Sign in to follow this  
helldesign

Arma 3 -> Windows vs Linux server performance

Hi,

I'm looking for info about which OS is better for hosting Arma (3) server in terms of performance. I know that usually the answer would be "Linux" because is lighter than Windows, but it's also important if the software is optimized to run under that OS (moreover that currently the server have to use WINE to run under Linux).

So will I have any visible performance gains running the server under Linux over Windows? Isn't it the same if the server runs with WINE like if it runs under Windows?

Thanks

I would say inherently windows at the moment just because its supported, but when the linux support comes out then its a ball in the air really, it also majorly depends on your abilities as a user.

If you have never used Linux before then don't get it thinking you will be a wizz kid with linux after 4 hours.

Also running Arma 3 off WINE is not really that good at the moment as with all things the straight up version is whats best.

using WINE + A3 windows server makes nearly no difference to Windows OS + A3 Windows server ...

in our community use ubuntu 12.04.

Works great even multiple servers while riding in wine.

Filling the 2 servers with 40 players in what has consumed maximum RAM is 1.5 GB per server.

And processor goes a little more fair but for 2 servervidores of arma3 and Teamspeak with I3 is more than enough.

;)

using WINE + A3 windows server makes nearly no difference to Windows OS + A3 Windows server ...

Ah okay, so if thats the case then whats the point in working towards a linux binary? I'm just curious if it gives the same performance as using WINE.

I'm curious as to what advantages you would get if you ran the server on WINE or through a Linux Binary now, and if the advantages are slim, then why not just drop the Linux binary and teach everyone how to setup and use WINE?

Ah okay, so if thats the case then whats the point in working towards a linux binary? I'm just curious if it gives the same performance as using WINE.

I'm curious as to what advantages you would get if you ran the server on WINE or through a Linux Binary now, and if the advantages are slim, then why not just drop the Linux binary and teach everyone how to setup and use WINE?

end user convenience :) also the company's that rent out servers are not gong to want run a linux server+wine to get a windows version running.

All very true, you've answered my question so thankyou :)

Glad that your question has been answered. If you need more information you can also check out the page weloveourhost.com/linux-windows.html explaining more on the differences between the 2 hosting systems.