Sign in to follow this  
Major_brause

Base building on Mars?

Hey guys! I think it would be nice to implement some kind of simple base construction in the game. Maybe as a goal in the campaign or something. The base module could have a possibillity to repair a damaged rover or refit them if needed. Therefore the player has to manually operate some kind of robot arm which can replace the damaged modules so that the benefit of the base comes with a challange for the player.

Interesting idea, though it would be more interesting to see it for people, a colony if you will. This is doable, but certainly not within the upcoming release date. A colony addon is of course possible, though I would predict at least 2 to 3 months of work. More if you were planning on making it deep and interesting.

Maybe the first step could be the implementation of a remote outpost which is not operated by humans. So first you have to plan the mission which sends the basic module which could be improved through further missions. Those upgrades can enable the player to do more complicated missions to earn the money for upgrade modules. And maybe those upgrade modules consist of 2 or 3 submodules which can be choosen by the player, so u have to be creative and smart to get your outpost running on Mars.

Hello there

The "Mars Direct" plan is similar to this and is one of the most efficient and economic ways of getting to Mars AFAIK, but as Dram says is out of the immediate scope for this release.

I want to colony build though.

I want it a lot!

Rgds

LoK

Please do consider 3D printing as a method to create tools and bases. Manufacturing tools of steel is already possible today and ceramics for use on the moon or mars with the available sand is researched by several universities. It's a matter of time before NASA or its private subcontractors will carry the knowledge out for use.

Please do consider 3D printing as a method to create tools and bases. Manufacturing tools of steel is already possible today and ceramics for use on the moon or mars with the available sand is researched by several universities. It's a matter of time before NASA or its private subcontractors will carry the knowledge out for use.

Interesting concept. As I said before however, there is just no time to complete something like this prior to release. That being said, a modification of this sort is very possible

I like the idea :) and i woud love that in some future DLC woud be possible to start building base on mars

and i have one question myself "Is there life on mars???" :)

Hello there

i think the Mars One project has some plans for plastics manufacturing on mars once a mini colony is set up and one assumes 3d printing will be involved in the process somewhere along the line.

I also wonder if microscopic life will be findable in the vanilla game?

Rdgs

LoK

Hello there

i think the Mars One project has some plans for plastics manufacturing on mars once a mini colony is set up and one assumes 3d printing will be involved in the process somewhere along the line.

Rdgs

LoK

Hi, when I asked Dram a while back regarding similar question I got the following:

Chemical/spectral/etc analyses will return realistic data, so there is that educational factor there. Regarding life, that I don't want to go into too much detail, but you won't incrementally find signs of life, it will more be part of a mission. The missions themselves are aimed at scientific research, so expect to do that which Curiosity and Opportunity do on Mars.

Hello there

Thanks for that, I though had seen something along those lines but my ageing addled brain forgot it. Ta for the refresher!

Rgds

LoK

I like the idea of the initial remote mission as a precursor to the manned mission. Determining the best locations to establish a colony through sampling several different locations using the rovers instruments.

Subsurface water ice, calcium,CO2 ice and other substances important to establishing a colony can be catalogued and a "resource map" can be put together.

The idea of a colony is great!

...and i have one question myself "Is there life on mars???" :)

My Planetology professor once told us "The easiest way to find life on Mars would be to send life there." ;)

Hello there

Rdgs

LoK

The only problem I see on using polymers as tools or functional construction parts on mars are the low temperatures. Polymers become glass like brittle at these temperatures and lose their mechanical properties. For inside of a base with stable room temperature - no problem!

Establish a small colony will be really great.Manage hydroponics,research projects,base& equipment maintainance.Right now I'm not too interested in ToM,but if something like that would pop up either as an add-on or community made I'll put some paper on it pronto.

Just don't add prothean ruins dlc.:tounge_o: