Sign in to follow this  
Pomi Git

PG Services - Private Military Company

Pomi, I was thinking of something.

Currently, PGs is sided Independant, but, In fact, we can't make missions where PGs could fight another PMC for a same interest, you know what I mean ? But it's like create another mod sided blu or red ><

Pomi, I was thinking of something.

Currently, PGs is sided Independant, but, In fact, we can't make missions where PGs could fight another PMC for a same interest, you know what I mean ? But it's like create another mod sided blu or red ><

This can be easily circumvented by the mission creator. The simplest method is to group one of the teams with a blufor or opfor member of higher rank to them, with his probability to spawn set to zero. The grouped players will now be on his team, and he won't exist at all.

Damn me, I knew it ;)

I totally forgot and I already did it sometimes ^^

Ok Pomi, forget my message :)

This can be easily circumvented by the mission creator. The simplest method is to group one of the teams with a blufor or opfor member of higher rank to them, with his probability to spawn set to zero. The grouped players will now be on his team, and he won't exist at all.

you can also open the mission.sqm file with a text editor and change the side of the units there manually and not have to worry about respawn issues and the such

you can also open the mission.sqm file with a text editor and change the side of the units there manually and not have to worry about respawn issues and the such

All this time and I didn't know you can do this!!

Sorry, been a bit slack replying here

Neurofunker - I do have a plan to make a campaign, but it won't based on the a2oa pmc campaign

Bl2ck Dog - thanks for sharing your mission, good to see people making use of the mod. Re pre-filled backpacks, I agree with Delta99 and scorch_052.

Trauma.au - the texture used for the black kit bag is not custom made, its available in game, BI just aren't using it yet. I'm sure it will be added in a later release so no point me adding

Dirkyyyyy - I don't use play with six and I've no plan to. I don't think much of it myself

Keewa - glad you got that sorted, Independant side is the best place for a pmc

Couldn't help but notice that your PMC is in a different independent than... well, independent (the AAF one). Not sure if this is on purpose or not. Was wondering if you knew.

Couldn't help but notice that your PMC is in a different independent than... well, independent (the AAF one). Not sure if this is on purpose or not. Was wondering if you knew.

Have a look at page 6, already raised and patch fix planned

Great addon ! Keep up the great work ;) !

Best regards

massi

Dirkyyyyy - I don't use play with six and I've no plan to. I don't think much of it myself

I'm sure you have your reasons, but as a pw6 user myself, it's a real boon to organize, update and launch mods and addons from it. Especially if the addon collection grows in size and it becomes a hassle to hunt every single one down to it's forum post, website or download page. But it's most beneficial if you play a lot of multiplayer.

As your addon will gain popularity, more missions will appear with your addon as a prereq, which in turns make servers have it as a prereq. It's then very helpful if it was available for the automatic downloader so players don't have to scour around for it before they join.

The decision is of course up to you how you wish to handle the distribution, but I would like to see it on pw6 eventually as well.

I would have to say that play with six is a necessary evil. I would think that most if not all squads use it to organize their mod packs. This mod should definitely be in there so it is used by those communities.

Hmmm. I tried it once for AiA and just found it a real hassle and confusing to set up. I gave up and just used the bat file to launch instead. Surely once support for mods is added to steam workshop it won't be needed. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Surely once support for mods is added to steam workshop it won't be needed. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Bolded is what is missing. It should be noted that AiA is an exception in what it does versus conventional mods.

Edited by Masharra

Hmmm. I tried it once for AiA and just found it a real hassle and confusing to set up. I gave up and just used the bat file to launch instead. Surely once support for mods is added to steam workshop it won't be needed. Or am I missing something? :confused:

Ah, AiA is a special case for sure. I think Pw6 does something special with it to make sure your launch line is correct because it is complicated. Other than that when you mix in the million other mods it works out really well and handles dependencies etc.

Having said that Six Updater and Pw6 are probably 2 of the most unintuitive programs ever written for Windows. So on that level they are almost impossible to understand and use effectively.

As for Steam Workshop I wasn't sure if it was setup to handle mods. I thought it was only for missions but if it is for mods then yes, probably won't be needed down the road. Anyone on Dev branch and familiar with Steam Workshop have an answer for this?

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Bolded is what is missing. It should be noted that AiA is an exception in what it does versus conventional mods.

Not 100% sure what this means after re-reading it a number of times. Are you saying Masharra that Steam Workshop will not support mods? That was my impression but I wasn't sure.

Having said that Six Updater and Pw6 are probably 2 of the most unintuitive programs ever written for Windows. So on that level they are almost impossible to understand and use effectively.

My thoughts exactly, and it wasn't just because of AiA. Just getting the thing set up was painful.

As for Steam Workshop I wasn't sure if it was setup to handle mods. I thought it was only for missions but if it is for mods then yes, probably won't be needed down the road. Anyone on Dev branch and familiar with Steam Workshop have an answer for this?

