Sign in to follow this  
Alabatross

Bohemia, when you add jets please make them crash realistically :)

Update 8/10/2013, Feedback tracker for this feature: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12633

When they crash have them do this:

rather than:

(bf3 clip) (1:46)

Usually what happens is the nose hits something and the jet completely stops, and then *poof*

In most games the jet completely explodes when just the nose taps an object, or sometimes itll just leave a big grey burned shell of a jet to tumble around. Where in the top video you can clearly see that the plane pretty much disintegrates and looks like its clipping right through the ground. BF3 and other games don't make it feel like the plane is actually crumpling up as it crashes.

Im not saying to crumple the plane, just don't make it come to a dead stop and then puff into a ball of fire. The best way to do this would be to spawn a bunch of debris objects within the explosion, and deleting the actual vehicle after letting it pass under the terrain (to simulate the "crumpling")

Vx9wg3U.jpg

The end result of the picture above is a jet appearing to completely collapse into itself when it crashes, just like in the first video.

here is an arma 2 crash:

That crash looks REALLY cool until it hits the ground. Suddenly the plane seems like a sturdy tin can rather than a fragile piece of technology, know what I mean?

Also note that the plane switches models as soon as the wing taps the ground. But if it passed through the ground it would look like that plane is smashing into the ground right in front of the player

This is what happens in BF3 and A2:

t2xxFhr.png

and also the crash sites:

xinsrc_472020523104667114964.jpg

Of course this is only if the jet is headed straight at the ground, crash landings/skidding the current system works great from what ive seen with the helicopters. So no change needed there.

I plan on flying jets alot ingame, and nothing would be cooler than to have the jet crash realistically when I eject (if we can eject) and it would be cool for other players to witness the crash. And in other game modes (wasteland) you could even scavenge the crash.

And please make sure the explosion cloud is big enough :) its almost always too small and looks cheap in games

edit: found a perfect example of the bad bf3 crash:

see the delay? Edited by Alabatross

thats really not an highly important feature... We can go on with more eralistic chopper crash, more realistic tank explosions, vehicle explosion. Gore...

The bf3 clip didnt actually look that bad albiet I would have preferred a 3rd person view to compare properly. I will scrounge around.

No no no.

They need to crash authentically and accessibly.

thats really not an highly important feature... We can go on with more eralistic chopper crash, more realistic tank explosions, vehicle explosion. Gore...

The same would apply to helicopters, and it could benefit all explosions as a whole without much extra work. I don't really care much for gore

The bf3 clip didnt actually look that bad albiet I would have preferred a 3rd person view to compare properly. I will scrounge around.

I've seen it a billion times when I used to play it on console, but I couldn't find a clip of the crash error im talking about.

In that clip the belly of the jet hits the wall first and then it slides up and comes to a dead stop for a small second and then puffs into fire.

Usually what happens is the nose hits something and the jet completely stops, and then *poof*

No no no.

What do you mean

Edited by Alabatross

Heres an even better video of how jets should crash:

The jet just vanishes. Its like it passed right through the ground and only left a fireball behind it (rather than tapping the ground and then poof). Obviously this is because the jet is crumpling, I don't think the devs should waste their time making the jets crumple up or actually break apart, just let the jet pass under the map and then delete it, and use the fireball to hide the spawning a bunch of debris. By time the fire is done you have a crash zone similar to the one I posted

compared to what happens in other games: (1:46)

Edited by Alabatross

Have another video i dunno say not bf3?

HawX and Ace combat's crashes looked even worse

BF3 is the best of the worst crash I could find. Not many other modern titles have planes

I just wish BI improved their vehicle wrecks models. Destroyed vehicle don't just turn black when destroyed. Battlefield 3 wrecks are a good example.

Also exploding vehicles aren't realistic. Vehicles don't explode if you shoot at them, if you jump from a cliff or even if you hit a wall at really high speed (These are just hollywood effects). They just disintegrate and some parts get burned from explosions.

Replacing the vehicle model with a black model doesn't appeal anymore.

We have to go from this:

2013-07-07_000012ystl.jpg

To this:

burned_car_by_ana_eneeusev.jpg

dm-sd-04-149857os12.jpg

^ I agree. The black-textured vehicles with a fireball inside look worse than the damage model of BF 1942...

No no no.

Please elaborate how a crash can be made "accessible".

Would be nice if they are able to do something about it, always fun watching jets/helos coming down in a ball of flames, only to be disappointed usually when it does a little bounce then explode.

Would be nice if they are able to do something about it, always fun watching jets/helos coming down in a ball of flames, only to be disappointed usually when it does a little bounce then explode.

