Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Poll - Rather Modern or Futuristic?

Do you prefer modern or futuristic?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer modern or futuristic?

• I like the futuristic choice of ArmA 3
    • I would have prefered current era like ArmA 2 but I will play with futuristic content
    • I will only play with usermade mods/addons because I don't like the futuristic stuff
    • I won't play ArmA 3 because I really can't stand the futuristic choice

yeah, I can get the point here - not to have an overpowered faction against a weaker one, but it's still weird:

IRL, armed forces ARE unbalanced, so I don't really understand the need to make everything being balanced.

What I would have prefered about ArmA 3 would have been new factions - like French Army or Chinese Army or Tsahal or German Army etc...

Amen to that. I am one of those in for a simulation. And as simulations go, new paclahes mean new scenarios and new toys. Think of flight simulators: same game since 2000 and something but the community sells or give for free liveries, planes, avionics, airports, and whole countries' renderings, monthly. I would hqve LOVED and i would gladly having gone broken if i could have bought such addons for ARMA, suck as new weapon packs, new detailed maps, new scenarios, new vehicles and most of all new armies or units with their proper gear and vehicles. Most of these things are left to modders to give to the community for free, but the effort is discontinue as you often find when you stuff for free, and there are problems of compatibility.

By leaving the known world of today for their only known future scenario they missed the chance to make good money from all countries they could have made a DLC from, not only BAF or ACR, but the french the italian the swiss the mexican Australian whatever. By renouncing to this money the only way to profit is to make a brand new game which entails bigger risks and this is what are seeing today.

I am disappointed.

I came to like the near future settings which I wasn't all that fond of at the beginning but I would like to see more present army DLC kind of thing still

I'm really glad that they've taken them game to a near-future setting rather than a present day one. The difference is enough that the new vehicles and weapons are interesting, but are still functionally familiar - I don't see why anybody except the real bores would be upset, the only real difference is the models and skins.

We have lots of games based in World War 2, a smattering in Vietnam, and an entire genre effectively in present day; only one, though is set in a war-torn, Grecian 2035.

Incidentally, there's an interesting comment about how at one point BI considered a Vietnam War-era game but then turned it down... as well as Maruk's own interest in avoiding real-world wars for the sake of creative freedom, as elaborated on here.

As far as I remember the only futuristic vehicle is Ifrit because it's a feasibility study. Blackfoots origin Commanche is dead. Railgun-tank is cancelled. A weapon like a OICW style with camera on HUD for shooting around corners was the least I suspected for a near future theater setting.

I would've preferred the Cold War to modern, and modern to futuristic. Certainly not a fan of all the soulless tacticool equipment in 3, but the better game mechanics make sure that I'll be playing it anyway.

Chernarus was probably the most developed and interesting Bohemia setting, so combining that kind of effort with OFP's pastiche Cold War style would be my dream setup. Maybe next time...

Incidentally, there's an interesting comment about how at one point BI considered a Vietnam War-era game but then turned it down... as well as Maruk's own interest in avoiding real-world wars for the sake of creative freedom, as elaborated on here.

Ouch! Vietnam war would have been really wonderful to see in Arma...

I would've preferred the Cold War to modern, and modern to futuristic. Certainly not a fan of all the soulless tacticool equipment in 3, but the better game mechanics make sure that I'll be playing it anyway.

Chernarus was probably the most developed and interesting Bohemia setting, so combining that kind of effort with OFP's pastiche Cold War style would be my dream setup. Maybe next time...

I share your opinion. Chernarus and the units of it are just something so immersive that I don't know how to describe it here... I haven't played OFP, but I know that it was, and still is a great masterpiece of artwork. Combining those would be something unbelieveable in my opinion as well...

Ouch! Vietnam war would have been really wonderful to see in Arma...
Well, when the CEO's own take is "The only good thing you could do in the game was for the first mission to just leave and go home", I guess that tells you what he thinks of the idea of a Vietnam War game, doesn't it?

Personally I like the setting. Like it has been said, it's futuristic, but still familiar enough. I especially like how the campaign was most likely inspired by the Persian Wars of antiquity (or was, at least, I don't know what the heck it's about now...). Also I'm looking forward to making scenarios about the conflict in the Pacific. Russophobic scenarios and terrorist hunting have been done to death in modern warfare games and also this series (including OFP), it's time to move on.

im against this futuristic scenario but the people has the right to be tired of the same old contraposition: m16 vs ak, m1a1 vs 72 ecc.

the problem is the solution adopted to solve the problem: instead of giving us something real new, like french forces which they have some real interesting vehicle and weapon, german forces, israelian forces, chinese forces and put all of them or part of them inside an hypothetical war west vs east but with new actors, maybe in a new part of the world (middle east...anyone?) they decide for the future. with less vehicles, less jets, less weapons than ever.

i understand the reason for that with disappointment: making new whole factions means working much more than just adding some few and new futuristic stuff. and its also an obstacle for the new bis politic they adopted: making a new game each 2 years max. (or even less).

