Sign in to follow this  
dragon01

Some thoughts on reloading

I've been playing beta for a while and noticed gross inaccuracies in the weapon reloading system. Thus, I'm making a "general reloading thread" for related issues.

So, my thoughts on this:

1. Rifles

The most obvious problem is that even with closed bolt weapons, there's no round left in the chamber, even when it should be. I found there's already a ticket about it: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=625

Now, here's my proposition of improving on this. The reload would have two animations (empty and full chamber) and a separate button for the cocking handle. So, in order to reload with:

-Empty mag. A new "quick reload" anim: Press the mag release and reach for a new mag at the same time, then quckly slam the new mag in place. If there isn't a round chambered, cock the gun.

-Not-empty mag. Pretty much what we have now, except with a bit smoother anim. When reloading a different type of ammo, you might cock the gun and waste the unfired round in order to have the new ammo ready.

That would be a quite flexible system, allowing quick reload on an empty mag, while also neatly solving the problem of reloading different ammo and adding to immersion somewhat. The button for cocking the gun would be great for any bolt-action rifles, shotguns and revolvers that might find their way into ArmA, as an added bonus.

2. Vehicles

Well, right now, the system doesn't exist. You obviously can reload vehicle mounted weapons IRL. In AII, changing the mag on a tank-mounted HMG was done by some mystical means, not by turning out and replacing it.

My solution would be:

A player can reload a vehicle mounted weapon if manning it by hand, or by coming close to it from the outside. The spare mag has to be in his inventory. If manning the weapon, it's reloaded with "r", like any handheld gun. If not, it's reloaded via action menu. Vehicles would carry spare mags, so if you're manning the weapon, you can pick up a mag for it from the vehicle cargo like any other object. If you happen to be an MG gunner/ammo carrier, you could also use your own mags if the weapon is compatible.

You know how much of this I think will make it into the final game? ZERO.

You know how much of this I think will make it into the final game? ZERO.

you know how useful your comment is? below 9000

it is good that ppls suggest things like this so that devs can see more what they missed out on.

beta is here to discuss stuff like this hkflash

it is good that ppls suggest things like this so that devs can see more what they missed out on.

You are right, I will create a thread about shooting from vehicles, they probably just missed that too.

or

Seems you missed A1 and A2 and pre-A3 and the whole wishlist thread.

so what? if he makes a thread and says that there is something missing, maybe the devs look on it and say hmm, that is actually not such a bad idea, lets try to implement it this time. if you are going to be a negative douche to flame someones post go away pls

so what? if he makes a thread and says that there is something missing, maybe the devs look on it and say hmm, that is actually not such a bad idea, lets try to implement it this time. if you are going to be a negative douche to flame someones post go away pls

He has a point though, there is a dedicated thread for community wishes. It wouldn't be fair for someone to make a completely new thread about their wish when everyone else follows the rules and posts in the right thread.

you know how useful your comment is? below 9000

And how useful is yours? You are not even informed of what developers said in respect to the features that Dragon01 is requesting. Perhaps you should inform yourself better? Use the search function?

The developers didn't miss anything because these features have already been requested. Again, a good use of google or the forum search button will help you know that.

I think I, after playing videogames for 19 years and participating in multiple beta phases and even a closed alpha phase, know exactly what a beta entails.

Regards

And how useful is yours? You are not even informed of what developers said in respect to the features that Dragon01 is requesting. Perhaps you should inform yourself better? Use the search function?

The developers didn't miss anything because these features have already been requested. Again, a good use of google or the forum search button will help you know that.

I think I, after playing videogames for 19 years and participating in multiple beta phases and even a closed alpha phase, know exactly what a beta entails.

Regards

cool story bro..but you see, another post from you where you do the same as your first one. first you start to derail the topic train then when someone comments you go in for a full attack for a flame war

cool story bro..but you see, another post from you where you do the same as your first one. first you start to derail the topic train then when someone comments you go in for a full attack for a flame war

If I'm having such a bad attitude then why didn't I get moderated? Ah yes, because I'm actually behaving properly. I didn't disrespect anyone, I simply stated the reality to prevent people from getting their hopes up.

Actually, I'd like to point out that ArmA3 Beta isn't a beta at all. It's an alpha, beta being (by definition) a feature-complete product that can still have issues in it. The AIII "Beta" is, in it's current state feature-incomplete, as stated by BI. Half the content isn't even in, not to mention the missions (and something tells me they won't release the actual beta, missions and all, to us). There will be new content, and gameplay mechanics can be changed as well, which is what I'm proposing.

He has a point though, there is a dedicated thread for community wishes. It wouldn't be fair for someone to make a completely new thread about their wish when everyone else follows the rules and posts in the right thread.

This is not about "my wish". This is about a rather complex problem with an existing system. Right now, the machinegunner seems to have a strange compulsion to pull a nonexistent belt out of his MG and put it back in the empty ammo box on each reload (recently noticed that, so it's not in the first post). This is obviously a bug, but at the same time, a symptom of a much bigger problem. So I've made a thread to have a place to discuss this bigger problem. The second point is to address the inaccuracy (read: the fact it's next-to-nonexistant) of the vehicle reloading system. I did include some proposition about how to improve the existing system, but they're probably imperfect, thus I wanted to get feedback on them, and perhaps some constructive discussion on how to further improve the system. And what I get? A heckler and a doomsayer. :) BI devs do check those forums, you know? Oh, and I did search the forums, there isn't really anything that would discuss this particular issue in such detail.

You're right about more content and missions, but your probably not going to see any major gameplay feature changes.

I would love to see a complex reloading option. (difficulty/option setting)

Several button pushes. One for each animation and stage [gaming pad]:

[O]-Eject clip, [holdLB1]-Grab new clip, [holdLB2]-Slam into weapon,

[LStick back]-Cock back, [LStick release]-Chambered!

Sgt: "Reloading!" Eject-->Grab-->Slam-->Cock. *Chicsk Chicsk* :coop:

--------

Wishlist:

Thread is inefficient. Series of just posts hundreds of pages long.

Too hard to have dialog/feedback/mod-options/etc.

Edited by Goblin

I think that this would be a bit too complicated. A real trooper would've had this as an instinct, so two buttons for reloading make more sense.

I would vouch for a reloading system similar to Red Orchestra 2, where if you held down your reloading key, your character would check the ammo left in the magazine and give "Full" - "Almost Full - "Half-Full" - "Almost Empty" and so forth. And if you just simply tapped "reload", you reloaded your magazine. I believe if BI implemented a system similar to this it would remove the need for an ammo count in the HUD and increase immersion.

I think every idea is a good idea even know, it might not will be implemented in ARMA 3,

but perhaps in ARMA 4.

and I know for ''sure'' ARMA 4 is coming too :-)!

I would vouch for a reloading system similar to Red Orchestra 2, where if you held down your reloading key, your character would check the ammo left in the magazine and give "Full" - "Almost Full - "Half-Full" - "Almost Empty" and so forth. And if you just simply tapped "reload", you reloaded your magazine. I believe if BI implemented a system similar to this it would remove the need for an ammo count in the HUD and increase immersion.

ACE did something like that. It would tell you how heavy the magazine feels. It'd be nice if ArmA had something like that, but then, you'd also have to account for the fact some magazines are transparent, so you can actually count the bullets (can ArmA3 show the bullets left in the mag? I'm not sure if there any transparent mags in game yet).