Thats how I feel

This might be quite hard to tackle. I guess the best option is to cover it up with effects, but even then, funny things might happen. Like a jet crashes into a hill side, there's a big explosion with debris, but you can see the wreckage rolling down.

Meanwhile in Battlefield 3

Haha yup. Its also weird how the jets float like they're in water when no one is in them

Building more advanced destruction models is a severe waste of time.

The current destruct models are basically the healthy vehicle state minus wheels, do-dads/thingamajiggers and windows. That's fine enough. People get it that they are destroyed.

What should be focused on is making helicopters and planes not explode if they tap into something. A helicopter's rotors should break off if they clip a tree, not explode the entire chopper.

Please elaborate how a crash can be made "accessible".

Same way you make a military sandbox accessible, water it down.

The crash system I showed in the original post is still very simple.

It requires no damage animations and it requires no new damage models (other than some scrap metal but thats crazy simple) I even said "Of course this is only if the jet is headed straight at the ground, crash landings/skidding the current system works great from what ive seen with the helicopters. So no change needed there."

The style it crashes just influences the realism

Making explosions "accessible" is nonsense and you are well aware of that.

Such offtopic trying-to-be-subtle criticism is not welcomed. If you are not happy with a certain feature, why not please post your feedback in the correct threads where it can result in actual constructive discussion?

Making explosions "accessible" is nonsense and you are well aware of that.

Such offtopic trying-to-be-subtle criticism is not welcomed. If you are not happy with a certain feature, why not please post your feedback in the correct threads where it can result in actual constructive discussion?

Your right I apologize.

To add to the discussion I agree that crashes and even vehicle damage in general could be improved. Little things such as the wings being able to blown off the jets and vehicles going on fire etc could really add to the experience.

Best example I can think of vehicle damage recently is Iron Front, for jets I think Albatross's suggestion would work well with minimal fuss.

Realistic crashes would be pretty awesome, but it's not a high priority feature now, Imo. There are other things that need more polishing. When the add jets in the first place I'll be happy already.

Im not saying to crumple the plane, just don't make it come to a dead stop and then puff into a ball of fire. The best way to do this would be to spawn a bunch of debris objects within the explosion, and deleting the actual vehicle after letting it pass under the terrain (to simulate the "crumpling")

I don't know why everybody's knocking this, it's actually a superb idea and better than the current method for several reasons.

1.) It's better for performance, as the wrecks are deleted and don't clutter up the battlefield as a result. Less models and textures for the game to load and keep track of.

2.) It's actually fairly easy to implement, some airplane mods from ArmA 2 and possibly ArmA 1 already featured this, the airplane being deleted upon impact, that is. Just a few lines of script and coding, no new models, meshes, and textures to do.

3.) It's more realistic! When an airplane crashes into the ground going faster than the speed of sound, it's not going to be in one nice solid piece after impact. There's hardly anything left after an airplane crashes into the ground at a high rate of speed. They're very fragile machines, whose wings can be ripped off simply by overstressing the airframe during elaborate maneuvers, much less crashing into solid bedrock at supersonic speeds.

Edited by Laqueesha

Realistic crashes would be pretty awesome, but it's not a high priority feature now, Imo. There are other things that need more polishing. When the add jets in the first place I'll be happy already.

The beauty of this is I've already designed a basic system that doesn't involve too much work at all, and I think thats where community feedback as a whole is going to shine. Thousands of heads are better than 4-5 designers :P Its way better than asking the devs to model texture and animate a bigger library of wildlife.

I just played AllinArma and flew the jets, LOVE how they fly. I was very sad to see how it crashed... talk about immersion breaking. I was flying straight towards the ground going so fast, I was like "this is going to be good" *thump* single column of fire and just a tumbling black body...

I don't know why everybody's knocking this, it's actually a superb idea and better than the current method for several reasons.

1.) It's better for performance, as the wrecks are deleted and don't clutter up the battlefield as a result. Less models and textures for the game to load and keep track of.

2.) It's actually fairly easy to implement, some airplane mods from ArmA 2 and possibly ArmA 1 already featured this, the airplane being deleted upon impact, that is. Just a few lines of script and coding, no new models, meshes, and textures to do.

3.) It's more realistic! When an airplane crashes into the ground going faster than the speed of sound, it's not going to be in one nice solid piece after impact. There's hardly anything left after an airplane crashes into the ground at a high rate of speed. They're very fragile machines, whose wings can be ripped off simply by overstressing the airframe during elaborate maneuvers, much less crashing into solid bedrock at supersonic speeds.

I agree on this idea, but still I would left models of destroyed aircraft in it's place for low-speed crashes.