Sign in to follow this  
Whyte_Out

RVMAT's help

I have a few questions as to how to use RVMAT's. I don't have the slightest idea how to use them. I have my model of a shemag I made, but I am unsure how RVmats and such work. I have been searching the web, but from what I am able to read doesn't really tell me what they do or how they work. I would just like to know do I need an RVMAT for my shemag or a spectecular or w.e they are called?

Hi man, I think this might give you an basic idea, and even more information - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?86018-RVMAT-basics-(SuperShader-MultiMaterial-SkinShader-Procedural-etc)

rvmat will give you an opportunity to have a lover poly model, and archiving more detail with different texture layers (like fabric or other material imitation can be done by _nohq texture layer, your _smdi texture will tell the game engine how much light to reflect from the model/material). Probably opening some of the sample in game rvmat's can explain it as well. For a quality model [you will need it for sure]. it's not as difficult as it seams in the beginning to understand. Idea is different textures used as layers on same face (model) and linked with rvmat file, with all the information about them. Does that makes sense?

Also please search the forums first, before posting.

John

Edited by John_Spartan

Thanks for the response, and I did search the web for info. but like I stated it doesnt really tell you how to apply them or when to. Just a bunch of script stuff..

Example:

texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,1,1)";

ummm...ok now what lol where do I put that? what does it do, point made searching the web for this stuff not much info. on how to apply it or what it even does. Sorry but I am fairly new to the modding myself so I would just like to understand how to apply the stuff. I managed to get my model of shemag in game no problems because I understand it, so I know once I understand this stuff it will be ok but having a hard time on these RVMATS. How do I make just a basic cloth rvmat?

ok, let's simplify stuff for you. I will share an example from my own project.

1. So first make sure you have all the latest BIS tools for Arma 2 installed. What we need is working rvmat editor. [can be done as simple text file edit but for beginner it's probably easier with this interface]

2. you have to have a set of textures ready to be 'merged' so your normal map [basic texture], your _NOHQ normal map high quality [bump map texture] and _smdi specular map

I have prepared a sample rvmat and set of textures for a similar material [us soldiers uniform from OA] download here. Rvmat is applied to texture as whole, so your _smdi and _nohq textures are the same size as normal ones.

3. After you have your textures set up, just double click on that sample rvmat and when open edit the texture paths to match your project folder.

4. in oxygen you have to add rvmat to a faces that will be using this material. So select faces, press "E" and under base normal texture you have one more window to assign rvmat. So type in full path and name of your rvmat.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b531/John_Rybeck/tut_2_zpsd674ca3f.jpg (110 kB)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b531/John_Rybeck/tut_1_zps244b00c5.jpg (103 kB)

that's it make a pbo and you can see your work in game

All that information on the links I posted earlier already explains how and what can be tweaked in case a default rvmats are not what you are after.

Does this explains it better mate.

Edited by John_Spartan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response, and I did search the web for info. but like I stated it doesnt really tell you how to apply them or when to. Just a bunch of script stuff..

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

sorry for the duplicate post man, I will try this in a few when I get home its much appreciated seems easy enough. Sorry, I reread my last post didn't mean to come off as a dick my apologies. Thanks again.

No prob, there are more than few good texturing tutorials, that's also helpful since most of them contain all this in simple language. Just take your time to read them, and always remember there is Arma 1 sample models and source available to see what's what [A1 and A2 are backvards compatible]

Edited by John_Spartan

can't download the link for the example texture RVMAT. I just noticed it lol. sorry.

I have a question about how to make the single rvmat file for a texture with different stuff included. for instance, in a single basic texture, there are helmet, bottle, belt, spade and soldier's camo clothes,etc. I found in some sample rvmat files, they just used a single file to show all of these different material stuff. But when I tried to do by myself, even based on their original sample, I saw the soldier body became very bright. I'm not sure why it happened.

rvmats help define some surface characteristics of your model. They can suggest sub-polygon surface detail, the amount of light a model reflects, the glossiness of it, its index of refraction, and all kinds of other stuff.

rvmats work in concert with the diffuse map and the other maps that are referred to by the rvmat to give you the look you're going for. Accordingly, an rvmat will be tuned to get the most out of the maps it's being shown with. If you are using someone's rvmat and the values of your smdi map are different, for instance, then the specular properties of your model will be all messed up. This is even a problem when reskinning using hidden selections. If your diffuse map is dark and the original is light, for instance, the specular properties that are tuned to the lighter diffuse map will over power the darker one, causing it to look shiny and weird.

To apply an rvmat, select the faces you wish to apply it it in o2, then press e. There you will see two fields in the bottom right hand corner of the face properties dialogue that opens. The lower of the two is the material assignment for the selected faces. There you can browse to your rvmat.

Edited by Max Power

Many thanks for your explanation, Max! I would have a retry.

And also another question for help, I found in some rvmat files, they used .as textures and some dont. What is the usage of .as texture in a rvmat and how could it be made, just like being done for Smdi texture in TexViewer?

Whyte, here are another two links one from A2 other from A3 so you can understand how similar the setup is and why moust of A2 tutorials will get you to your answers.

A2 sample textures with rvmat's

A3 sample textures with rvmat's

Hello, I am probably a little late on this thread but @john_spartan do you think there's anyway I could get a new download link to the sample rvmat files? Im having a hard time finding some and this is the only place ive found with info i need. (because of rapidshare's shutdown)

@sirbuba3 - the links I manage to find and link to you previously were stuff done by other community developers who do gear/characters. So if it's gone it's gone, just google ARMA 2 sample models, or look in to ARMA 3 SAMPLES for good examples.

On steam you can subscribe to Arma 3 tools and samples - that's a good start.