Sign in to follow this  
Holden93

sideChat name

Hey guys,

I'd like to show the unit's name when sideChat is used, for example I have a unit called "unit1", and when sideChat is shown I'd like to see "Unit1: message", I don't like to write unit's name everytime I use it.

I'm already using setIdentity, but it doesn't work, any tips?

I know that, the problem is that I'm the squad leader of the group (Actual 1-3) and when a member of the squad talks it's shown Actual 1-3, not the guy's name.

I know that, the problem is that I'm the squad leader of the group (Actual 1-3) and when a member of the squad talks it's shown Actual 1-3, not the guy's name.

Just use a game logic instead of the unit itself. Game Logics accept the same commands as normal units.

I'll try, thanks for the help.

EDIT:I tried, but sideChat now doesn't appear...

Edited by Holden93

The gamelogic way, I called one adams, in its init line i wrote this setGroupId ["Adams"] and when i go to the trigger the message doesn't pop up, I tried with global chat and everything works fine but no unit's name yet...

I checked it now, so there's no real way to show the name automatically without writing it? Thanks for the help anyway.

I checked it now, so there's no real way to show the name automatically without writing it? Thanks for the help anyway.

No. Not when using GameLogics.

Why not just have a unit somewhere in the corner of the map setGroupID'd to Adams or whatever and use that to sideChat when you want the name.

Of course it does. There might be some fleeting error with a daily beta dev build, but sideChat works just fine.

Of course it does. There might be some fleeting error with a daily beta dev build, but sideChat works just fine.

Well probably but its been more than a few days :mad:

:p

So apparently you must now add ShowChat True for Sidechat to show :confused:

That just displays the whole window. I've been running Dev build at work and stable at home and been using sideChat for debugging and haven't had problems. Not sure why it's not working for you. :(

Really? Jeez, I thought everyone was experiencing this...It hasn't been working period (even in BIS missions) until recently I downloaded mission Clever Girl and noticed it was working. I ripped it open and saw he has the Showchat True in all of his conversations. Added it to my own mission -and it now works. I must be taking crazy pills...

Edited by froggyluv

You could use format, so you won't have to type in the name everytime. I have in one of my scripts for cutscenes:

titletext [format ["%1: Hey, Macarena!", (name _speaker)],"PLAIN DOWN"]

Or with sidechat:

_speaker sideChat format ["%1: Hey, Macarena!", (name _speaker)]

However, it will look like:

Alpha-1-1:"Peter: Hey, Macarena!"

So this solution is not perfect.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys,

I'd like to show the unit's name when sideChat is used, for example I have a unit called "unit1", and when sideChat is shown I'd like to see "Unit1: message", I don't like to write unit's name everytime I use it.

I'm already using setIdentity, but it doesn't work, any tips?

Go to Modules, select group modifiers and pick the one named 'Callsign'. Sync this one to the unit named "unit1". Double click on the module, there you have a line called "Custom Callsign". Type in the units name (in this case, unit1) Done!

Why not just have a unit somewhere in the corner of the map setGroupID'd to Adams or whatever and use that to sideChat when you want the name.

This is what I do in my missions, and my suggestion if you can't get the Module working.

Also, sideChat most certainly works. I run stable, so perhaps yes there was a Dev Build issue. However, check out your Configure > Game settings. You'll see "Streamer Friendly UI". This must be Disabled. If it already is, give it a toggle on then off. Ingame, do this key combo: L SHIFT + L CTRL + C. Then type something in sideChat (thats the default hotkey to enable/disable text chat).