripple the game over such a anal feature? While running around in 10 fps i am not gonna be happy and say "Oh well at least its fair"

Everybody you come across is probably 200 meters out anyway and grass doesn't render that far at all.

This is probably the single biggest design flaw concocted in game design history... ever.

This and server side hit detection on a first/third person action game. which forces you to shoot a whole mag in a player just to make sure he goes down faster.

playing this game in 60+ fps and on 10-30ish is like playing a totally different game. one is a fast paced immersive military shooter and the other is a turn based strategy game.

not that i could code anything better but bohemia.. seriously.

Edited by defk0n_NL

If you can't run the game with grass, you can't run the game. Period. And yes, I suffered through the low framerates from the release of ArmA 2 until this very month. No grass is cheating.

Hit detection is player-side, too. It might take a while for the victim to die because of latency, but welcome to online fps.

If you can't run the game with grass, you can't run the game. Period. And yes, I suffered through the low framerates from the release of ArmA 2 until this very month. No grass is cheating.

Hit detection is player-side, too. It might take a while for the victim to die because of latency, but welcome to online fps.

i am not saying disable all grass but, put in some low res grass sprites or something. Having the server control that big of a part in framerate is insanity.

So you are saying i cant run the game because the server cant run it? I play a2/3 on gtx 570 + 2600k@4.5ghz. on a M4 crucial.

Its not top notch but runs smoothly on sp.

oh and btw lets not forget that Bohemia doesnt have ANY official Arma 3 servers.

i love arma to death but seriously. WTF

also: its not like this has come as a surprise, its just longterm frustration.

Edited by defk0n_NL

Grass doesn't do anything to server framerate, just the client's.

Low fps clients will mess with the netcode, though.