Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Poll - Rather Modern or Futuristic?

Do you prefer modern or futuristic?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer modern or futuristic?

• I like the futuristic choice of ArmA 3
    • I would have prefered current era like ArmA 2 but I will play with futuristic content
    • I will only play with usermade mods/addons because I don't like the futuristic stuff
    • I won't play ArmA 3 because I really can't stand the futuristic choice

Hi.

ArmA 3 is almost out now, and we can already see a lot of mods/addons.

However, ArmA 3 has decided to be futuristic (prototypes, vehicles canceled IRL, new gears/weapons/vehicles etc...) but the community produces modern addons (weapons, units, vehicles etc...) - which means (I think) players prefer current military gear.

So, what's your point of view?

I'm all for it. I'm sick of the same M4's, AK-47's and HMMWV variants that we've played in 100's of different games for many years.

I'm all for it. I'm sick of the same M4's, AK-47's and HMMWV variants that we've played in 100's of different games for many years.

Likewise and from what I've read the devs seem to think the same. I don't mind AKs, M4s, and whatnot, I'd be very happy if the community brings in "modern equipment" as well, but I think it's healthy to see BI go a bit crazy about their own stuff. Even though I think some of the equipment isn't too far off from becoming standard equipment (one form or another). Some of which are already there.

I think they should start futuristic because they can make more realistic futuristic things than modders and then them and the community should collectively start working their way backward but also work the most believable futuristic technologies into the game.

I want the game to span 2013-2045 or so and not be yet another 1920-2013...

So many genius sides to ArmA.

One of the best is its 100% customizable. Anything that ADDS to the game, ADDS to the Game. Love the futuristic theme but play with alot of modern mods added in. One quirk though; if this if semi-futurisitc... the buildings on Stratis are fairly rundown. Hoping some of the Bases, Command Centers, Buildings, etc will reflect that a tad more (maybe?) in final version with Altis.

Took the words right out of my mouth. As much as I like A2/ACE with the hundreds of M4/AK Variants, I really don't think I could live with the same old content for much longer. I think BI using concept/near future tech is still realistic and in the boundaries of a "realistic" game, while at the same time making the "toys" we get to play with cooler looking.

Modern all the way.

I still think Arma 3 would be way better if it was situated in a Cold War/Modern day scenario.

Understandable if their modelers are sick and tired of the M4 variants and humvees, they've been making for the last decade.

I would have preffered modern, but with fictional factions. In the end it doesn't really matter to me, but right now the futuristic stuff isn't convincing imo. The only things that are really futuristic are the skins. The mechanics of weapons and vehicles however are the same. In 2035 I was expecting more advanced mechanics, like Trophy,XM25's,Gunshot detection systems, and some kind of land warrior type system just to name a few.

Without stuff like this I feel that there isn't much point to a futuristic setting. Just having fictional factions would have been good enough (in order to break from traditional m4 vs ak kind of thing.)

But honestly so long as we are slugging lead at each other in a believable way I will be happy.

I find somethings a little ridiculous and stupid.. ala Commanche rename, and Iranian mashup heli (seriously, whose bright idea was that?).

I find somethings a little ridiculous and stupid.. ala Commanche rename, and Iranian mashup heli (seriously, whose bright idea was that?).

It's not the Iranians anymore, they're the "C.S.A.T." now. No more Greeks either, they're "Altians" now. :(

Although, for the life of me, I have no idea what "C.S.A.T." stands for, maybe "Chinese-Shanghai Alliance Team"?

Edited by Laqueesha

Hello there

I'll happily play with the "future" kit as the models are excellent and the gameplay is no different to the arma 2 "modern" armoury.

That for me is the oddest thing. You could pretty much swap out the old kit for the new and the gameplay doesnt (so far) change at all.

Hopefully some electronics kit will come in later releases.

Rgds

LoK

I agree with Olrok. I don't have anything against near-future equipment, but right now there's no gameplay mechanics to back it up. If such things as extended HUD or map positions were connected to some gear on higher difficulty levels and treated as a part of integrated battlefield awareness system, that would be a good start. But to show other advancements, for example HULC exoskeleton, we need to have limitations that they overcome, such as dependancy between carry weight and stamina. It would be nice if APCs could connect to drones for more awareness, or we could have Big Dogs following fireteams and carrying their backpacks, but considering the time left to release date I'm afraid we'll get just some old stuff dressed in futuristic clothes.