Edited by *LK1*

im against this futuristic scenario but the people has the right to be tired of the same old contraposition: m16 vs ak, m1a1 vs 72 ecc.

the problem is the solution adopted to solve the problem: instead of giving us something real new, like french forces which they have some real interesting vehicle and weapon, german forces, israelian forces, chinese forces and put all of them or part of them inside an hypothetical war west vs east but with new actors, maybe in a new part of the world (middle east...anyone?) they decide for the future. with less vehicles, less jets, less weapons than ever.

i understand the reason for that with disappointment: making new whole factions means working much more than just adding some few and new futuristic stuff. and its also an obstacle for the new bis politic they adopted: making a new game each 2 years max. (or even less).

The Middle East would hardly be a new setting for an FPS - even Combined Ops had that.

And it doesn't seem to me like the content is particularly lacking compared to vanilla Arma 2, but we're all used to OA, which significantly increased and varied the roster. There's less factions, certainly, but they were mostly reskins anyway. Less vehicles and weapons I'll grant you, although the 'Field Manual' does mention a lot of vehicle variants - Medical AMVs, AA BTR-Ks, air support Mohawks, AA and recovery Panthers, etc - it would be a shame if they weren't put into the game. The lack of jets and tank variety is concerning, I agree, and I feel that the new aquatic environments are severely underdeveloped vehicle wise: we need more submarine types, larger ships, amphibious helicopters and prop-aircraft, submersible UAVs, armed Sea-Scooters, etc.

However, I'd still say the roster isn't particularly low, a bit more weapon variety within factions would be good (recon units could be given special weapons, vehicle crew given smaller carbines, nation-specific underwater weapons and launchers, etc). However, again, it's not significantly less than vanilla Arma 2, if I remember correctly.

I play the vanilla game as long as there are no good replacement mods out there. I hate the futuristic setting but what can you do..

The way the developers of Arma 3 are "balancing" the game by using unreal values for weapons is something I'm shocked about but the mod community will fix that.

Awesome mods will appear for Arma 3 and I can't wait for that. What would have been OFP without ACE.

What would have been OFP without ACE.

ACE appeared with ArmA. It's predecessor was WGL. There are hundreds of mods that make those games what they are, not only uber realistic ones.

Edited by ProfTournesol

I wanna find a way to use my M16/M4 type weaps again. Not really into this whole craptastic future shiz.

I find it somewhat unlikely that they would make a long leap backwards in time, considering that so far their fictional world has only moved forwards. I wonder whether they would return to an era that they've dealth with already (you can only rewrite stuff so many times...).

Also, you just have to love this unargumented future-whining.

In my opinion, the "futuristic" point of Arma 3 is quite wise and I mainly like it; I mean it's not nonsense, mainly modern weapons in service with a few tweaks ( well, the new "hind" goes a bit further, but it could be feasible ), so to me it's great ( the matv for example is takin the place of the hummer in the us army, or the patria ). I would have made non stealth Blackhawk version ( the actual one seems to fit better for night spec ops insertion ). but its fine enough.

The only thing that is really awful to me is the opfor uniform. It even prevents me to make any mission with them, the gadgets in the upper back seem more some kind of "Star Wars" stuff than anything, in fact I'm waiting for the "resistence" faction to use it as opfor in my missions.

I wanna find a way to use my M16/M4 type weaps again. Not really into this whole craptastic future shiz.

Play Counter-Strike.

ACE appeared with ArmA. It's predecessor was WGL. There are hundreds of mods that make those games what they are, not only uber realistic ones.

You gotta love WGL and Furr85 :yay:

anyway

Now besides the fact that I like our current setting in Arma2 it is time for something a little different, personally my focus lies within the engine improvements first and secondly the content as a whole package, what they deliver is in my eyes far from futuristic most if not almost everything exist. I think some people need to be a little more open minded...

There is no indication that no one of our modding community wouldnt do a few efforts to get us some M16's or M4's in Arma3 we have a vast and strong community they can make almost everything and this in a most realistic way.

They can make tanks, light armor, small arms, heavy arms, whole armies and official army gear, fixed and rotor wings, sound modifications etc ...

Let the community do what they have always don, have fun and make stuff ...

So seriously I have no clue why people are jizzing them selves up, like little kids why they are not getting the candy :butbut:

anyway if you ask me bring CWR3 ftw :p

Edited by LiquitHQ