Sign in to follow this  
cybrid

The best rock band

Dude, I thought Metallica was cool, and then they turn into spoiled rich rock stars who go insane if they dont get royalties every time someone hums one of their songs

I'm not sure if many ppl have heard of these groups cause not many ppl in my circles have heard of them:

muse

portishead

cruel sea

and then there are ones everyone knows of:

prodigy (not rock, still really really good)

System of down

tool

korn

Does anyone else here REALLY hate the Dave Matthews Band? They seriously piss me off! All their songs sound the same and shitty. BOO! mad.gif

I would say System of a Down, they may have become more commercial but i can't hate such an amazing band, considering their first album is one of the best metal albuyms ever made, and that they all seem like nice guys and Serj has facial hair (and is the best vocalist in music imho)

Prodigy are good as well, they're the only dance type band i like, i haven't heard their new album, but i got 3 others and they all kick rear

I would say KoRn but not only has their comeback sucked ass but i'm not really into their old music anymore.

Will Haven have always kicked ass and are probably one of my favorite bands.

And i'm afraid i have to say Slipknot. Even though they've sold out spectacularily, the music itself is great, apart from the more commercial tracks, their first albums are still classics.

Beenie man (ragga), but thats no rock band.pffffff...

i'll take deus (belgium rockband) than. Or the ramones... there still 2 man alive.

Anyone here like industrial music, its my other favorite kind of music, and NIN rules!!! (just check out my signature)

I love when people say that bands sold out. Its great stuff. Let me ask you this, why do you think they "sold out". In your opinion, what is the exact definition. From waht i see, here is what happens when people say a band "sold out".

Well, lets start slow. A band, lets say Slipknot, as someone just said, they sold out. Lets check out their short lived career. I am, first off, a fan. The release their first album, full of angerd guitars, pounding bass lines, and furious drums. It was an album like no one ever heard before. And before someone says, Slipknot are just a bunch of early 20 morons that supposedly have fake anger, they are all over 30, if not over 35 or so. Back to the album, they release an album like no other ever before. And they start to tour more heavily, other then ozzfest, and bring it to a wider audience. After a nice little wait, they make another album. What does it have on it? Angered guitars, pounding bass lines, and furious drums. It was an extension of their first album, which avoided them from the sophmore jinx as so many bands have come upon. So i ask you, where did they sell out? Hmm...because they have a video on MTV that barely gets played? Possibly because they got out of 300 person clubs and started playing for tens of thousands of people?

I'm in a band, and if i had the chance to release a major album and make millions of dollars, and play for thousands of people, as opposed to 200-400 people, then i would. Would i be selling out? HELL NO!!! I'd be making a living at what i love to do. It jsut so happens that it pays well. But according to small minded fools, doing all this is selling out. Because they have to pay an extra $20 for a ticket to their concert.

Another example, and better, is KoRn. I am HUGE fan of their old stuff, and love the new stuff. Their music is so powerful its ridiculous. And thats what i love. But once their self-titled debut came out, they made it big. And because they made some TRL appearences and released tons of awsome videos, made millions, and also play for thousands upon thousands of people every other night, they sold out? Thats just dumb.

Lets take this example and make it a little more fitting for this board. Ok, so BIS make a little game called Operation Flashpoint. They LOVE to model, program and create things on computers. They finally find a company to release the game for them (we all know that little mistake biggrin.gif). And it gets released, its an instant hit. We have seen what some of the guys have made before, atari games. So, because they released this game, made tons of money, and had their hard work shown to millions of people, they sold out? Because what they love to do was shown to more then a few hundred people, THEY SOLD OUT!?!?!? Come on people, if you sold Hondas all your life, then got the chance to sell Ferrari's forever and make tons of commision, would you not do it? Or would you keep selling hondas for prides sake? come on people, think before you say someone sold out. You are not in their shoes, you do not know how it works. The music business is a bitch, and its alot harder then it seems. There are hundreds or GREAT bands out there, that won't, and will never get a record deal. And you know they want it. If they were offered one, they would all take it, you know why? Because its what they love to do and they can get paid for it. Sold out? Think again people......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Aug. 03 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I love when people say that bands sold out. Its great stuff. Let me ask you this, why do you think they "sold out". In your opinion, what is the exact definition. From waht i see, here is what happens when people say a band "sold out".

<<SNIP>>

Sold out? Think again people......<span id='postcolor'>

Bravo PDS!

