Sign in to follow this  
Proctoron

Low farmerate on my Island

Hi folks.

So i have a 10240 by 10240 island based on an area on Earth, and 10m cells, and i have been working on the satmap latley, at the moment mostly just copying real life maptextures on it, and started finetuning it on a few areas on the map and it all looks quite ok to me. (for 5 months now i have just had a plain greenish satmap)

However, when fiering up the game, i get a framerate of around 12-15, while on the cherno map, i have around 30.

What influences the framerates on maps? by using 10m cells, i was hoping to get a better framerate than this, as i read that lower cells size lowers the framerate you can achieve.

Searching on the forums, comes up with a lot of hits from guys who are playing the game, but not making a map for the game.

My suspicion is that the issue is with the satmap, but i am not sure, when i boot up takistan i get like 40-50 (cant remember atm) So far i have only one clutter as well (for the grassy areas)

And, will the framerates when testing in the editor mirror the framerates you get in game?

Many things can influence the frames. Such as huge forests or dense cities, places with many objects. What size is your satmap. If you go larger like say 20480 for double the resolution that will also negatively impact frame rates.

Allright, well, my satmap is 10240 as well, so should be allright i guess, and so far i dont have huge forests or dense cities, got around 38k of objects so far on the map and i believe that is not a lot at all.

There is a few things i am suppicious at, like i have a lot of streetlights atm as i have been using them for road referencebefore i had a better satmap, and were wondering if too many colours on my satmap had something to do with it as well, so trying to make it more uniform.

Will continue to improve the sat map, and remove the streetlights, maybe not make the forests as dense as i have them now, and my mask is just a copy of the satmap atm and is working on that as well as i am placing more objects around the map (can the mask cause something?)

Thank M1lm8n for the reply.

Are you using any particular addons like mbg buildings? I had the same issue when i placed many of them in one spot altogether.

If the problem is persistent anywhere on the map anyway i don't think it's that, the problem i had was just on that particular point on the map, elsewhere the map was running smoothly.

Edited by Chairborne

Lags with 10240 SatMap and only few objects should not occur.

Did you check in BinPbo under "options", "List of files to copy directly", to include the *rvmat? Unbinarized rvmats could cause lags, if I remeber correctly.

Lags with 10240 SatMap and only few objects should not occur.

Did you check in BinPbo under "options", "List of files to copy directly", to include the *rvmat? Unbinarized rvmats could cause lags, if I remeber correctly.

Momo is exactly right! I forgot about that. I resently was messing around and created a small 1000m map and left the rvmats unbinarized just to see what would happen and the map was so laggy it took like two minutes just for my character to turn around.

Under binpbos options make sure *.rvmat is NOT among this list of files to copy directly.

A few tips here and thanks for that folks.

Checked the *.rvmat and that is all good, and yes i am using mbg buildings and i have placed on one spot of the map all the buildings placed togheter for reference when i am placing objects to find the most suited quickly.

But there must have been something else going on in the background on my computer at home when i tested, because when i tested now on my laptop i had framerates ranging from 35-50, (except when flying over my reference buildings i was down to 20)

That made me pretty happy i can tell you, i can now continue on my work without worrying that something is horribly wrong this early in the project.

Now i just have to start to figure out how to increase my ground textures from 4 to 6, but after two days of browsing forums and feeling a bit stupid for not understanding, i decided to just do 4 for now, and get back to that later at some point, hehe

Thanks guys!