At the moment Steam only supports missions. I'm no expert on the topic but as I understand it there are issues which prevent them from extending to mods. I believe BI have noted that they are working to get this resolved. I'm not sure what the time frame for this is though

Edited by pomigit

Very true. SU is rather obtuse with buttons upon tabs and sublists and a myriad of information that's not necessarily important. But it's a very very powerful management tool and it's automatic updater with distributed fileserver back-end is indispensable for a lot of arma communities.

Pw6 is a lot less hassle than SU is since it removed a lot of the clutter and made it more image and wizard based while keeping the infrastructure. The UI is still far from prefect (I keep closing the program all the time when I try to back out of a menu) but it's slightly easier to comprehend. I'm willing to bet that coordinated multiplayer would not have lasted this long if it were not for Yoma and Sickboy setting this up.

My thoughts exactly, and it wasn't just because of AiA. Just getting the thing set up was painful.

At the moment Steam only supports missions. I'm no expert on the topic but as I understand it there are issues which prevent them from extending to mods. I believe BI have noted that they are working to get this resolved. I'm not sure what the time frame for this is though

Steam workshop will not solve anything by itself for people who like to play multiplayer. If BIS does not integrate the workshop solution into the serverbrowser with the option to automatically download it's just the same problem. Players will still have to manually subscribe to every mod, just from the workshop IF it's creator even put it on there. With pw6 the program will grab any required mods before launching and joining the server so you won't have to worry about it. Steam workshop can't do this (yet?).

Edited by L3TUC3

I'm sure you have your reasons, but as a pw6 user myself, it's a real boon to organize, update and launch mods and addons from it. Especially if the addon collection grows in size and it becomes a hassle to hunt every single one down to it's forum post, website or download page. But it's most beneficial if you play a lot of multiplayer.

When a mod gets updated,99,9% of the time it will be on Armaholic.The guys there do a very good job and throughout the years I always relied on that site for updates.You don't need to check it everyday,you choose a category(for example A3 mods) and it will show you the news of what was released or updated.

Very true. SU is rather obtuse with buttons upon tabs and sublists and a myriad of information that's not necessarily important. But it's a very very powerful management tool and it's automatic updater with distributed fileserver back-end is indispensable for a lot of arma communities.

Pw6 is a lot less hassle than SU is since it removed a lot of the clutter and made it more image and wizard based while keeping the infrastructure. The UI is still far from prefect (I keep closing the program all the time when I try to back out of a menu) but it's slightly easier to comprehend. I'm willing to bet that coordinated multiplayer would not have lasted this long if it were not for Yoma and Sickboy setting this up.

Agreed, but it is still absolutely horrendous. It took me ages to figure out how to create my own modset. I almost gave up on it.

I haven't yet figured out how to add a mod that does not exist in the repository to my modset however like one was able to do in SU. This is very annoying and prevents me from using Pw6 in most cases. Of course, it is probably possible but good luck ever figuring it out without someone pointing out exactly how to do it.

Steam workshop will not solve anything by itself for people who like to play multiplayer. If BIS does not integrate the workshop solution into the serverbrowser with the option to automatically download it's just the same problem. Players will still have to manually subscribe to every mod, just from the workshop IF it's creator even put it on there. With pw6 the program will grab any required mods before launching and joining the server so you won't have to worry about it. Steam workshop can't do this (yet?).

Yeah, I don't think Steam Workshop will come anywhere close to where it needs to be for this kind of thing and therefore making it almost useless to do anything but keep mods up to date. I bet you will never see it pre-requisite mods updated and/or figure out launch lines etc.

Six Updater had ONE button you needed to worry about. Select a profile and only ever click the big yellow button till it's green. How this was ever a problem for people is beyond me. :)

Six Updater had ONE button you needed to worry about. Select a profile and only ever click the big yellow button till it's green. How this was ever a problem for people is beyond me. :)

See, you prove my point. I think you meant preset not profile. Even so, I've never seen a big yellow button. Even if I did I wouldn't know what it meant. What I do know is that I right click on my preset and select the appropriate action. Mostly install or update mods and process bikeys.

I don't want to continue talking about SU and Pw6 in this thread as that is not the primary reason for this thread. I appreciate the great work that went into those programs architecture but I contend and I think 90% of very smart users will say it is one of the most confusing UI's ever created. I was hoping Pw6 would be much improved but seems like it might be worse which I didn't think could be possible.

I haven't yet figured out how to add a mod that does not exist in the repository to my modset however like one was able to do in SU. This is very annoying and prevents me from using Pw6 in most cases. Of course, it is probably possible but good luck ever figuring it out without someone pointing out exactly how to do it.

If you add the mod locally, there will be a "Local" category on the right side of Pw6. You can select your mod from there and add it to your set. That's how I've added most of my A3 mods since most of them aren't in Pw6.

I don't want to continue talking about SU and Pw6 in this thread as that is not the primary reason for this thread
hear! hear! ;)

On another more relevant topic I've got a patch coming shortly. It's pretty much ready to go but I cant get ammo crates to work with my custom uniforms. Keeps throwing a weird missing texture error. Anyone know if this is a bug?

I've added quite a lot of PG uniforms,ballistic vests,helmets and hats to a single crate and it didn't popped any error.

Though I haven't added all of them,only the ones I liked the most so I can't say if one of the uniforms in the mod is problem.