Sign in to follow this  
rangerpl

Wargame: AirLand Battle

Yes, it really has a lot of potential and even the SP campaigns are surprisingly interesting but still need some improvements.

The only thing missing is the ability to destroy bridges and to cross rivers with amphibious vehicels

Free DLC is out - includes conquest mode as well as new units. West Germany finally gets a decent fighter in the F-4F ICE.

My ingame name is ziiip if anyone wants to add me as friend.

Did you SEE that map? It's like Takistan!

This is a whole new ballgame.

I think the maps are big enough as they are tbh. Even on 10V10 it can be big and fights can be far between.

The battles are tactical, not strategic. Do you really need full BVR simulation? The size of the map should be around the range of artillery, and they've got that down.

well, the impression I have is that they are aiming for a bigger scope, and they are at least marketing as such. Besides, bigger maps means in general more variation and more complexity. But what I actuallly see is that their bigger map is smaller than Chernarus.

Anyway, I've almost downloaded my version (Linux, of course). I'll be happy to check it out.

It'd be nice to see better map design from them. Right now the maps remind me of C&C Generals with all the chokepoints.

I made a Video that I would like to share :)

Tell me what you think of it

I made a Video that I would like to share :)

Tell me what you think of it

I enjoyed that video Tonci! It was a good idea to show the tactical view after the cinematic part to put the whole thing in context. For instance I had no idea what the smoke screen was supposed to achieve until I saw the nest of AT infantry in the next scene! I hope you make more videos like this in the near future!

Really nice video, thanks Tonci. I am considering getting this game, your video only made my decision easier

The latest dev blogs include details of the campaigns and a description of how naval assets will be implemented in the upcoming Red Dragon. Love their ambition for this series!

http://devblog.wargame-ab.com/

This Red Dragon will be a DLC, expansion or stand-alone?

Really tempted to buy it in this middle week madness on Steam, but my experience with RUSE (which is the closest thing I got to this) wasn't so great.

And there is the Humble Bundle with both Batman games, FEAR 2 and 3 and more: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Red Dragon is their next stand alone installment.

The series is both similar and dissimilar to RUSE. Certainly realism/authenticity is the main driver in the Wargame series. What did you dislike about RUSE, perhaps people here can confirm for you if those aspects are the same or different in these games?

Well, I am looking for something to deal with my WiC addition :P Tactics on small scale over grand scheme strategy.

I was overwhelmed with all the things happenning at once in RUSE (on the little that I played it) and the second part of Tonci video didn't help so much in that case. The annoouncment of another game so quickly isn't either.

But I might end buying it, sure as hell isn't a bad game, in fact, might be the best strategy game avaible now. (As I'm waiting for the "all in" package for Rome 2)

Edited by Smurf

I disliked the ressource management/aquisition in RUSE alot. Taking over little stations with fast scouts asap so i could build the essential stuff felt overall wrong for a game that boasts massive landscapes. Then came the Artillery ... there was no reason to build tanks at all (against AI) when all you need was one fast scout unit to light the enemy up, then 12 arty pieces won the battle before it even started (which also rendered the ruse aspect of the game void, there was no incentive deploying paper tanks).

Wargame series is still on my "winter sale buy @ 5€" list though :D

Well Tonci's video was a recording in both the first and second parts, he was moving the mouse around rapidly to show the viewer which vehicle types were present beneath the icons. During the actual gameplay he would not necessarily have been all that active, though he would have to confirm that. Wargame is not a "click's-per-minute" type game; although a lot was happening much of it was autonomous, game's aren't won by the person who issues the most orders in a short space of time.

There is less micromanagement than WiC because in reality it is much more about the grand strategy than the small scale tactics. Having said that a lot of WiC fans have made the move and loved it.

As for the surprisingly short time between releases I agree that does raise eyebrows. However, the truth is that so far it has not been an issue. AirLand Battle was a big advance on European Escalation with jets, dynamic campaigns and improved visuals while Red Dragon promises naval warfare, amphibious landings, larger maps and tons of new units so these aren't just lazy rehashes of the same old game.

Well Tonci's video was a recording in both the first and second parts, he was moving the mouse around rapidly to show the viewer which vehicle types were present beneath the icons. During the actual gameplay he would not necessarily have been all that active, though he would have to confirm that. Wargame is not a "click's-per-minute" type game; although a lot was happening much of it was autonomous, game's aren't won by the person who issues the most orders in a short space of time.

There is less micromanagement than WiC because in reality it is much more about the grand strategy than the small scale tactics. Having said that a lot of WiC fans have made the move and loved it.

As for the surprisingly short time between releases I agree that does raise eyebrows. However, the truth is that so far it has not been an issue. AirLand Battle was a big advance on European Escalation with jets, dynamic campaigns and improved visuals while Red Dragon promises naval warfare, amphibious landings, larger maps and tons of new units so these aren't just lazy rehashes of the same old game.

Yeah it was mostly a "mark everything and order attack move" thing wit a few minor adjustements. WG:AB defiantely isn´t a fast klick game.

Well... had the intention to buy it but the sale ended xD

Will be mine on the Black Friday or Xmas sales for sure.

More to the point, in each game/expansion we've had Wargame move from all-ground to air-ground to air-ground-water... so in a sense the greater complexity of Wargame: Red Dragon is from/by adding entirely new (for the series) warfare aspects that have noticeable affect on the other aspects by their presence (or even the threat of their presence).