That's the best comment I have ever seen on the whole 'selling out' phenomenon. I've always laughed at garage band guys who whinge about thier favourote band becoming 'sell outs' because they are successful. And you know what I chalk it up to? Envy. biggrin.gif

I enjoy listening to older music like (please do shut the *beep* up if you're not going to do anything else but nag about this) Nirvana and stuff like that. There also are some nice Belgian groups that pro'ly nobody knows but they have some nice songs too.

I don't listen to rock very much, basically because i can't seem to find any really good groups, most groups make a couple good songs but after a while they seem "burned out".

Oh and Bob Marley all the way, love his music, not rock but it sure is nice music.

Best Bands that are no more:

Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine

Smashing Pumpkins

Pink Floyd

Best Bands now:

System of a Down <-fave

Mathew Good Band

The Offspring (even though I've mostly hated the stuff after Ixnay on the Hombre, that CD and all the ones before are great. "Self Esteem" is IMHO the ultimate punk rock song.)

Pearl Jam

Pennywise

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Aug. 04 2002,02:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine<span id='postcolor'>

Bleeding shame that those two are gone sad.gif

THey had their own, distinct sound sad.gif

Rage against the machine had a distinct sound? I haven't heard alot of their music but didn't they just play a few guitar chords as loud as possible and then yell in the microphone like most punk rock bands?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And you know what I chalk it up to? Envy. <span id='postcolor'>

Indeed, that is what most of it is about. And also that other people, that may not be in the same musical "group" as them may listen to a few songs. Pretty retarded if you ask me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bleeding shame that those two are gone

THey had their own, distinct sound <span id='postcolor'>

Indeed, quite a loss. sad.gif The remaining members of Rage Against the Machine and Chris Cornell from Soundgarden (another awesome band no longer together) went into the studio and recorded a CD. I heard it was some great stuff. They were supposed to be at this years Ozzfest, but they broke up after recording the cd.  confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rage against the machine had a distinct sound? I haven't heard alot of their music but didn't they just play a few guitar chords as loud as possible and then yell in the microphone like most punk rock bands?<span id='postcolor'>

Uneducated answer there buddy. Tom Morellos guitar stylings were like those of NO OTHER. And i mean that, not one guitar player ever has had a style like his....NEVER. He made the craziest sounds with a guitar, a few pedals, and tapping on the pickups. Crazy guy that Tom Morello. Granted, being a guitar player, i noticed alot of his main chorus riffs, the heavier ones, were pretty simple. But the other stuff he did in the other parts of the song made up for it immensley.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Aug. 04 2002,04:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Rage against the machine had a distinct sound? I haven't heard alot of their music but didn't they just play a few guitar chords as loud as possible and then yell in the microphone like most punk rock bands?<span id='postcolor'>

Arhg! Blasphemy!

The two main things that separated Rage from other similar bands was:

1) Zach De La Rocha's lyrics and especially his performing of them. I'm not talking about the actual text, but the rythm and the intonation.

2) Tom Morello's guitar play. Complex arrangements and the choice of atonal harmonic chords that you can only otherwise find in avantgarde music.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Aug. 04 2002,02:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Best Bands that are no more:

Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine

Smashing Pumpkins

Pink Floyd

Best Bands now:

System of a Down <-fave

Mathew Good Band

The Offspring (even though I've mostly hated the stuff after Ixnay on the Hombre, that CD and all the ones before are great. "Self Esteem" is IMHO the ultimate punk rock song.)

Pearl Jam

Pennywise<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, must say that i pretty much agree about the Offspring thing, i've recently downloaded self esteem just cuz it's sooo sweet.

I like the beginning of the song when they all scream that lalalaaa thing

well my fauvorite bands are AD/DC and Iron Maiden. biggrin.gif

why such old bands?? because they still rock after all the years! wink.gif

i forgot about the rolling stones, and the greatfull dead, they are also on my top 5 of greatest rock bands ever

I must be old! lol

It would be interesting to see this thread split in two types of opinions; A musicians point of view / and a listeners point of view. I'm still waiting to hear a decent guitar lead sense the 80's. When Nirvana and Buns and Hoses hit the seen years ago, most of us guitarists became very unhappy campers.

Aerosmith, AC/DC, Scorpions, Dio. Ozzy w/Randy and Jake, Ratt.

Dream Theater are amazing, I don't think any other band could compete with them musically.

RED