Sign in to follow this  
Alabatross

Bohemia, when you add jets please make them crash realistically :)

Also will we be able to eject from the seat (with the seat actually), and then the parachute deploys from the seat?

That would be really cool.

And when a rocket hits the wings they fall off and the plane starts spinning wildly.

I was assuming this was already a feature in Arma, itd be pretty stupid if it wasnt lol

Neither of those two is.

The wing thing is very straightforward to do but I meant I thought ejecting was already in ARMA. For the wing just blow it off and let the physics handle the rest. Someone said in Arma 2 helicopters used to lose control when hit by an AA missile but in arma 3 they just fall like a rock, so its definitely doable to have jets spin out.

Its pretty sad if ejecting isn't in honestly.. The issue with ARMA I'm starting to see is its incredibly inconsistent. You have some parts of the game very very polished and very well done and then others are neglected. So what if not everyone likes flying helicopters/jets? SOMEONE has to and why should they experience a dumbed down version of the game just because their role isn't popular?

very well done! this would be cool and it seems rather simple to implement, maybe after release, we are at 2/3 months i don't beleave we could see such things but..

Gotty, not to steal the moderator's thunder but if you're going to quote just take a snippet as there's now a huge quote for the tiniest of remarks :x

Also, when you add jets? XD Maybe they like just the single jet perfectly :')

Even if we don´t get it, someone will create 5000 scripts so it will work. Like everything with this game.

Edited by RushHour

Bohemia, please implement what OP suggested. Created a mission today that has an air run, the 3 HMG trucks I had made the plane crash.. And it ended up bouncing against the buildings. I dont think I need to say any more.

Bohemia, please implement what OP suggested. Created a mission today that has an air run, the 3 HMG trucks I had made the plane crash.. And it ended up bouncing against the buildings. I dont think I need to say any more.

This thread is 10 months old. That's all I'm going to say.

Well it's confirmed that we'll never see BIS implement weapon resting. Not officially confirmed,

Well don't you feel silly now :)

But yes, there is no reason why something like this shouldn't be implemented. As was stated previously, it's easy, cheap (in terms of processing/graphics/physics, etc), and would look much better than the current state.

I know it's been 10 months, but look at that quote - that guy was genuinely positive we'd never see weapon resting. And now look - it's officially confirmed for the marksman DLC.

Just because it's been a long time doesn't mean you should give up.

Bohemia - it's OK to delete the destroyed plane model upon crash.

This thread is 10 months old. That's all I'm going to say.

Well the issue wasnt fixed, I was googling for a solution for this and stumbled on this thread, which is unfortunately still relevant.

Engine optimization is the key problem with making these things. Is it really worth making a point to get across more visually enhanced? That's not really going to have an effect on gameplay positively? You shoot down a jet, your crazy happy about it, it crashes, ok. Same scenario, but with prettier effects, same thing, but less FPS... Not really worth it, imho.

Guys you do realize that in arma 3, if you bank your airplane to the side it will glide towards that side instead of turn to that direction. That's all I'll say about plane crashing in arma 3.

Edited by Denco

Guys you do realize that in arma 3, if you bank your airplane to the side it will glide towards that side instead of turn to that direction. That's all I'll say about plane crashing in arma 3.
\

They still work on the flight model some of the time, not too often. It's gotten better since Beta, but it can be better. Not sure exactly what that has to do with crashing though...

\

They still work on the flight model some of the time, not too often. It's gotten better since Beta, but it can be better. Not sure exactly what that has to do with crashing though...

Just trying to point out that there is still a lot of improvements to be done when it comes to fixed wing and something like this probably is low priority to BI. Don't get me wrong I would love to see better airplanes crashes.

I would say you can crash a plane pretty realistically. what happens after the crash is not so realistic.

to make a plane break up on a crash they would need to have new dammage models for the planes. i dont see this happening anytime soon

I would say you can crash a plane pretty realistically. what happens after the crash is not so realistic.

to make a plane break up on a crash they would need to have new dammage models for the planes. i dont see this happening anytime soon

Considering a new damage model should probably have been done around A2.. Seriously though, ARMA jet crashes always look awesome.. Until the jet hits the ground.

... Seriously though, ARMA jet crashes always look awesome.. Until the jet hits the ground.

I just saw a Wipeout get shot down. It had a big fireball and a black smoketrail after it, as it spun towards the ground. I couldn't see the ground impact, but the descend looked awesome, as valentinbk wrote.

Considering a new damage model should probably have been done around A2.. Seriously though, ARMA jet crashes always look awesome.. Until the jet hits the ground.

A new damage model was implemented with Operation Arrowhead. That's why there's locational damage for vehicles. Modeling/animating a vehicle to come apart, however, is very very time-consuming.

I had a very interesting experience on a pub server recently. I was in a buzzard, engaged in air-to-air combat with a TKing dipshit on my own team. He got behind me and got off a couple missiles, I managed to mostly avoid them with wild-ass turns, rolls, massive jinking, and flares, but one detonated close enough to cause some seemingly minor damage and buffeting. I chased him down, but then my engine just died, steady loss of power, so I put two up his tailpipe as revenge, then try to find a soft spot. As I'm doing this, the engine comes back again, steadily up to full power. I turn for home, I'm out over the water heading for the main Altis airport, and the engine drops out again. I think "Screw it, I'm close enough and high enough to glide in and put it somewhere inside the fence", and about 5 seconds later the whole bird blows up.

I don't know if it was a fluke, or what, but to me it shows they have massively improved aircraft damage since the old days (ArmA 1).

But hell, back in ArmA 1 I got hit while flying a helicopter. My engine pretty much stopped cold, yet I somehow managed to glide the Blackhawk 800-1000 meters from the spot I got hit at, to a flat area only 100 meters away from my initially planned LZ, and land without blowing up. (Rough landing though)

A new damage model was implemented with Operation Arrowhead. That's why there's locational damage for vehicles. Modeling/animating a vehicle to come apart, however, is very very time-consuming.

They could implement even the most progressive damage model in the world, without proper visual feedback it just won't really be worth much.

I had a very interesting experience on a pub server recently. I was in a buzzard, engaged in air-to-air combat with a TKing dipshit on my own team. He got behind me and got off a couple missiles, I managed to mostly avoid them with wild-ass turns, rolls, massive jinking, and flares, but one detonated close enough to cause some seemingly minor damage and buffeting. I chased him down, but then my engine just died, steady loss of power, so I put two up his tailpipe as revenge, then try to find a soft spot. As I'm doing this, the engine comes back again, steadily up to full power. I turn for home, I'm out over the water heading for the main Altis airport, and the engine drops out again. I think "Screw it, I'm close enough and high enough to glide in and put it somewhere inside the fence", and about 5 seconds later the whole bird blows up.

I don't know if it was a fluke, or what, but to me it shows they have massively improved aircraft damage since the old days (ArmA 1).

But hell, back in ArmA 1 I got hit while flying a helicopter. My engine pretty much stopped cold, yet I somehow managed to glide the Blackhawk 800-1000 meters from the spot I got hit at, to a flat area only 100 meters away from my initially planned LZ, and land without blowing up. (Rough landing though)

Something similar happened to me yesterday - cool surprise!