Sign in to follow this  
Alabatross

Bohemia, when you add jets please make them crash realistically :)

I would like to see this as well. ArmA has historically had the weird unrealistic crashes like in BF3, would be nice to see a change. Maybe something sort of like in IL-2, but with more debris and a better explosion. :)

This is all a matter of taste, gentelmen.

If damage model of the vehicles will be redone, please, for all holy, give to the players ability to disable these new more realistic features.

I know, that after this post I will be torn to pieces, but I have to say what I want to for so long time, already.

I like all this unrealistic things, such as - no dismemberment, 2D optical sights within black stuff around reticle, and unharmed 3D models of destroyed combat vehicles without any missing parts, but with only changed textures.

Holy Mother of God ! If any one will ever know, how ferociously i hate those things, when armored vehicles in OFP became all warped after destruction ! Or when in ArmA II MBT \ IFVs lost their tracks in same situation ! And yes, you all know what about I will talk next...

Jets... A-10 and Su-25, that lost their wings after crash... God... It just make me mad.

Why, man ?! It's so realistic !, - you will say.

Well, yes, of course, it's realistic, this one is what happen in real life in such situations.

Yes, it is right. But...

What I will say next, will be, a little, hm,... unexpected, may be, but, nevertheless...

I just like all these contradictions to realism, because I really like, how it looks. Yes, I like whole, not dismemberment bodys of dead soldiers, not cause violence or gore frighten or worried me (I'm ok with this), but just because i really like to see them as a whole and not torn apart. The same for vehicles - not warp, broken apart, but an intact thing, exept for burned textures.

Because in my opinion it brings more atmosphere to the game. When bodys of dead soldiers and destroyed vehicles plays the role of monuments to themselves, to their previous lifes.

I'm against all these improvements not as a whole, but as an unalternative implementation. Please, leave us ability to chose. Via config, for example.

P.S. Gentelmen, please understand me, - I'm not little kid, that likes CoD, or something like this. I was with OFP since it's release. And i'm not trying to ruin the realistic way of ArmA's evolution, - I just want to have a choice.

I see your point but something like this or this wouldn't tell a better history or create a good "mistery" on what happened? (@DCS:I would never expect something like that on Arma no matter what; @gore: rulled out by Devs)

@Smurf,

Well, as I already mentioned above - it's a matter of taste. Speaking honestly, I'm clearly understand, that damage model for planes, for example, from DCS, or Il-2 Shturmovik, is much more appropriate in sense of realism, and, as a consequence, for immersion in the convensional sense. Yes, it's true...

But... Damn, it's looks like I'm failing to formulate it's right...

To my mind it's ruins immersion from one end, at the same time, while build it up from another. Well, may be an example, that i want to give is not the best, but our discussed situation is like what we had with postprocessing back in time. When all of it was monolith and undivied, it was a lot of problems for considerable amount of people, that concludes in question - "to use, or not to use ?" (just like "to be or not to be ?") ©. :) Now, when we have all this postprocessing functions separately, it became much more friendly to the player. For example, I'm now use bloom, SSAO and caustics, but disable both blur options (radial and motion).

So, for damage models and dismemberment, it's the same - I'm not against it, if majority of our community wants this. I just want to notice, that I like things close to it, but not the same, and from a little bit another point of view.

Edited by Shadow_Vit

I agree on this idea, but still I would left models of destroyed aircraft in it's place for low-speed crashes.

I said that in my original post, I said crash landings/low speed crashed would do what currently happens (leaves a damaged but relatively in-tact model) not pitch black but also not crazy detailed

This is all a matter of taste, gentelmen.

If damage model of the vehicles will be redone, please, for all holy, give to the players ability to disable these new more realistic features.

I know, that after this post I will be torn to pieces, but I have to say what I want to for so long time, already.

I like all this unrealistic things, such as - no dismemberment, 2D optical sights within black stuff around reticle, and unharmed 3D models of destroyed combat vehicles without any missing parts, but with only changed textures.

Holy Mother of God ! If any one will ever know, how ferociously i hate those things, when armored vehicles in OFP became all warped after destruction ! Or when in ArmA II MBT \ IFVs lost their tracks in same situation ! And yes, you all know what about I will talk next...

Jets... A-10 and Su-25, that lost their wings after crash... God... It just make me mad.