I would have prefered current era like ArmA 2 but I will play with futuristic content

However please note this is as far as i will go, add robots or other non realistic stuff, and i'm out of here.... Need keep to stay in touch with reality !!

I agree with Olrok. I don't have anything against near-future equipment, but right now there's no gameplay mechanics to back it up. If such things as extended HUD or map positions were connected to some gear on higher difficulty levels and treated as a part of integrated battlefield awareness system, that would be a good start. But to show other advancements, for example HULC exoskeleton, we need to have limitations that they overcome, such as dependancy between carry weight and stamina. It would be nice if APCs could connect to drones for more awareness, or we could have Big Dogs following fireteams and carrying their backpacks, but considering the time left to release date I'm afraid we'll get just some old stuff dressed in futuristic clothes.

Big Dogs! I completely forgot about them. We need the Big Dog in the game even if I think it's discontinued and replaced by another project in reality because it looks so damn cool and would work in the gameplay.

I agree with this all except for the fact that they chose the Comanche.

Just what we need. More space marines and silly assed zombies.. Simulators SIMULATE, not have nonsense. Realism is key here. Leave that BS for battle Barbie and those non-sim games.. It seems BI has forgotten things like keeping a dev release date, and keeping on the ball. This is two years late as it is, and they are still talking this nonsense? Release Altis and let us in the mod community make the rest. We always have to fix your bugged out program anyway. It is a damn shame to have dorks ruin something this good..

I think that the Arma series is a war simulator. Always it was it. The future is for series Halo, Star Wars battlefront, Ghost Recon ........ The futuristic stuff is for other types of games. I can't play with the new weapons and new vehicles because is too fake. When I'm playing, I need to see a real contemporary battlefield, because I need to feel this reality. This is war. I want play with a war simulator real, because if I want to be a Jedi Knight and fight in the moon of Endor, would play another type of game. But I just want to be a contemporary soldier on a battlefield. Arma series always gave me that feeling and now with its new policy for the future, I feel that I will not have that feeling with this Arma 3. And my choice will be playing with mods.

(Sorry for my English, but it is not my native language.)

Edited by chinche

My sentiments exactly.

I love A2 because it's a game which allows us to recreate real operations and make us able to "BE" like a guy on the battlefield - means we use REAL weapons, we can call the same planes or choppers for CAS as the real ones in Iraq or Afghanistan etc...

It won't be possible with ArmA 3 (or only with mods).

Can't understand all this whining. Nearly all of the shown weaponsystems are already in use and not "futuristic"!

Look at Project Felin (France), Future Soldier (Nato), Infantrist der Zukunft (Germany) and many more.

We are not talking about pew pew lasers or rail guns.

My sentiments exactly.

I love A2 because it's a game which allows us to recreate real operations and make us able to "BE" like a guy on the battlefield - means we use REAL weapons, we can call the same planes or choppers for CAS as the real ones in Iraq or Afghanistan etc...

It won't be possible with ArmA 3 (or only with mods).

Perhaps we'll see some retro content thru DLC packs down the road.

As for mods..., what's A2 without mods?

We can expect rich content from mods in A3 --just as we enjoy playing in A2 now.

I'd just ask Bis to give modders all the tools and support they need for us to play.

I'm looking forward to I44 --'cause real men shoot with iron-sights.

Hello there

It's not often someone agrees with me!

"Droids" such as "big dogs" and even the mini heli's we had in the PMC Dlc would spice up the battlefield.

yes, we can wait for mods to "add all the things" but it would be nice to see some electronic warfare incorporated into the vanilla game.

In fact I was surprised at the lack of it in Arma 2.

Don't get me wrong, I adore A2 and will play A3 for a long time to come, but it just feels the same so far.

Rgds

LoK

I think that the Arma series is a war simulator. Always it was it.

Arma series is a video game before anything else.

I feel that I will not have that feeling with this Arma 3. And my choice will be playing with mods.

At least you might have options.

My sentiments exactly.

Aren't you a bit bored with the same iraq/afghanistan etc type of conflicts already? Just asking, no irony here.

oh, and why the need to use "us and we" when you obviously talking about your own self?