Why, man ?! It's so realistic !, - you will say.

Well, yes, of course, it's realistic, this one is what happen in real life in such situations.

Yes, it is right. But...

What I will say next, will be, a little, hm,... unexpected, may be, but, nevertheless...

I just like all these contradictions to realism, because I really like, how it looks. Yes, I like whole, not dismemberment bodys of dead soldiers, not cause violence or gore frighten or worried me (I'm ok with this), but just because i really like to see them as a whole and not torn apart. The same for vehicles - not warp, broken apart, but an intact thing, exept for burned textures.

Because in my opinion it brings more atmosphere to the game. When bodys of dead soldiers and destroyed vehicles plays the role of monuments to themselves, to their previous lifes.

I'm against all these improvements not as a whole, but as an unalternative implementation. Please, leave us ability to chose. Via config, for example.

P.S. Gentelmen, please understand me, - I'm not little kid, that likes CoD, or something like this. I was with OFP since it's release. And i'm not trying to ruin the realistic way of ArmA's evolution, - I just want to have a choice.

You're a very very very small minority with that opinion, though

This is a simulation, and the crashes in ARMA are playstation 2 quality

You're a very very very small minority with that opinion, though. This is a simulation, and the crashes in ARMA are playstation 2 quality

It doesn't worried me.

As I already said above - it's a matter of taste, and not of a strategic evolution. If you want new system, well, go ahead - i'm not against. But I'm against the situation, when you trying to take away my 8-bit Dandy quality crashes. :)

I'm not against implementation of anything new, i'm just interested in ability to have a choice. ;)

It doesn't worried me.

As I already said above - it's a matter of taste, and not of a strategic evolution. If you want new system, well, go ahead - i'm not against. But I'm against the situation, when you trying to take away my 8-bit Dandy quality crashes. :)

I'm not against implementation of anything new, i'm just interested in ability to have a choice. ;)

So you prefer crashes that turn your plane into a crispy flaming turd?

Having better crash models can enhance infantry combat in many ways as well, like what was the speed of the aircraft, where was it going, can you rescue your crashed team mates, and salvaging.

When they crash have them do this:

rather than:

(bf3 clip) (1:46)

Usually what happens is the nose hits something and the jet completely stops, and then *poof*

In most games the jet completely explodes when just the nose taps an object, or sometimes itll just leave a big grey burned shell of a jet to tumble around. Where in the top video you can clearly see that the plane pretty much disintegrates and looks like its clipping right through the ground. BF3 and other games don't make it feel like the plane is actually crumpling up as it crashes.

Im not saying to crumple the plane, just don't make it come to a dead stop and then puff into a ball of fire. The best way to do this would be to spawn a bunch of debris objects within the explosion, and deleting the actual vehicle after letting it pass under the terrain (to simulate the "crumpling")

http://i.imgur.com/Vx9wg3U.jpg

compared to what happens in BF3

http://i.imgur.com/t2xxFhr.png

and also the crash sites:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/23/xinsrc_472020523104667114964.jpg

Of course this is only if the jet is headed straight at the ground, crash landings/skidding the current system works great from what ive seen with the helicopters. So no change needed there.

I plan on flying jets alot ingame, and nothing would be cooler than to have the jet crash realistically when I eject (if we can eject) and it would be cool for other players to witness the crash. And in other game modes (wasteland) you could even scavenge the crash.

And please make sure the explosion cloud is big enough :) its almost always too small and looks cheap in games

edit: found a perfect example of the bad bf3 crash:

see the delay?

Lol you have really given this some thought. The logic is sound with me.

Why have you not made a feedback Tracker post yet for this issue since you put tons of effort into this?

Why have you not made a feedback Tracker post yet for this issue since you put tons of effort into this?

Didn't know I could do that :o

If the destruction system is like ArmA 2, they already have a system to substitute wrecked models after they come to rest on the ground (I think?). I guess the remaining thing for your request is to have them behave more as you would expect them to when they hit the ground at high speeds at steep angles. I think the fact they turn into tumbling balls of flame at shallow angles is pretty okay, actually.

So you prefer crashes that turn your plane into a crispy flaming turd?

I prefer for example weapon resting more than this :rolleyes:

In my opinion what we have now is acceptable. Of course this would be cooler but not that necessary.

In my opinion what we have now is acceptable. Of course this would be cooler but not that necessary.

Its not acceptable at all :\

The current "crashes" are fine for shallow angles, but at steep angles its a huge let down. Ill be playing and just see a huge black burned jet laying in the street of aqua marina with a column of fire 1/15th its size..

The rest of the game is moving forward in quality and if we don't carry some things along then inconsistencies will be all over the place. Jets and helicopters are going to be crashing on your screen alot, and if they don't look half way decent its going to be annoying and unrealistic.

It'd be cool to see, but In Arma I can't see the need for soft body physics in a crash animation.

What we have no looks ok :)

Well it's confirmed that we'll never see BIS implement weapon resting. Not officially confirmed, though it is safe to assume so as it's been requested for so many years with no good word from the devs and no plans on expanding gameplay at all...But let's not derail the thread about what you'd rather see as this thread is about realistic/acceptable aerial crashes. If you'd like to see BIS follow the CoD business style and roll out new ArmA's with nothing new, feel free to keep buying - it would be nice to discuss do-able features without having someone unconditionally defend BIS' lack of innovation. :rolleyes:

Edited by zooloo75

Well it's confirmed that we'll never see BIS implement weapon resting. Not officially confirmed, though it is safe to assume so as it's been requested for so many years with no good word from the devs and no plans on expanding gameplay at all...But let's not derail the thread about what you'd rather see as this thread is about realistic/acceptable aerial crashes. If you'd like to see BIS follow the CoD business style and roll out new ArmA's with nothing new, feel free to keep buying - it would be nice to discuss do-able features without having someone unconditionally defend BIS' lack of innovation. :rolleyes:

actually creating a inline gameplay model is harder then just modding it.

all these features like weapon resting etc. can cause gigantic bugs and seeing they are so pressing to release this ontime i dont think they want to take the chance.

just be patient. they will come around to it eventually. right?

:(

It would also be nice for someone to acknowledge they need to stay on topic without closing with provocative OT comments. Take your own advice and stay on topic, please.

actually creating a inline gameplay model is harder then just modding it.

all these features like weapon resting etc. can cause gigantic bugs and seeing they are so pressing to release this ontime i dont think they want to take the chance.

just be patient. they will come around to it eventually. right?

:(

This sounds right

Not much risk involved with polishing the crashes a bit further, but doing something as complex as weapon resting would take up alot of their time for something many players are doing well without.

To get back on topic lets look at this:

That crash looks REALLY cool until it hits the ground. Suddenly the plane seems like a sturdy tin can rather than a fragile piece of technology, know what I mean?

Also note that the plane switches models as soon as the wing taps the ground. But if it passed through the ground it would look like that plane is smashing into the ground right in front of the player

Edited by Alabatross

I think in ArmA, where the distance to the explosion is always different, major role in immersion played by particles. So, i hope when the devs finish with physix and CPU optimizations we have space for more particles. Also, we have color casting from direct light, and its are huge tool for

But i would be glad to see new damaged models inside of future addon.

Edited by Anachoretes

this could also apply for water crashes with the old version, so the wreck sinks but some metal flies around from the inpact

I think in ArmA, where the distance to the explosion is always different, major role in immersion played by particles. So, i hope when the devs finish with physix and CPU optimizations we have space for more particles. Also, we have color casting from direct light, and its are huge tool for

But i would be glad to see new damaged models inside of future addon.

some of the blasts in that video looked amazing, especially 0:31

I wholeheartedly agree with OP & with d_wolf, the fact people dont and say how it'd be not worth it or a waste of time i feel hold this game back.

Explosions in this game look disgusting lets face it. The burnt out vehicle also looks super ugly low res even on ultra everything

I wholeheartedly agree with OP & with d_wolf, the fact people dont and say how it'd be not worth it or a waste of time i feel hold this game back.

Yeah when I read the OP and the subsequent replies on the first page I came to the last page to reply with basically exactly what you wrote. The way OP even demonstrated the desired effect with a very simple yet accurate image representation is even better.

I didn't see a ticket anywhere, I'll re-check the OP for one. If not someone should make one asap so this can get coded in before the game goes gold and jets can nose dive into the ground and bounce off with some damaged, black model. That's not how it goes in real life, not even close. I'd love to see Arma 3 represent the true nature of jet crashes done properly.

+1 OP.